You want pictures, I got pictures!

Post pictures of your boat and sailing adventures here. Posting instructions within.
Aweigh329
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: Aweigh
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

You want pictures, I got pictures!

Post by Aweigh329 »

I was out yesterday between Alcatraz and Sausalito when this guy comes zooming up to me in his RHI and asked if he could shoot some photos. The results are here. http://lyonsimaging.smugmug.com/gallery/3654178

There are pics of my friend Daves boat "Answer" here. http://lyonsimaging.smugmug.com/gallery/3153299

He has thousands of other great photos on his website as well.

Now I have to decide on which photos and how much money to spend on them!
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando

Post by Tim »

There are a lot of good photos there! I like leeward stern quarter shots the best, though--they show the deck and crew to best advantage, in general.

The ones that jump out at me the most are #129 or 130. I really like the composition, the scenery, clouds, fog, and boat angle in these.

Have fun choosing! Buy lots.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Nice pics!

Is my memory off, or do Tritons usually have a bit more of an afterdeck than I see on yours? Is it one of the "normal" differences on the Aeromarine-built boats, or is yours unique even for an Aero boat?

Looks like a nice, clean boat :-)

Rachel
LazyGuy
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Paper Moon
Boat Type: Luders 33 (Allied Boat Co.)

Post by LazyGuy »

Outstanding! Couldn't have picked a better day. He got some great shots.

#47 does it for me. Too few people have pictures of their own boat underway.
Cheers

Dennis
Luders 33 "Paper Moon" Hull No 16

Life is too short to own an ugly boat.
Capn_Tom
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Type: Westsail 32

Post by Capn_Tom »

Is there some tick to smug mug? For some reason I get nothing.
The board does not cut itself short!
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

Is that the new 80% jib? I notice you have it sheeted to the toerail, not to the inner track.
Aweigh329
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by Aweigh329 »

Rachel wrote:Nice pics!

Is my memory off, or do Tritons usually have a bit more of an afterdeck than I see on yours? Is it one of the "normal" differences on the Aeromarine-built boats, or is yours unique even for an Aero boat?

Looks like a nice, clean boat :-)

Rachel
Nope, it just like the rest of west coast boats as far as I know.
Aweigh329
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by Aweigh329 »

Figment wrote:Is that the new 80% jib? I notice you have it sheeted to the toerail, not to the inner track.
No, that's the 110(ish). It's probably on the smaller side of 110.
Aweigh329
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by Aweigh329 »

Capn_Tom wrote:Is there some tick to smug mug? For some reason I get nothing.
I was having trouble with smugmug also. Try hitting the reload button or quit your browser and try again. I clicked on the link above and it's working well for me now. Other than that I don't know.
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Post by dasein668 »

Jealous.
Figment

Post by Figment »

For some reason I'd always assumed that anything shy of a 120 would sheet to the inner track. Interesting.
I need a "middle gear" between my full 155 and my tiny 70. I'd been thinking about a 115 or so, but now I may need to think again because I don't feel like adding more track to the toerail.

Jeez that Lyons guy wasn't shy on the trigger was he? The hard part will be deciding which of the dozens of pics to have printed.
Smugmug does great quality printing, by the way. I've had small photos, poster-size stuff, tshirts and coffee mugs done by them, and never a moment of disappointment.
Aweigh329
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by Aweigh329 »

Figment wrote:For some reason I'd always assumed that anything shy of a 120 would sheet to the inner track. Interesting.
I need a "middle gear" between my full 155 and my tiny 70. I'd been thinking about a 115 or so, but now I may need to think again because I don't feel like adding more track to the toerail.

Jeez that Lyons guy wasn't shy on the trigger was he? The hard part will be deciding which of the dozens of pics to have printed.
Smugmug does great quality printing, by the way. I've had small photos, poster-size stuff, tshirts and coffee mugs done by them, and never a moment of disappointment.
I tried sheeting to the inside track but couldn't keep the sail off the forward lower shroud. And I don't mean laying against it I mean cutting into it. I did have to add the toerail track to get the proper sheeting angle and the least amount of contact with the shrouds. Before I bought the new sails I was sheeting the 110 to a toerail track farther aft but could not get the proper angle so the sail was always twisted off. Much better now. When the sail was first delivered it was too wide at the top and hit the jumpers. They had to recut it. It is still really close to the jumpers. I have very little experience with sails but it seems to me that anything much bigger than a 100 might need to be sheeted to the outside. Maybe someone else can comment on that. I'd like to know if there is any general rule about that. I've been using the trial and error method. If it looks good and doesn't chafe on anything that's where I put it.

Thanks for the input on smugmug. I had never heard of them before the photo shoot. The Lyons photos have been difficult to choose from, there's so many! The guy is not giving them away either. He wants $20 per digital image. The prints start at $9 and go up from there. I only want a couple of prints but would like bunch of digitals. I'm hoping he will cut me deal on large quantity.
Figment

Post by Figment »

right, forward lowers, I always forget about those. I have no forward lowers, so I might be able to pull off a 115 to the inside track after all. The jumpers will always need to be worked around, but I see this primarily as a compromise of luff, not so much about sheeting angle.

Bah, I can't remember how to convert autocad to .jpg at the moment, but it looks like a 120 with a 27' luff can sheet to the inside track.

(apologies for the hijack)
Tim

Post by Tim »

Figment wrote:Bah, I can't remember how to convert autocad to .jpg at the moment...
Nerd.
Aweigh329
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by Aweigh329 »

right, forward lowers, I always forget about those. I have no forward lowers, so I might be able to pull off a 115 to the inside track after all. The jumpers will always need to be worked around, but I see this primarily as a compromise of luff, not so much about sheeting angle.
Yep, I think without the forward lowers you should be able to make it work.
Figment

Post by Figment »

ok, NOW I'm a nerd.

re: Lyons' pricing... he's priced below what boat photogs around here charge.
Aweigh329
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by Aweigh329 »

Figment wrote:ok, NOW I'm a nerd.
re: Lyons' pricing... he's priced below what boat photogs around here charge.
Wow! Was your CAD rendition for a 110% jib? If so, and after looking closely at the Lyons photos again more closely I think I need to move my sheet block back a few clicks for that sail. It's amasing what you can learn from a different point of view.

Re: Lyons pricing, he offered me all the photos at hi res on a CD plus an 8x10 and two 4x6 prints (prints through smugmug) for a total $250. I jumped on it!
Tim

Post by Tim »

Aweigh329 wrote:Re: Lyons pricing, he offered me all the photos at hi res on a CD plus an 8x10 and two 4x6 prints (prints through smugmug) for a total $250. I jumped on it!
Good call. Opportunities to have good photos of your boat under sail don't come around often at all (or ever).
Figment

Post by Figment »

no, that's more like a 120 or 125.

Still, moving the lead aft might not be a bad idea. Fractionals like twist.