And here she is...

Post pictures of your boat and sailing adventures here. Posting instructions within.
bhartley
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Ariel Pyxis
Boat Type: Sea Sprite 23 Cape Dory 25D

And here she is...

Post by bhartley »

Sitting in our driveway is our new Cape Dory 25D. We returned at 10 p.m. last night with her on a loaner trailer. We have our own trailer in the works. Once transfered to our trailer, she will stay in they yard until March while we do various projects that will make her perfect-ish.

For those not familiar with the 25D, she is yet another Alberg design. 25' with the head forward (no V-berth), large salon and large cockpit. Tiller steering. The 25D was my choice as the smallest, good looking boat with full standing headroom in our pricerange.

There were (for once) some pleasant surprises. First, we seem to have every morsel of documentation since the boat was delivered in 1985 including the original vinyl Cape Dory document folio. This makes my very, very organized husband very happy.

The boat has also been repowered with a Yanmar 1GM10 from the original 1GM. The spinnaker is actually an asymetrical spinnaker. Although we use our radial cut spinnaker quite a bit, the drifter will be great for our many light winds days in the dog days of summer. I never would shell out the money for one. The sails are only a few years old and have seen very little use. We were expecting original sails based on the broker's description.

We had to motor 3 hours to the marina for haul out (not a breath of air...) and the diesel purred. The boat has seen little use in the past year and this was a concern.

The survey went very well. We had spend 7-8 hours on the boat pouring over ever nook and cranny prior to the survey. The surveyor found three minor items we had not seen (two below the water line), otherwise there were no surprises. Another pleasant surprise was that all of the electronics worked (except for one light that was missing a bulb). The head isn't pumping, but it looks to just need a rebuild kit.

Our Sea Sprite came completely "unfurnished" -- nothing on board other than cushions. Not even a water logged PFD. On the new boat, the PO simply walked away (barefoot apparently as we even found a pair of nice sneakers on board). We have THREE 120' anchor rodes with chain (and anchors), enough extra genuine Yanmar parts to build a new engine, an emergency Whale pump, miles of surplus yacht braid and a lifetime supply of expired flares!

As we were getting ready to pull out, a guy walked up to me and said -- "you must be the people who stole my boat" -- yikes!!! Turns out he was the seller and was very pleasant and told us that the people he had purchased the boat from were Jack and Alice therefore the name Jackal. He was also able to answer a few questions which was helpful. I couldn't feel too bad that he sold the boat at a loss -- we couldn't have afforded her otherwise.

I've had to promise my husband not to buy any more boats for a while. Come spring we will have Sophie's Choice as we will have to sell either the Typhoon or the Sea Sprite. But that is another day... Today we're celebrating.

Bly
Ancient Race
Almost a Finish Carpenter

Post by Ancient Race »

Sweet boat, Bly. And having her in the yard, you can visit whenever the desire to scrub or putter or tweak strikes over the winter,
Tartan 27 #77
Seafarer Meridian 26
Jet 14 #952
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Whooooooo-hooooooooo!

Nice, nice boat! You've got a beauty there. I'm so happy for you! You must be thrilled to have her home now :-)

Years ago, when I had bought my first sailboat (a Montgomery 17), I went to a Monty gathering and there was a couple there with a Cape Dory 25D (they had used to own an M-17) and I went aboard for a while. I loved the arrangement down below; I thought using the forepeak for the head and for stowage was a great idea.

High fives,

--- Rachel
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Congratulations, Bly! Glad that it worked out for you. Have fun with her!
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

I always liked the 25D. You can't go wrong with Alberg.

-Britton
keelbolts

Post by keelbolts »

Very nice. I've always heard good things about Cape Dory's, in terms of workmanship, and with Alberg as the designer... Stand up head room? I may have to put the CD 25D on my list of possible next boats.
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

One nice thing about Cape Dorys (I've seen Cape Dory "manuals" where they show the construction drawings - haven't owned one), is that - although the decks are cored - the stanchions and chainplates go through non-cored areas of the deck. That is, the deck has a slightly wider area at the outer edge that is not cored, as compared to some other cored boats.

