Alberg 30 Project

Post photos and descriptions of your ongoing projects here. No project is too big or too small.
David VanDenburgh
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Ariel
Boat Type: Cape Dory 36

Alberg 30 Project

Post by David VanDenburgh »

About a year ago, after months of reading through Tim's site(s), I decided to take the plunge and buy a project boat, a '64 Alberg 30. Unfortunately, I didn't make much progress - okay, ANY - during the last year due to restricted yard hours and access. Now, Tradewinds rests just outside my back door and work has finally begun. I'm eager to get in there and try my hand at so many things I've only read about until now.
Here are a couple pictures.
At home:
The galley/"nav station"/"icebox" as I purchased her:
The space now. Preparing for new bulkheads that will form the engine compartment, nav station, galley, and icebox:

I look forward to reading (and seeing) more about others' boats and projects. Thanks for all the great information!!

David
MQMurphy
Topside Painter
Boat Name: Ikey Boy
Boat Type: Paceship Westwind 24

Beautiful boat, David

Post by MQMurphy »

I think the decision to get the boat within arm's reach was a good one. I purchased a project boat in October and deliberated for a couple of weeks where I would put it. A friend with lots of boat restoration experience convinced me that I should get it as close to my home (and shop) as possible. All the linkage involved in climbing in and out and getting back to the shop for a tool or the computer for a key piece of info multiplies the opportunities for missing things and forgetting things. (Wow, there's an awkward sentence!)
Also, when it is close by, if you just have a few minutes - you can do something. Congratulations and best wishes for a successful project.
- Mike Murphy
S/V Ikey Boy
1968 Westwind 24
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

I absolutely agree. Nothing will streamline a project more than having the boat nearby and ready for your attention even during shorter periods...not to mention the convenience of having tools, etc. close by. How many project days have been sunk because of some forgotten tool or some such, forcing one to either run around endlessly or sack the day completely?

Restricted yard hours are foreign around here (probably not far off at some of our "stuffier" yards, I bet), but I can only imagine the frustration potential there! That would make maintaining a reasonable schedule on a project boat near impossible for most people.

Of course, not all neighborhoods are accepting of things like (gasp!) boats in people's yards. If that's the case, then move, I say! :<)

What the boat wants, the boat gets. Live it, love it.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
David VanDenburgh

Mike,

Thanks for the encouragement. Close to home (or at home) is key. Of course, in this area a shelter is also important. I've already begun dreaming about constructing a modest boat barn. Working under a winter cover is anything but fun.

The Alberg is on hold right now while I take care of business with the other boat. It seems I'm a little late in the season to be constructing a winter cover! I'm desperate to get it finished and get Ariel covered. I can barely stand to visit her because it breaks my heart to see her exposed to the harsh winter weather. If all goes as planned, she should be covered within a week - extra time is in short supply right now.

David
David VanDenburgh

Re: Alberg 30 Project

Not only is this a dredge, but it's a major embarrassment! I think I may be in the running for the most delayed "project" out there. At this rate, my son will have to finish it.

In Boat Shops and Facilities, I posted some images of my new boat shed. Well, before I put the cover on it, I decided I wanted to pull the Westerbeke so I could access the bilge for repairs and painting. Today was a relaxed day, so I hauled the engine out, lowered it over the side, and stored it in the garage. The move was uneventful. Here are a few pictures. The thing is covered with fiberglass dust from my demo phase, despite being covered with a tarp.

Out of the cabin and ready to go over the side:

Down it goes:

In the garage:

The next step will be to get the cover on the boat shed, and then I'm hoping to install a garboard drain so I can give the cabin a good rinsing to get rid of all the fiberglass dust before I begin reconstruction. Given my progress in the past, it might be a while!

Cheers!
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Nice dredge :) It's fun to see a report.

What was the other end of the chain attached to?

Rachel
David VanDenburgh

Rachel wrote:Nice dredge :) It's fun to see a report.

What was the other end of the chain attached to?

Rachel
Hi Rachel.

I stood a 2x4 on end on the bridge deck and attached its upper end to the ridge pole of the boat shed to reinforce it. I then ran a 2x4 on edge from the ridge pole to the roof of the house. I rested the house end of the 2x4 on a piece of plywood to distribute the load. The come-along and a wrap of chain were attached to that 2x4 on its edge.

Hopefully there will be more reports to follow.

*Edited to add*:

The primary reason I pulled the engine was to redo the engine bed and mounts. Whoever installed the Westerbeke did a quick-n-dirty, and they reused the original Atomic 4 beds, bolting angle iron to accommodate the narrower Westerbeke. It's just plain ugly and more than a bit suspect. I'm not exactly looking forward to the work involved in realigning the engine (if it ever was aligned), but I saw this as a worthwhile improvement, especially since I have great access right now.

Angle iron mount:

The area in its messy glory:
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

That does look a little suspect. I have read (and don't doubt, after working on that area) that those original fiberglass engine beds (in the first-generation boats) were strong enough for the A-4 but will not properly handle a diesel engine. Good move to replace them.

Rachel
David VanDenburgh

I should be so embarrassed by the ridiculously slow "progress" of my restoration that I wouldn't dare post an update here, but I have no shame. Life's been busy. Lots going on, plus keeping the CD36 on the water. This summer, however, I managed to get a bit going on my A30. Info is on the blog: http://alberg30project.blogspot.com. Most significant bit of progress is the installation of two main bulkheads and reconstruction of the settees, galley, nav/ice box, and engine areas. It's great to see things coming together - and I'm having loads of fun.

Lloyd
Boat Name: Ella Marie
Boat Type: Bristol 27

Post by Lloyd »

Glad to see somebody else putting an old one back together. Your time frame looks like you are a little behind my project of thirteen years. Keep up the good work and keep posting about it.
Lloyd
Bristol 27, #200
David VanDenburgh

Thanks, Lloyd. We'll see just how long I can drag this project on. Ha. If I can get all the fiberglass work done before it gets cold, I'm hoping I can do electrical and finish work over the winter in the cabin. But who knows. Things get pretty busy when school starts - and the days get dang short!
David VanDenburgh

Made a bit more progress on the opposite side of the boat. I'd post pictures here, but the pictures linked through my blog are too big, and uploading to Photobucket is a pain in the butt. Sorry.

Anyway, tabbed in the remaining saloon bulkheads. Looking forward to having this round of fiberglassing finished.
TampaBay
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Type: Coronado 15

Post by TampaBay »

I always thought that photobucket was fairly easy. Click, click, click and done.
David VanDenburgh

TampaBay wrote:I always thought that photobucket was fairly easy. Click, click, click and done.
Yes, it's easy enough; It just seems silly to upload duplicates of pictures that I've already uploaded to blogger. Extra unnecessary steps=pain in the butt.
David VanDenburgh

Things have been moving along. Again, the blog is the best place to follow the progress, but here's a bit of what's been done since my last entry here:

I've constructed the port and starboard settees, including the backs and supports. The head compartment is mostly together, and the hanging locker on the opposite side is in the planning stages - although one shelf is cut and in place.

Over the long weekend I'm hoping to construct and install the port shelf for the cabinets above the settee as well as a shelf for the under sink galley area. Once those are done, it will be a round of glassing shelves and furniture to the hull. If all goes as planned, I just might be able to get a coat of paint down on some of the areas that are soon to be closed up - e.g., under and behind the settees. Tomorrow's high is forecast to be 90. It's going to be a hot one!

http://alberg30project.blogspot.com