Albin Vega Project

Post photos and descriptions of your ongoing projects here. No project is too big or too small.
Peter
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Pagan
Boat Type: Albin Ballad 30

Albin Vega Project

Post by Peter »

The Vega is now home for a refit. I hauled it on my San Juan trailer, after a making a few modifications. It was originally built for a Newport 30 and later shortened to fit the San Juan 24.
Getting the jacks set at the right height was the hardest part, but now I know where to set them next time should be easier. Next time ???

The bottom had a heavy build up of three different colors, in places flaking off.

Thanks for the tips on using a carbide bladed scraper, elsewhere in the forum. I was surprised how much paint could be removed in one hour. I used a 1/4 sheet palm sander with 120 grit paper to complete the process.

Still to come is an attempt to revitalize the topsides gelcoat, and the replacement of all thru hulls.
Last edited by Peter on Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter
==================
Victoria BC Canada
Albin Ballad 30

http://www.mostlyaboutboats.ca
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

One good thing about heavy layers of old bottom paint is that they generally begin falling off of their own accord, making the stripping process much easier.

Looks like you're making good progress on a nasty job.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Peter

Post by Peter »

Progressing slowly, all the bottom paint is off, the rudder has been installed with new bushing, all old through-hulls transducers etc are removed and now it's hole filling time.

I'm using the Gougeon Brothers' recommendations (example 8) for filling machined holes as a guidline. The holes I'm working with are definately in 'zone 3'.

The largest hole is 3 1/4". I've ground out the outside portion, and will grind the inside to match. This view is from below, looking up. The hull thickness here is almost 3/4" of solid glass. There's a swatch of duct tape blocking the hole to reduce dust inside the boat.
The inside of the hull will be ground to match. I like the idea of filling the hole with a 'flange' on both sides ... much stronger IMHO.

The hole, big enough to put my hand through, was for this sending unit (anybody need one ... I haven't tossed it yet):

My next task is to research this forum for the best kind of fiberglass cloth to use in the layup.
Last edited by Peter on Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Peter
==================
Victoria BC Canada
Albin Ballad 30

bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

I like the 'flange' idea too and have been doing it that way myself. Tapering one side might work with thinner structures but it just seems to me that to get a good angle on the taper with a structure approaching an inch thick just required an awfully large diameter repair area. Working from both sides cuts the area in half and as you suggest, it should be stronger though I think it is more 'extra' strength than neccessary.

Keep it up!

-Britton
cliffg
Rough Carpentry Apprentice

What Did You Use?

Post by cliffg »

What did you use to get such a nice consistant bevel around the hole?
Peter

Post by Peter »

Sorry for the late reply ....
I used a 5" angle grinder with a flap disk ... first time I've ever used one and they work really well!
Peter
==================
Victoria BC Canada
Albin Ballad 30

Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

I may decide to fill in one or two (or five...) of my through hulls, so I searched for this thread so I could ask a couple of questions.

I looked up Gougeon's article: Very nice and clear. They never show the dust in those sketches though, do they :-)

I noticed Britton mentioned only grinding/filling/patching from one side as a possible option, and since my boat is not gutted I'm very interested in whether or not it's advisable to do a patch that's only ground from the outside of the boat. Is this too much of a shortcut? While it would be wonderful to not have to fit a grinder into some of the interior spaces - and to avoid the major dust made when taking off lots of material - I don't want to think about a second-rate repair below the waterline when I wake up at 3 a.m.

Tool-wise, I see that Peter mentions using a 5" grinder. I don't (yet) have a grinder or a Porter Cable DA sander -- I've had the sander on my wish-list though, so I would rather buy one of those first. Could it be used with the flap wheel for this sort of repair? Or should I just get a grinder and be done with it? I find it very annoying to limp my way most of the way through a job with the wrong tool, only to buy it in the end anyway.

Also, Peter (or anyone else), what sort of cloth type or "schedule" did you end up deciding on?

Thanks, Rachel
Peter

Post by Peter »

Rachel wrote:Also, Peter (or anyone else), what sort of cloth type or "schedule" did you end up deciding on?
I used the heaviest cloth I could get locally, 10 ounce. But with a hull thickness of almost 3/4" it took about 26 layers to get the full thickness built up. Next time I might try a layer of mat on the upper side, where it would be easier to wet out.

