Bomar advertisement

Post photos and descriptions of your ongoing projects here. No project is too big or too small.
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Bomar advertisement

Post by bcooke »

Note: I gain no monetary benefit from the sale of Bomar marine hatches.

As many of you know, I consider the addition of an aluminum Bomar hatch in my cockpit sole to be one of the best things I have done for my boat. I just love the access it creates, the sturdiness of its construction, its watertightness, and its overall good looks.

I love it so much I ordered a few plastic Bomar hatches for more cockpit access and storage. $186 from Hamilton Marine shipped to my doorstep.

The hatches are just big enough to drop a group 27 battery down through. I plan on putting battery boxes (2 each side) under the hatches. Plus the port hatch gives me great access to the A4 exhaust which will certainly have to be replaced from time to time or at least need some tending to.

The poop deck has some camber so I thought I was going to have to make a mahogony frame so that the flat hatch would mate well with the curved deck. The camber isn't as much as I thought in the center and the hatch has just enough flex to follow the curve in the deck.

In case you thought that Pearson only built thick hulls, this is the plug removed from the poop deck.

One of the best hours I have spent on my boat in a while.

-Britton
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

Early model poop decks are not cored. They're just as flimsy as you imagine.

Britton, I gotta ask, how is it that the icebox hatch has survived all of this cockpit work?
bcooke
Master of the Arcane

Post by bcooke »

Actually, I am just getting started on the real cockpit work. I simply set the lid in a huge puddle of BoatLife for last summer's cruise. It didn't work at all and it soaked my galley/chart table/charts/port settee several times. There was always tomorrow so I just never got around to it. Plus, I had fantasies about turning the hatch into a shallow drink holder or something exotic like that so I didn't want to cut it out before I was sure about my intentions.

Funnily enough though. Right after I finished with the hatches and the fuel tank I cut out that icebox deck fill. Now I have a hole in that corner waiting for epoxy temps. When the spring temperatures arrive I am going to be a very busy boy.

-Britton
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

A $40 oil-filled electric radiator in the cabin will have the boat up to epoxy temps in the time it takes you to run out for coffee.

:)
bcooke
Master of the Arcane

Post by bcooke »

True, but I get a better return on my time and money by moving on to other projects that are not heat sensitive; deck grinding for example. I am an Economics major after all. The high temps will come soon enough.

-Britton
Duncan
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Coquine
Boat Type: Cape Dory 27

Post by Duncan »

bcooke wrote: I am an Economics major after all. -Britton
Me too, haha. I guess we are maximizing utility through externalities, as the return on capital, being continuously and increasingly negative, is obviously an artifact of underspecification in the model.

I haven't spoken gobbledegook for a while, that was fun!

But I do apply those principles of marginal return almost as a habit.
Cape Dory 10 & 27
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Post by dasein668 »

Duncan wrote:I guess we are maximizing utility through externalities, as the return on capital, being continuously and increasingly negative, is obviously an artifact of underspecification in the model.
Careful sir, or I may just move your posts to the Boat Nerdery section!

;-P
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

dasein668 wrote:Careful sir, or I may just move your posts to the Boat Nerdery section! ;-P
No, no, not that! I think I'm just in need of a bit of bottom sanding to restore my equilibrium.
Cape Dory 10 & 27
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

dasein668 wrote:
Duncan wrote:I guess we are maximizing utility through externalities, as the return on capital, being continuously and increasingly negative, is obviously an artifact of underspecification in the model.
Careful sir, or I may just move your posts to the Boat Nerdery section!

;-P
Actually, that would have to just go to a plain ole' "nerdery" section! hehe
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Tim

Post by Tim »

Britton,

Beware that bending those plastic hatches to fit the deck camber may cause the knife edge/gasket to not contact properly at the sides, thereby allowing some leakage through. They aren't as tolerant to camber as one would hope.

Also, do you find those plastic hatches to be sturdy underfoot, particularly in the cockpit seats? There's no doubt that the hatches in that area will be extremely useful. In frustration, a couple years ago, I installed a 10" round aluminum hatch on my starboard cockpit seat to allow access to my batteries, which I store there. It made all the difference, and I've been tempted ever since to install a twin on the other side, though I don't really need it there.

Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Tim wrote: I've been tempted ever since to install a twin on the other side, though I don't really need it there.
Well, I'm not saying that would be nerdy, but some might...I'll bet you could think of a reason to do it. (I think it might balance the boat better ;) )
I used to own a Peugeot 504, which had two small knobs, one each between the three main gauges on the dashboard. One of them reset the trip odometer, but the other didn't seem to do anything. I finally gave up trying to figure it out, checked the manual, and found out that its function was described as "bouton artificiel". I thought that was pretty nerdy, surely they could have thought of something for it to do.
Cape Dory 10 & 27
bcooke
Master of the Arcane

Post by bcooke »

Thanks for the bending warning Tim. I hadn't considered the effect on the sealing ability. In that case, I can build up a lip with thickened epoxy to keep the whole thing level. We are talking less than 1/2" at the edges after all.

As for their general sturdiness underfoot, you are right, they flex a bit. I decided they were okay in my case because 1.) Using all aluminum hatches here would break the bank 2.) I don't do that much standing in that location. I will stand on them but not for hours like I would with the sole hatch 3.) Despite their flex they aren't going to break from the strain 4.) I wanted the tapered edges and permanent white color. 5.) The plastic hatches have hinges which I don't think the aluminum versions have. I wanted to lift open the hatch and not worry about the lid sliding about.

Actually I don't notice the flex on the smaller hatches much and I don't stand on the poop deck very often though I did notice the flex when I tested it out. I definitely wouldn't put the plastic hatches on the cockpit sole but I decided the compromises in my case were acceptable. I love the new access too. I have used it several times already. The starboard seat hatch became less important after the tank came out (the tank came out after the hatch decision) but I still like it and it keeps everything looking uniform.
Nathan wrote:Careful sir, or I may just move your posts to the Boat Nerdery section!
Who is in charge here anyway? I didn't realize that Tim had delegated editing powers. Who else do I need to send voluntary donations too?
Ummm.... well... I was following the Glissando project in real time when I should have been studying :-)

Despite my abhorence to cubicles which squashed my big filthy rich economics career, I do find many of the principles showing up in my everyday life. While one could argue that there is no good economic argument for fixing up an old boat I had a thought yesterday, "What would it cost to have Hinckley custom build a 28 foot sailboat exactly to my specifications right down to the placement of each and every bolt and screw?" Looking at it that way my boat seems like a bargain!

-Britton
Jason K
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Rambunctious
Boat Type: J/30

Post by Jason K »

Those access hatches in the cockpit seats look great. I hate crawling into the cockpit lockers, particularly since I work on the boat in the marina and it's undignified to have people walk by the boat with my legs sticking out of the locker and even less dignified to have an audience while getting out.
Also, do you find those plastic hatches to be sturdy underfoot, particularly in the cockpit seats?
I have the plastic hatch in the cockpit sole. It is, of course, not nearly as sturdy as the metal hatch, but it is plenty solid enough. Plus, I don't have to worry about cooking my feet in the summer.
- Jason King (formerly #218)
J/30 Rambunctious
http://www.rambunctiousracing.com
MikeD
Boat Name: Totoro
Boat Type: Sea Sprite 23 (#626)

Post by MikeD »

I have one too. It was one of the first things I did, or rather had done, to the boat. (Thanks again, Tim!) Though it's far from watertight - I need to work on that issue. But, I highly recommend one! I don't see how people can work in that area without the access.

Britton, I also have the fuel tank under the cockpit as you are discussing on another thread. Nice and out of the way place for it.

Mike
Totoro (SS23 #626)
dasein668
Boateg

Post by dasein668 »

bcooke wrote: Who is in charge here anyway? I didn't realize that Tim had delegated editing powers. Who else do I need to send voluntary donations too?
Well someone has to deal with the spurious registrations while Tim's off lazing around on his homestead in Whitefield....
bcooke
Master of the Arcane

Post by bcooke »

Well someone has to deal with the spurious registrations while Tim's off lazing around on his homestead in Whitefield....
I was thinking that maybe Tim is more interested in building houses now and is done with the whole boat scene so he just left you the keys and ran.
Plus, I don't have to worry about cooking my feet in the summer
That sir, is very true. I don't find it a big problem up here in the higher latitudes but I imagine further south the bare aluminum hatch could become intolerable. As it is I cursed Tim once or twice (just for fun!)when I jumped down on it with bare feet and just as quickly jumped off. I got over it though since I love the sturdiness factor of the aluminum. I wouldn't choose differently today except I might try the painted version. I wonder if the painted version gets just as warm?