--- Rachel
windrose
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Post by windrose »

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!! :-)
s/v Wind-rose
Pearson Triton #215
West River, Chesapeake Bay
Robert The Gray

Post by Robert The Gray »

sweet looking vessel.
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

R
Former Owner: Whisper, now Alma 1960 WC Triton
Whisper Projects
Daysailfilms
AJ

Post by AJ »

Congratulations, Bly! I know a couple of people that own Cape Dorys and they absolutely love 'em. And nice boat shed, too. It must great to be able to keep your boat at home during the winter.

Can't wait to hear all about your projects as you work to make her "perfect-ish!"

AJ
bhartley

I wish!

Post by bhartley »

Sadly, the photo of the boat on the trailer was still at the boat yard in Savannah! It was a really nice shelter with a rather decrepit looking Tartan under it getting ready to be restored.

As I stepped back to take the photo, a nice guy came up and offered to take a picture of my husband and me with our new boat. Dopey me just blurted out that I was taking a picture for the insurance company in case she got destroyed in transit! Poor man.

In spite of the fact that I don't have a big enough shelter at home, it is so nice to just walk outside and check a dimension or do a little work -- or just sit and have a beer and chat about the things that need to be done.

I am amazed at the work that some of you do with your boats hours from home. I needed to do a few simple things on Ariel (an hours drive) and it took 2 hours to pack up all of the stuff I might need and then I was still missing one piece!

My husband is heading back to the demolition boat today (an O'Day 27) to decide if we are going to try to move it whole or not. Amazing our C&D landfill said they would take her whole! Not that we plan to. We will salvage as much as we can including locker lids, etc. If noone needs them, they can always be trashed later. I'm anxious to get the trailers switched (the CD25D is on a rental) so that I can start stripping the bottom.

Bly
keelbolts

Post by keelbolts »

I, also, envy you guys who can take your boats home to work on them. Here on the southern Chesapeake Bay, as far as I know, there is nobody moving boats on those nifty flatbed rigs I see in your photos. I haul out about a half hour from my home and it is a pain in the butt and the wallet. My last haulout, at $15 a day, cost $450 in dirt time alone.
bhartley

And finally she has a name!

Post by bhartley »

My husband was unmoved by any of the names on the ever growing list of possible boat names (not even by the one's HE had put on the list). I couldn't pull Ariel out of the water knowing I may never sail her again without naming the "new" boat. Our family has a need to name things to form an attachment. EVERYTHING has a name!

The new boat has been named "Pyxis". My husband has yet to learn to love the name, but it will grow on him shortly -- aided by the coffee mug imprinted with "Pyxis" he is getting for Christmas!

Pyxis is a constellation (in keeping with the other astronomically related names of the other boats). The full constellation is Pyxis Nautica for the Mariner's Compass. My husband has been working with compasses for many years. Pyxis is also the name of a Wianno Senior sailed on Little Pleasant Bay while I was growing up (not owned by me however!). I always wanted a Wianno (until I spent a semester working in a wooden boat shipyard). She was one of those boats that just took your breath away under sail.

So "Jackal" is no more (once we figure out how to get the painted name off the transom).

Happy Holidays to all,

Bly
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

bhartley wrote:...once we figure out how to get the painted name off the transom...
I have heard that oven cleaner works sometimes. I have never put this to the test.

