Atomic 4 Fun

Post photos and descriptions of your ongoing projects here. No project is too big or too small.
tikvah59
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Emily Hope
Boat Type: Nimble 30' yawl

Atomic 4 Fun

Post by tikvah59 »

I don't know how Tim and others manage to provide photographic documentation of everything they do on their boats. When I'm in the midst of a project I rarely remember the camera, and then my hands are covered with bilge muck or I'm too determined to solve some annoying problem to take a picture.

Over the last few days I did remember so I took a few pix. I am planning to put fresh water cooling on the old A4 so I first wanted to do an acid flush. I was thrilled that the engine started right up, but virtually no water came through. After much teeth gnashing and removing the water pump, thermostat, alternator and water jacket side plate, I found the culprit:

It was stuck in the 'T' fitting on the side of the water jacket side plate.

More pictures and details here.

Tomorrow I hope to do some priming before I paint. Britton, you'll be pleased to hear that I researched the color history of this particular engine by using a variety of my favorite abrasive tools, and I will be restoring the engine to it's original Moyer Gold color. Some might call it bronze, but as grateful as I for the helpfulness of Ken and Don at Moyer Marine, they must be making a (well deserved) good living on parts sales.

I know Jason covered engine painting recently (nice job, Jason - even if the color's not for me!) so I'll try to capture the installation of the FWC and some of the other stuff I plan to do to the engine.

Just one more - the insides don't look nearly as bad as the engine in Moyer's ad!

Mark
Last edited by tikvah59 on Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Emily Hope
Nimble 30' yawl
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

Universal painted their engines gold at some point too I think.

I must admit. I was flustered and atounded when I walked by the John Deere marine engine display at the Maine Boatbuilder's Show recently and noted that they are painting their engines what looks like Cat yellow.

Is there nothing sacred in this world anymore?

You will like the freshwater cooling. Nice steady temperatures. No worries about what is flowing through your block. Quicker winterizations.

-Britton
Matt B.
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: Firefly
Boat Type: Islander 28

Post by Matt B. »

bcooke wrote:I must admit. I was flustered and atounded when I walked by the John Deere marine engine display at the Maine Boatbuilder's Show recently and noted that they are painting their engines what looks like Cat yellow.

Is there nothing sacred in this world anymore?
As a farm boy, I can state that John Deere has always painted their engines yellow. It's the rest of the tractor (combine, harvester, etc.) that they paint green.

So if they built whole boats, the boat would be green, but the engine would be yellow.
Matt Beland
Islander 28 #256, SV Firefly
matt@rearviewmirror.org
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

Good to know. Who paints their engines green then? I am sure I have seen it around.

-Britton
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Yes, John Deere has been using a yellow for years, on diesel engines and also on construction equipment. It's close to, but not the same as, CAT yellow.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
keelbolts
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by keelbolts »

My Volvo MD7 was green.