Block Island, CD28

Post pictures of your boat and sailing adventures here. Posting instructions within.
John, CD28
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Tiara
Boat Type: Cape Dory 36

Block Island, CD28

Post by John, CD28 »

Tossed the mooring for a couple weeks, and landed in Block Island.

John :)
Cape Dory 28 Tantalus
Sailing involves the courage to treasure adventure, and the wisdom to fear danger. Knowing where one ends, and the other begins, makes all the difference.
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Re: Block Island, CD28

Post by Rachel »

Beautiful photo - I love the light - and your boat always looks neat as a pin!
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

October is the best time of year on Block, well done!
John, CD28
Master Varnisher

Post by John, CD28 »

Thanks!
John
Sailing involves the courage to treasure adventure, and the wisdom to fear danger. Knowing where one ends, and the other begins, makes all the difference.
John, CD28
Master Varnisher

Post by John, CD28 »

Cuttyhunk is pretty nice too!

Actually, I took these pictures a couple summers ago. Just thought I'd share in the reminiscing.

John
Cape Dory 28 Tantalus
John, CD28
Master Varnisher

Post by John, CD28 »

And let's not forget Onset, that sweet offer of refuge between the west end of the canal and the rolling Hell that Hog Island Channel can be in a strong SW'er when the canal ebbs into it.

Red Brook Harbor is the other option to let the Hog settle down as you approach Hog Island Channel from the west. Know these two options (Onset & Red Brook), and you'll never have to deal with a wild & lumpy Hog Island Channel. Whether it be for a few hours, or a few days, both are great spots to drop the hook, get some rest, and do a bit of exploring ashore.

John
CD28 Tantalus
Tom Young
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by Tom Young »

John, CD28 wrote:Image

And let's not forget Onset, that sweet offer of refuge between the west end of the canal and the rolling Hell that Hog Island Channel can be in a strong SW'er when the canal ebbs into it.

Red Brook Harbor is the other option to let the Hog settle down as you approach Hog Island Channel from the west. Know these two options (Onset & Red Brook), and you'll never have to deal with a wild & lumpy Hog Island Channel. Whether it be for a few hours, or a few days, both are great spots to drop the hook, get some rest, and do a bit of exploring ashore.

John
CD28 Tantalus
Thanks for the photos and write up John. We returned from the same area just a few weeks ago. Your mention of Red Brook and Onset are especially appreciated. People laugh when I tell them the CCCanal and the water at each end, can be some of the worst stretches I've ever seen! This last trip had an episode just north of Onset I had in the canal. What a mess that was!

We spent 3 days on Cuttyhunk. The dinghy sailing was the best.
Cuttyhunk T and Eve sail.jpg
The anchorage there is one of our all time favorites on the east coast.
Cuttyhunk 2011 anchorage.jpg
John, CD28
Master Varnisher

Post by John, CD28 »

Beautiful images Tom; great stuff, as always!

Years ago, when my daughter was tiny, we dragged her Eli sailing dinghy down to Cuttyhunk for a few days. We also had a great time sailing around the pond. The hiking trails, Soprano's Pizza, and the outboard powered "Raw Bar" come together to make Cuttyhunk a truly unique and wonderful experience.

More recently, we took advantage of the great weather over this past Columbus Day weekend and took a mooring in Scituate for a couple nights. Scituate is another favorite of ours, and often the stop just before/after Onset as we day hop our way down/up the coast. I love the flat evening light through the dry Autumn air. It's a Luminst's dream, but this was the best I could do with an iPhone camera. ;)

Cheers,
John
billsull
Bottom Sanding Grunt
Boat Name: Patience
Boat Type: Allied Seawind 30

Post by billsull »

These pictures reminded me of how nice October was in the Northeast (with the exception of this past weekend!). This thread inspires a long time lurker like me to post a few also:

Columbus Day weekend in Great Salt Pond, Block Island:

It looks like we had the pond to ourselves, but perspective is everything:

You know your obsession with the boat has gone to far when you ask the Admiral:

"Honey, can you move out of the way so I can get a better picture of the boat?"

A second after this picture was taken, I got a boat cushion upside the head!

Can't wait for next season!
Bill Sullivan
Old Saybrook, CT
SV Patience, 1968 Allied Seawind 30
SV Carousel, 1971 Bristol 24
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Welcome to the forum, billsull (although you were already here... but we didn't realize it :)

Great looking Seawind! I hope we get to see more of her.

Rachel
billsull
Bottom Sanding Grunt
Boat Name: Patience
Boat Type: Allied Seawind 30

Post by billsull »

Thanks for the welcome(s) and the kind words about Patience - she just came out of the water today, so I'll be back to PCF often as I work through the "to do" list.
Bill Sullivan
Old Saybrook, CT
SV Patience, 1968 Allied Seawind 30
SV Carousel, 1971 Bristol 24