Small Project boat

Post photos and descriptions of your ongoing projects here. No project is too big or too small.
SUNBIRD10201
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Small Project boat

Post by SUNBIRD10201 »

Well, guess my soon to begin project will seem small, but small is good! I recently agreed to adopt and give a good home to an ancient fiberglass MIT,"TECH" Dinghy (12.5' LOA). I estimate she is vintage around 1953-4 or about 10-11 years older than I am! Hopefully, sometime over the next month, I will be getting together with a neighbor (boat's present owner) to extract this little gem from the undergrowth behind his beachfront cottage. That may be the biggest project, I hope? I'll try to post pictures when we get her out of the weeds, and then I'll have a better idea of the project scope. It sounds like the boom (wooden) may need replacement well, I know it needs new blocks), Mast is aluminum as I recall, so should be OK, the CB may be shot, I hope there is enough left to use as a pattern for a new one. Not sure about the rudder..... and there doesn't seem to be a sail. What is that old saying? "THE MOST EXPENSIVE BOATS ARE THE ONES YOU GET FOR FREE"! Oh Well! It will be a challenge, and not the first boat that I've rebuilt, or the biggest (well, OK..... biggest was a 14' powerboat.... but, a 12' sailboat should be easier!). It should actually be less complicated than the 9' trimaran I rebuilt!
Sunbird
1979 O'DAY Day Sailer II
former owner of 1970 CAL 21
SUNBIRD10201
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Re: Small Project boat

Post by SUNBIRD10201 »

Well, finally an update!
If all goes well, by this time tomorrow my "new" TECH Dinghy will be sitting in the yard at our beach cottage, rather than in my neighbor's backyard. Details (I hope?) tomorrow!

A few updates from my last post, The CB and rudder were in neighbor's cellar, he brought those to me last June. A few chips in the fiberglass, but otherwise in good shape (OK, no longer White as snow.... kind of whitish-grey, but.... shined up nice!) The tiller is in my basement as I apply coat after coat of varnish.

Wish me luck!
Attached picture is what I believe this TECH looks like (similar vintage, not actual boat)
Attachments
Tech Dinghy-a.jpg
Sunbird
1979 O'DAY Day Sailer II
former owner of 1970 CAL 21
markwesti
Almost a Finish Carpenter
Boat Name: Patricia A
Boat Type: Westsail 28

Re: Small Project boat

Post by markwesti »

Looks good Sunbird . Good luck !