-Britton
dasein668
Boateg

Post by dasein668 »

bcooke wrote:
I was thinking that maybe Tim is more interested in building houses now and is done with the whole boat scene so he just left you the keys and ran.
The keys to the asylum? Geez, I hope not! ;-P
kabauze
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: Nevermind
Boat Type: Pearson Triton #450

Post by kabauze »

MikeD wrote:I have one too. It was one of the first things I did, or rather had done, to the boat. (Thanks again, Tim!) Though it's far from watertight - I need to work on that issue. But, I highly recommend one! I don't see how people can work in that area without the access.
This is how we work without the access:

Ignore that guy (my brother) in the foreground. He's supervising. That's my 6'4" frame down in the starboard, uh port, locker, removing the stuffing box. ;^)
bcooke
Master of the Arcane

Post by bcooke »

Hehe, so can you get back out by yourself or is that what your brother is really standing there for?...

-Britton
MikeD
Boat Name: Totoro
Boat Type: Sea Sprite 23 (#626)

Post by MikeD »

LOL!
kabauze wrote:... That's my 6'4" frame down in the starboard, uh port, locker, removing the stuffing box. ;^)
Stuffing box!?!? Either you've got really long arms or a really long stern tube!
:)
Mike
Totoro (SS23 #626)
bcooke
Master of the Arcane

Post by bcooke »

Sadly, as I exercised the search feature of this forum on yet another quest I stumbled upon this quote from days gone by...
A younger version of Tim wrote:The only relatively decent plastic hatch I found was the Tempress model that I have in Glissando. It is much stronger than the terrible Bomar plastic hatches that some people use (which, by the way, are only intended for access into vertical storage areas).
Are we talking the same hatches here?

Vertical storage areas?...

<sigh>

After thinking about this for a few minutes... I am still happy with the hatches. The alternative would have been to spend over a thousand dollars so I guess I can live with flexing, vertically mounted, inspection only, hatches...

-Britton
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

You've got *great* tankage though Britton ;-)
bcooke
Master of the Arcane

Post by bcooke »

Yeah, I am 'Tanked' all right...

I gotta get off this forum and get a life for a few days...
Tim

Post by Tim »

bcooke wrote:
Right, that's it. No more boats. That's why I travel 2 hours round trip several times a week now to check in with this forum. :<) (Still waiting for Internet access...)

bcooke wrote:I don't find it a big problem up here in the higher latitudes but I imagine further south the bare aluminum hatch could become intolerable. As it is I cursed Tim once or twice (just for fun!)when I jumped down on it with bare feet and just as quickly jumped off. I got over it though since I love the sturdiness factor of the aluminum. I wouldn't choose differently today except I might try the painted version. I wonder if the painted version gets just as warm?
I think the answer to the hot hatch problem is a wooden cockpit grate of some sort.
Last edited by Tim on Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tim

Post by Tim »

MikeD wrote:I have one too. It was one of the first things I did, or rather had done, to the boat. (Thanks again, Tim!) Though it's far from watertight - I need to work on that issue. But, I highly recommend one! I don't see how people can work in that area without the access.
Mike,

Your hatch is suffering from the same problem that my plastic one had--and which I warned Britton about a few posts above. Even a slight deck camber can cause the hatch cover to not seal properly, as it relies on a pretty level and flat installation for the hatch knife edge to properly contact the gasket all the way around.

To me, this is the most compelling argument for the more sturdy aluminum hatch: they are truly watertight. But the plastic hatches work pretty well for most applications, as long as one is aware of their limitations.
Tim

Post by Tim »

bcooke wrote:Sadly, as I exercised the search feature of this forum on yet another quest I stumbled upon this quote from days gone by...
A younger version of Tim wrote:The only relatively decent plastic hatch I found was the Tempress model that I have in Glissando. It is much stronger than the terrible Bomar plastic hatches that some people use (which, by the way, are only intended for access into vertical storage areas).
Are we talking the same hatches here?

Vertical storage areas?...

<sigh>

After thinking about this for a few minutes... I am still happy with the hatches. The alternative would have been to spend over a thousand dollars so I guess I can live with flexing, vertically mounted, inspection only, hatches...

-Britton
I can't tell exactly what hatches you have there. I think there may be a couple different models from Bomar, so we may not be talking about the same ones. Most of the commonly-available Bomar plastic hatches, though, are the vertical access ones. But as long as they seem sturdy enough underfoot for the service you intend, it shouldn't be a problem. Having the access there is very handy, to be sure.

That said, I find that that area of the cockpit seats is right where we step all the time when entering the cockpit from the sidedecks, particularly with a dodger in place, so there is plenty of foot traffic.