2nd favorite day of the year!

Post pictures of your boat and sailing adventures here. Posting instructions within.
Brodie
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Starry Night
Boat Type: Sea Sprite 30

2nd favorite day of the year!

Post by Brodie »

Favorite day is coming up on June 1st...
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Re: 2nd favorite day of the year!

Post by Rachel »

Oooh, nice. And I like the name too (not sure I knew it before the field was added to the profiles).

Is that you on the bow?

Here's to June 1 :)

Rachel
Brodie
Master Varnisher

Post by Brodie »

Yes, that is me!
One Way David
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Type: Pearson Ensign

Post by One Way David »

Yes that time of the year. Are those PVC uprights on the tarp frame supported at the base in stanchion bases?
Is that a single length of plastic covering the mast and if so, does it keep moisture out? Even on hot humid days?
Never finish all your projects or you'll be bored.
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

One Way David wrote:Is that a single length of plastic covering the mast and if so, does it keep moisture out? Even on hot humid days?
Of course there probably aren't so many hot humid days in a Rhode Island winter...;)

Not that you asked me, but I wrapped my mast (Ace bandage style) in that plastic-film-on-a-roll for transport. I found that it got condensation under it fairly easily. I think I'd be tempted to cover a mast in something a bit more breathable than plastic for anything longer than a week or so, especially in Kansas. Maybe something more like canvas. I wonder if Tyvek housewrap would be suitable?

I transported a wooden spar at one time and wrapped that in an old white sheet because I was worried about sun/condensation ruining things otherwise.

Rachel
Brodie
Master Varnisher

Post by Brodie »

It is just plain plastic sheeting. And it does a very bad job of keeping moisture out. Actually it does a very good job of keeping it in. I was just discussing this with my bf's dad (was driving by his house and saw him working on his boat today so I stopped in to say hi). He uses the same stuff but purposely cuts it narrow enough so that the underside of the mast isn't covered. Stays dry that way, I was looking at the mast today and there was no condensation at all.

The frame is PVC sitting on top of the stanchions. I don't keep the stanchions on during the summer (no idea why there were lifelines on the boat anyway), but I didn't remove the bases so I could use the stanchions to support the cover. if you look carefully at the 3rd pic you'll see that I couldn't get two of the stanchions out of the bases, it got dark before I had time to get out the WD40 and cajole them out!
One Way David
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Type: Pearson Ensign

Post by One Way David »

Thats a good use of the bases. I wondered why the comment about life lines, so started to try to identify the boat. Figured out it wasn't a Pearson and then, duh, I say that the make was listed in your by-line. Googled and Found your post at Sail Net first. She looks sleek and sharp in the water. Cuddy looks very similar to my Ensign. I need to go the same route with the winches, but I haven't hit winds here that have requirred me to use the winches at all, yet. Great job on the refit. Dave.
Never finish all your projects or you'll be bored.