My new boat - Cal 25 #1194

Post pictures of your boat and sailing adventures here. Posting instructions within.
Matt B.
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: Firefly
Boat Type: Islander 28

My new boat - Cal 25 #1194

Post by Matt B. »

Some may recall that I was restoring a Cal 20, #1398. Well, that project ended last month when I found so many stress fractures in the hull - near the bow - that the repair would have been a new hull. I searched for another Cal 20 hull - intending to find a good hull with a broken rig or similar to end up with one good boat - and in the process stumbled across a nice 1970 Cal 25 in a local marina. Already in good condition, needing some work but nothing that prevents the boat from being used, the boat wasn't selling to the local yuppie "it must have a microwave and a shower" crowd.

So I bought her. <grin>

First sail was yesterday, with the previous owner. I'm her third owner, have the paperwork for the boat including maintenance records, original owners manual, and original design drawings.

Matt Beland
Islander 28 #256, SV Firefly
matt@rearviewmirror.org
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Congrats on your new boat! Sorry to hear about the trouble with the C-20, but the Cal 25 is a great boat with a very dedicated following.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Re: My new boat - Cal 25 #1194

Post by Figment »

Matt B. wrote: the boat wasn't selling to the local yuppie "it must have a microwave and a shower" crowd.

So I bought her. <grin>
I continue to be amazed by the market power of that crowd.
In a similar vein, a guy in my club recently EVEN-SWAPPED his catalina 22 (with trailer) for a catalina 27 of the same year. The 27 had been languishing on the market for over a year because it lacked any amenities beyond 12v power and hand-pumped water.
xroyal

Post by xroyal »

Good for you Matt, and you've sure got a terrific area to sail in!
Matt B.

Re: My new boat - Cal 25 #1194

Post by Matt B. »

Figment wrote:
Matt B. wrote: the boat wasn't selling to the local yuppie "it must have a microwave and a shower" crowd.

So I bought her. <grin>
I continue to be amazed by the market power of that crowd.
In a similar vein, a guy in my club recently EVEN-SWAPPED his catalina 22 (with trailer) for a catalina 27 of the same year. The 27 had been languishing on the market for over a year because it lacked any amenities beyond 12v power and hand-pumped water.
I'll never understand it either, but then, I've stopped trying. Now I just take advantage of it. My new boat is in beautiful shape, is one of the newest boats out there with a hand-laid hull instead of chop-gun, stable, goes well to weather, fast even in light winds, and for its size quite spacious, especially in the cockpit (a 7' cockpit for a 25' boat.) And it has that Cal full-width cabin for even more room below.

But because she's old and doesn't have the latest amenities, she'd been on the market for a couple of months and had the price reduced repeatedly.

Don't get it. Don't want to. Time to start planning the little bit of repair needed and then on with the upgrades and changes I want to make...
Matt Beland
matt@rearviewmirror.org
hesper
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by hesper »

Matt-
Congrats!
Back in the early '80's, a friend and rival had a Cal. Always sailing pretty well and they certainly got their money's worth. Pretty solid too. In fact, I sailed with him from south of Boston up to New Hampshire once. We lost power going under a bridge and hit the bridge with the forestay/mast. Broke the stay but the mast was undamaged.
Later, after a drifter Wednesday night race, a water balloon fight erupted. While my sisters & I pelted the Cal and my father drove, we somehow managed to T-bone the old girl with our 24 footer at full speed. We crunched the cabin pretty good but a little fiberglass put her right back in shape with no lasting prob's.
Good Luck with her.
jim
MQMurphy
Topside Painter
Boat Name: Ikey Boy
Boat Type: Paceship Westwind 24

Post by MQMurphy »

Congratulations, Matt. I was following the Cal 20 progress (Wylde Side) with interest as I am also into a project. Looks like you picked up a nice one. Good to be working on the boat, much better to be sailing the boat.
- Mike Murphy
S/V Ikey Boy
1968 Westwind 24
Matt B.

Post by Matt B. »

MQMurphy wrote:Congratulations, Matt. I was following the Cal 20 progress (Wylde Side) with interest as I am also into a project. Looks like you picked up a nice one. Good to be working on the boat, much better to be sailing the boat.
Yeah, it is nice to actually get out on the water. I'll miss the WyldSide, though; it's going to be hard getting rid of the hull, even though I know there's nothing else that can be done. The patch of hull with her hull number and a photo are going to be hanging on a wall shortly, either in my office or on the boat.

I'm also considering using the keel... that #@$@# cast iron keel... as an anchor for the new mooring. <grin>
Matt Beland
matt@rearviewmirror.org
MQMurphy
Topside Painter
Boat Name: Ikey Boy
Boat Type: Paceship Westwind 24

Post by MQMurphy »

Matt - it'd be great to see more photos of the new boat if you've got any.
- Mike Murphy
S/V Ikey Boy
1968 Westwind 24
Matt B.

Post by Matt B. »

I don't have too many - more this weekend when I finish cleaning out the boat and start my catalog of projects. Hoping to get a few more hours out on the water, too.

Here's one shot that I have down the companionway. You can see that the external brightwork needs refinishing - that really is teak, honest - but the interior woodwork is in reasonable shape. There's a repair on each side of that main bulkhead, but it was reasonably well done; all it needs is sanding to fair it in with the rest of the bulkhead and a careful use of stain, and no one will be able to see it.

Forward of the bulkhead, starboard side, there's a nice little woodstove. The chimney's visible in the other picture, just forward of the mast. The stove itself has seen a lot of use but is in very good shape, and according to the previous owner is more than capable of warming the entire boat.
Matt Beland
matt@rearviewmirror.org