Otherwise, don't be afraid to use acetone. It's not going to hurt your gelcoat. Don't be afraid when gelcoat-colored oxidation comes off on your rag, though.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
FloatingMoneyPit
Topside Painter

Yup, oven cleaner

Post by FloatingMoneyPit »

The "E-Z Off" they sell for cleaning ovens does indeed work. It'll take a couple of passes and will remove any wax or finish on surrounding paint/gelcoat, but it did take the name paint off my boat. She has white painted topsides and the original flag blue name paint was already fading. You could still see a faint off-white outline of the name afterwards, but with a week or two of UV rays doing their thing it looked like the name was never there. I taped off a rectangle around the name, squirted it on, and used a rag to keep the drips under control. After it soaked for a couple minutes, I wiped with the rag and some would come off. Repeated a few times and it was done.
Tartan 27
Brooklyn, NY
Robert The Gray

Post by Robert The Gray »

In the process of buffing out my old top sides paint with 3M wax/restorer my name started to come off. I was able to buff the hailing port off the stern in about 10 minutes of work. Thes product is not as abrasive as rubbing compound but it is not just a wax either. I do not know if you plan to buff out the gel coat on the way to perfection but this may solve the problem. This is a link to the product.

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?pat ... &id=659655

I may have had really crappy paint so this may not work on a well applied Awlgrip job.

By the way I have always felt that the v berthless layout for the small cruiser has a lot of advantages.

r
Former Owner: Whisper, now Alma 1960 WC Triton
Whisper Projects
Daysailfilms
dmairspotter
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Wind Horse
Boat Type: 1974 Dufour 27

Post by dmairspotter »

Congrats on the boat!

Not to be a wet blanket, but I think the 25 was one of the few (if not the only) CD not designed by Alberg..

http://www.capedory.org/specs/cd25.htm

Although I am ready to stand corrected...Still a nice boat. Good friends had one in Ct years ago (IIRC they were married on the foredeck). Cruised it all over the area.

Edit: proved myself wrong already...25D is Alberg..well a day you don't learn something is a wasted day, I always say!
AJ

Post by AJ »

Sounds like a great name for your new boat, Bly. And it makes for a great new avatar as well! Are you planning on ordering a vinyl transom graphic like that with the name superimposed over the compass points?

I'm not very good with naming things, but after a lot of thought I've decided to rename Mwingo. Given the boat was built in Scotland, I was looking through gaelic words and have pretty much settled on Iolair (sea eagle).

I've also given some thought to the proper way to go about renaming her. Some friends of mine suggested what they did with their own boat, which was to paint the old name at the bottom of the keel for a season to "retire" the name. Then paint over it the next season.

Now to figure out a safe way to get rid of the painted on name without having any effect on the white awlgrip paint of the hull underneath.

AJ

P.S. I like the subtle coffee mug move! ;-)
bhartley

Avatar -- Coffee Mug and a sneaky wife

Post by bhartley »

AJ,

The avatar is what I used on the coffee mug... Embarassingly, I sent the first one off to be made with the wrong spelling!!! It looked better as Pixys as the X fell right in the center of the compass. A sure fire way to have my husband nix the name since even I can't spell it.

Years back we found my parents a new german shepherd puppy to replace a beloved lost shepherd (abandoned on the side of the road). We bought a tag and put the dog's name on it and their phone number. How could they decline? Dad, of course, didn't even have to see the tag. One second in his arms and that puppy was gone! We're hoping the same psychology works here. Of course, the boat is alreay paid for and in the yard -- and the reason we had to cancel our Christmas in Marblehead. Hmmm.... Maybe I should have ordered a set of wine glasses and some good wine instead.

We didn't do anything too profound renaming our other boats. (Odin beware!). Miranda had been Izzy. Ariel had been Sea Quest. Pyxis was Third Alarm before she became Jackal. The first sail always includes a toast to the sea gods so I feel relatively safe!

A quick aside on renaming (as I am procrastinating...). I went to see the current owner of my grandparent's Lawley Weekender last summer. She's on the hard and in pretty rough shape. She was named Phoenix and the most divine boat I ever sailed on. She was renamed from the original Trixie Belle! The current owner was VERY disappointed to hear the origin of Phoenix's name. No romance, fires or rising from the dead. My grandmother sold her stock in Phoenix Hosiery to pay for the boat!

Back to work!

Bly
Mark.Wilme

Post by Mark.Wilme »

Nice boat - very happy for you...
Mark.
S/V Calypso. 2001 Beneteau Oceanis 381
Not quite a plastic classic yet