I see why you don't want to grind inside the boat ... nasty business. I did mine by completely suiting up, including full face breathing mask, tenting an old king-sized bed sheet over me and weighing it down all around on the floor, then grinding away for several frenzied minutes in something resembling a Sahara Desert dust storm. There was still quite a bit of dust on the woodwork, but nothing compared to an unshielded job. Maybe a sheet of plastic would have worked better.

I made a small thin epoxy puck, ground it to fit, and epoxyed it into the hole, so I could work from both sides without the cloth sagging into the hole. This allowed me to do the complete layup in one session.

A 300 Watt halogen work light, about 8 inches from the surface, supplied a gentle warmth to cure the epoxy.

I bought my grinder when I got into welding. It's a pretty useful tool for all kinds of work, metal wood and fibreglass, and is the tool of choice when I need fast results.
Peter
==================
Victoria BC Canada
Albin Ballad 30

MQMurphy
Topside Painter
Boat Name: Ikey Boy
Boat Type: Paceship Westwind 24

Post by MQMurphy »

I agree about the grinder. I've been doing carpentry for about 30 years now, and didn't get one of those until about 4 years ago. I should've bought one a long, long time ago. An incredibly versatile tool - grinding, sanding, cutter wheels for metal and masonry - go right out and get one. I've got a 4" Makita that fits into lots of tight places, got plenty of 'ooomph' too. Used it this morning to get a hose clamp off that had sheared off its screw head.
- Mike Murphy
S/V Ikey Boy
1968 Westwind 24
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Thanks for the info Peter, and for the second on the grinder, MQ. Can the flap wheel be used on a 4" or do you have to have "matching" sizes?

I'm supposed to be living aboard, and after doing a couple of huge sheet-rocking jobs in past years, I know how that dust finds its way everywhere!

--- Rachel
Tony
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: S/V Bonnie Blue
Boat Type: Catalina 22

Post by Tony »

Rachel,
I have a Dewalt 4", and the flap wheel works fine on it. You're not using the backing pad that comes with the grinder, so an inch shouldn't matter.
Tony
cliffg

Flap Disks

Post by cliffg »

I can't see the pictures, but I'll take Rachel's word that it has a nice even bevel. Now, I've never seen flap disks before. Are they readily available? Or, do you have to order them?

Thanks
jhenson
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Post by jhenson »

Cliff,

These flap discs are used extensively in metal fabrication. Welding shops and even some home centers have them (T-29).

They come in two types:

The T-29 is beveled at about 15 degrees.

The T-27 is flat.

The T-29 is far more common, but I have used both a lot on my boat. A T-27 (flat) can get into a confined area where you can not angle the grinder to get the T-29 wheel to cut. I have done this a lot more than you might think on a small boat like the Triton. Noone around my small town carries T-27's, so I have to mail order them.

I get mine on EBAY in packets of 5 or 10 for a lot cheaper than any other suppliers. I have a Hitachi 4 1/2" grinder that has a 5/8" arbor, but there are many sizes available, so you need to fit it to the specs for your type of grinder.

See this site for typical sizes:

http://abrasives4sale.com/flap.htm

Here is the supplier on EBAY:

http://cgi.ebay.com/10-4-1-2-ANGLE-GRIN ... dZViewItem

He is in Pennsylvania, and usually ships them to me in a couple of days.

Joe
Last edited by jhenson on Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tony
Boat Name: S/V Bonnie Blue
Boat Type: Catalina 22

Post by Tony »

I get them at Lowes or Home Depot. You can probably find them cheaper online in bulk quatities, but honestly one disc can go a Looooong way before replacing, unlike sandpaper. This is more true for the rougher grits than the finer ones, but the way I typically use it is for bulk removal with a 40 grit flapwheel. Careful though, you can chew away a serious amount of material in no time flat.
Tony
bcooke
Master of the Arcane

Post by bcooke »

I'm very interested in whether or not it's advisable to do a patch that's only ground from the outside of the boat.
Sure. Doing from both sides is just overkill anyway. On a really thick hull working from both sides reduces the bevel area (smaller diameter) but I don't think it is truly necessary to fill a 3/4" thick hull with a 3/4" thick patch. You could just bevel the outside through half the hull thickness, make a patch with glass cloth from just the outside and then fill the inside with thickened epoxy.

I am pretty sure 3/4" hulls are a bit unecessary with today's materials and techniques. Don't feel as though you need to recreate it. Of course if you are crazy like me then you will bevel both sides and make the patch equal to the original hull thickness and maybe a bit more. Dust and livability be damned.

