Another Triton Daysailor

Post pictures of your boat and sailing adventures here. Posting instructions within.
rshowarth
Skilled Systems Installer

Another Triton Daysailor

Post by rshowarth »

Hi Tim-

I thought you might be interested in this posting for a Triton Daysailor refit on Yachtworld:

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/ ... 27026&url=

It is beautiful, but certainly makes your Daysailor look like a bargain.
Read

Catalina 27
O'Day Rhodes 19 Custodian
keelbolts

Post by keelbolts »

Is it just me or does $249, 000 seem a tad high. I could get a Bermuda 40 for that, couldn't I?
Summersdawn

Post by Summersdawn »

I believe I like Tim's Daysailor better. It seems cleaner, and more elegant (although this one is beautiful too).
Rick
Summer's Dawn
24 San Juan #380
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

I believe I like Tim's Daysailor better. It seems cleaner, and more elegant (although this one is beautiful too).
My words exactly. The extra headsail seems to clutter it up a bit and the plentitude of cockpit lockers is a bit too much for my taste but it really seems pretty nice so I won't quibble. I am also not sure I like the extended transom but I did say I wouldn't quibble didn't I... I guess it helps balance the lengthening at the bow(bowsprit) Does she sit a bit low or is it a perspective thing. I only notice it in the "aft view at anchor" photo.

I sure wish there were some more pictures. I am dying to see how close that headsail comes to the jumper struts. The bowsprit helps but it still seems pretty close.

I wonder which hull # it is/was?

It didn't take long for a great idea to get around did it?

-Britton
Ric in Richmond
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Andiamo
Boat Type: Alberg 35

Post by Ric in Richmond »

I think this one predates tims.

It is listed as a 1995.

I ike tims better.

For that price I'll go buy a bermuda 40.....or two.
Ric Bergstrom

http://andiamoadventures.blogspot.com/

Archived old blog:

http://andiamo35.blogspot.com/

~~~~~([\~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~
~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Summersdawn

Post by Summersdawn »

I was wondering about the jumpers myself. Looks like a sailmakers best friend...
Rick
Summer's Dawn
24 San Juan #380
bcooke
Master of the Arcane

Post by bcooke »

I think this one predates tims.
yeah, I think you are right. That makes three Triton daysailors that I know about. I wonder if there are any more out there? Someone should get a list going...

Rachel, is this anywhere near you? Someone else from the forum is from WI too. Any chance of sending a forum spy onboard to satisfy our curiousity?

-Britton
David VanDenburgh
Boat Name: Ariel
Boat Type: Cape Dory 36

Post by David VanDenburgh »

Hmm. Sister Bay, Wisconsin. Sailed right past there this summer. Should have stopped by for a look.

David
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

bcooke wrote: Rachel, is this anywhere near you? Someone else from the forum is from WI too. Any chance of sending a forum spy onboard to satisfy our curiousity?
-Britton
Well now, a spying mission sounds very intriguing! Alas, Sister Bay is nearly 8 hours away by car -- it's over on Lake Michigan near Green Bay. Not that a mere 8-hour-drive has stopped me in the past, mind you... (Since when does good sense prevail, anyway? ;-)

*reluctantly puts away spy toys -- for now*
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

bcooke wrote: That makes three Triton daysailors that I know about.
What's the third one?

I only know of this one (which has been for sale on and off for the past year or more) and the one I built.

The one in this ad is also the one that was featured in Cruising World back in the late 90's, I believe. It was reconfigured in the mid-90's. I might have some other pictures of this boat on an older computer hard drive. The workmanship is very nice on this one, but I never really cared for the aesthetics--somehow it just didn't work.

I referenced this "older" converted Triton when I began writing up my daysailor site way back in 2002. Here's the link to that.

If there's another Triton daysailer, though, I'd love to know about it.
Summersdawn, Ric in Richmond, and bcooke wrote:I believe I like Tim's Daysailor better.
Thanks, guys. Me too, but I might be biased.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
jollyboat
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Jollyboat

Post by jollyboat »

with the price being where it is at - i do not think the boat is realy for sale.
that can't be realistic. maybe we should all agree not to sell our tritons for less than 70 g's - then we would be in the curve - what a nutty price tag!
Brian
Jollyboat, Triton #466
Sepi,Triton #346 (1st, Triton)

No Quarter
bcooke
Master of the Arcane

Post by bcooke »

Well maybe know of is a bit too strong. I just seem to remember a mention of an earlier Triton daysailor conversion done in Maine a number of years back. Kind of a hack job if I remember correctly. Not a high end boat. I can't remember the details anymore. I would have thought the story came from Tim but maybe I took some information about this conversion and embelished it with some rumors from another Triton story somewhere.

If it wasn't for me you people wouldn't have any grist for your rumor mills.

-Britton
bcooke
Master of the Arcane

Post by bcooke »

oh, and while the price tag seems high it never hurts to ask. It really hurts to sell something you love and find out afterwards that the new owner would have gladly paid twice that amount. Trust me, it REALLY hurts...

A unique boat is hard to price. Some people have altogether too much money and what they want they get- price isn't a serious consideration.

-Britton
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando

Post by Tim »

Considering that the owner of that "other" daysailer had all the conversion work done at a boatyard, I am sure that the asking price is at least partly reflective of what was actually spent on the boat. The number of hours required for such a job is very high. I know.

Of course, the most ridiculous way to price any boat is to tally up the receipts and deem that the price. It doesn't work that way. Add in the fact that this particular boat isn't new, even if ishe could have been called new at the time the conversion was first completed. That was now at least 10 years ago.

Nonetheless, the asking price is wholly unrealistic, even for the wealthiest people who could afford it the way I can afford a lunch sandwich. Most wealthy people didn't get that way by being dumb. (Note that I said "most"...)
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating