ship traffic

Technical information and geeky boat stuff
Robert The Gray
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

ship traffic

Post by Robert The Gray »

hey all,
I was referred to this site by Latitude 38, our local sailing rag. I have been hooked on looking at real time views of the global shipping traffic. Check out the english channel. very crowded. It is a bit like train spotting but what the heck.

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/
Former Owner: Whisper, now Alma 1960 WC Triton
Whisper Projects
Daysailfilms
Chris Campbell
Boat Name: Luna
Boat Type: Yankee 30

Re: ship traffic

Post by Chris Campbell »

Oh no! Another thing to soak up my time!

That's really cool. The Seajacks Kraken just left Halifax Harbour (we watched it go past Portuguese Cove and turn East, up the coast), and there it is! Very fun.

On the other hand, the German Navy left after it (a destroyer (I think) and a supply ship) - and there is no sign of them. So apparently AIS can't take the place of radar in the fog...

Thanks, Robert, even though it probably will make me even less productive...

Cheers,

Chris
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Quetzal
Boat Type: LeComte North East 38

Post by Quetzalsailor »

Yup, it's really cool. Note that there are no ships shown anywhere near Somalia. I'll bet those guys turn their transponders off or the website has arranged to not show them to the pirates' handlers. Interesting to see that the photo imagery is simply Google Earth. Interesting to see so much nautical chart info, but none inshore in the USA.

What a way to while the day away! (I'll confess to spending no more than a cigarettes' worth, but I don't smoke so do not really know how long one lasts.)
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Quetzal
Boat Type: LeComte North East 38

Post by Quetzalsailor »

I'll bet you'll find precious few military assets. Look at Gibraltar, or Norfolk.
Oscar
Boat Name: Lady Kay IV
Boat Type: 1990 Dragonfly 25

Post by Oscar »

I noticed the barren Somali coast. It appears only very busy ports and shipping channels are on line. No, navy boats are not showing, although I can confirm that they have them. Flying into Norfolk I often noticed a whole bunch of traffic at sea level below me on the TCAS (airborne version of the AIS) and they were all in drabby grey..... I'm sure the service has been discouraged from giving a strategic overview of our assets. I suspect it filters them out.
Out there, alone, there is only truth.