-Britton
-Britton
Work is overrated.

Most everything you read on the Internet is wrong.

The Website
The Blog
Peter

Post by Peter »

CliffG wrote:I can't see the pictures, but I'll take Rachel's word that it has a nice even bevel.
Oops, sorry about that ... I'd deleted the pics from my server. They're back now.
Peter
==================
Victoria BC Canada
Albin Ballad 30

Tim

Post by Tim »

Rachel wrote:Tool-wise, I see that Peter mentions using a 5" grinder. I don't (yet) have a grinder or a Porter Cable DA sander -- I've had the sander on my wish-list though, so I would rather buy one of those first. Could it be used with the flap wheel for this sort of repair?
You can accomplish all the grinding on your boat with the DA sander and heavy duty paper. I have an angle grinder, but I virtually never use it for actual grinding. I get better results and have more predictable control with the DA.

If you want to buy both, go for it. But if you buy only one, it needs to be the DA. I'd give up my angle grinder 10 times over before I let go of my DA.

There's a lot of confusion surrounding the proper way to fill clean round holes in a hull. I have frequently avoided addressing this issue because I've had trouble figuring out a way to express what I mean without sounding as if I'm somehow recommending an easier or less sound way out.

I guess at this point, I'll have to hope that you, dear reader, will take for granted that I wouldn't recommend anything that wasn't a sound, strong, and professional way to accomplish the task, and press onward. I hope that my past writings might support this notion.

While it's not wrong to go to the extent of filling an entire 3/4"deep round hole with solid fiberglass, it's not necessary. In addition, frequently only one side of the hole need be ground at all (or at least not severely ground), since if one is not going for a completely flush, hidden repair (such as inside a bilge locker), new material can simply be layered over the existing hull without the need to grind tapers and neat concentric rings. This doesn't mean the interior work need be sloppy or ugly, but the need to make a completely flush and invisible repair, such as that on the exterior, is not there.

Here is how I address round through hull holes in a hull like that of a Triton or Alberg 30, or boat of similar construction. Since that's what this thread is about, that's what my description will cover. Other types of repairs, of course, may require a completely different approach.
  • 1. Tape over the bottom (exterior) of the hole and fill from the inside with thickened epoxy--usually a plain cabosil and resin mix. Allow this to cure.

2. From the exterior, grind a circular depression equal in depth at the center to the thickness of the new material you plan to apply, or just a bit deeper. Roughly gauge about a 12:1 bevel and taper the grinding out concentrecally from this center point. 3 layers of 1708 biax is adequate to repair something like a filled through hull, no matter how thick the original hull is. I usually like to install one layer of light-ish cloth (normally 8 oz. or 10 oz.) over the top of the repair, since it makes for a cleaner, smoother finish. I often install this dry to help soak up the inevitable excess resin in any hand layup, then only wet additionally as needed.

That said, one can install as many layers as they wish. No harm, no foul. But it's truly unnecessary. Remember that a cleanly-cut round hole is structurally insignificant to the boat, and that truly the only reason a patch is required is to (obviously) prevent water from coming through that big hole after you remove the fitting.

3. Cut concentric circles of your chosen fiberglass material for the exterior of the repair, each slightly larger than the next. Laminate these in place beginning with the largest, and working back to the smallest on the outside. While this seems backwards at first glance, remember that when grinding and fairing the repair, some material will be removed, and with the largest piece on the inside (bottom) of the repair, the largest bearing surface of the new material will remain intact.

4. Clean, grind, and fair as necessary.

5. On the inside, assuming you don't see a need for the repair to be completely flush, install fiberglass over the inside of the plugged hole. You should clean and lightly grind this area first to ensure good bonding, but you need not remove material from the hull as on the outside. Here, install a smaller piece first, overlapping the round hole by a sound margin--an inch or so-and then install larger overlapping layers.

6. I always clean and grind all fiberglass repairs. You always end up with pooled resin, sharp spots, etc., and it makes for a clean job if you take the time to grind it later on.
There are lots of step-by-step pictures of this very sort of repair to be found in the Kaholee project logs, if you need a visual reference. For now, I won't try and copy them here.
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Thanks! The tool and disc info, and the step-by-step how-to are very helpful. And rest assured that I don't believe anyone here is suggesting any inappropriate short-cuts.

I have to laugh at myself because after having fixed up a project trailer sailor, and having got a bit burned out on those particular jobs (deck core and blisters, mainly); I guess I was on the lookout for a boat that didn't need those things. Ironically, that means that I've now got other things, and - natch - they're not the ones I'm experienced in.
bcooke wrote: Of course if you are crazy like me then you will bevel both sides and make the patch equal to the original hull thickness and maybe a bit more. Dust and livability be damned.
Well luckily I'm not. I'm crazy in my own way. ;-)
keelbolts

Post by keelbolts »

Peter,
I plan to watch your project closely as the Vega is at or near the top, depending on my mood, of my shortlist for Favona's replacement. Unfortunately, I don't find them at all attractive from the toe rail up, but they receive such rave reviews in all other categories that I have to consider them. Boats have been, for centuries, compared to women. Rachel, I hope I don't affend your feminist sensibilities, but I have to wonder. Wouldn't I rather have a homely woman that could make all my dreams come true, than a beauty who couldn't produce?

Hmmmm...
keelbolts

Post by keelbolts »

By the way, I see I am now a Master Varnisher. I'll take pride in that title. God only knows how many gallons of varnish I've slapped on one boat or another over the years.
Peter

Post by Peter »

Finally got the "KISS" head system in. It bench tests ok, but as we all know the true test will be under real world conditions.

I made the tank from plywood, glassed and epoxyed inside. Making it the same shape as the hull on the backside allowed me to get 11 gallons capacity, as opposed to using a 6 gallon ready made tank, which was all that would fit the location.

At the top left is the pumpout port. On either side of the top are vents. The bottom outlet is on the right, directly into the thru hull, and the inlet, which goes up inside the tank using a standpipe, is on the left.

The tank sits on a shelf which is attached to the bulkheads on either side, and is held in by battens in the front, hidden by the wood trim, and with four pins along the top. As it is rigid, I thought it best to leave it semi "floating" to allow for bulkhead flex.

The three eyes in the face of the tank are epoxy windows to monitor fluid level. Not sure if that's going to work, but I thought it was worth a try.
Peter
==================
Victoria BC Canada
Albin Ballad 30

A30_John

Post by A30_John »

Nice job. That's similar to the one I put in my boat last year. The differences that I can tell are I:

1) used only one vent,
2) installed a pump for overboard discharge,
3) put a cleanout port on the front of my tank, and
4) built mine so the tank fills from the top (rather than from the bottom using a standpipe).

Peter, I'll be looking forward to hearing how well your system works without a discharge pump. If it works reliably without one (which I suspect it will), I'd consider leaving it out of a future installation.

After one season of using mine, I would do it all again without hesitation. I'm convinced that building the blackwater tank is a good way to get what you want and get a robust installation.
Last edited by A30_John on Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:28 pm, edited 5 times in total.
John
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

VERY NICE!

What did you use for tank fittings?
A30_John

Post by A30_John »

On my installation, I started with a 6 gallon plastic tank and this is what happened to the most important fitting before I even got it installed:

Driven by the emotions that resulted from the above event, I decided that I did not want to have to deal with this again in the future. So I built a plywood/epoxy tank and opted to use through hull fittings to avoid any possibility of breakage:

Using bronze through hulls is/was probably overkill, but there was no obvious alternative that provided the robust solution I desired. I have a lot of confidence in this system. By the way, the plastic tank shown above is currently selling for over $200.00.You can buy a lot of through hulls for that.

I'm interested to know what Peter used for his fittings. He may have found a better middle ground.

My finished tank ended up being very similar in appearance to Peter's:

John
Peter

Post by Peter »

Funny thing, I was going to put an inspection port in the top of mine. The same advisor who suggested twin vents talked me out of it "... one more place to leak" was his comment. Besides, there is always the "Mark II".

Bulhead brackets to hold tank and shelf:

The inlet does feed into the top of the tank, it's just that the hose (pvc pipe) is hidden inside the tank with an elbow at the top to deflect the discharge. Although it cost me about a quart of tank capacity, this kept exposed rubber hoses to a minimum.

I used 1 1/2" pvc plumbing fittings on the inlet and pumpout, consisting of a pipe thread-to-hose adaptor threaded onto a close nipple, and a pipe thread-to-slip fit adapter on the other side, threaded together and sealed with 3M 5200.

My thru-hull is only 1 1/14", but Groco makes a 90 degree bronze 1 1/4" pipe to 1 1/2" hose full flow fitting. At the sea cock I installed this full-flow bend to aim the pipe back toward the tank. The outlet in the tank is a plastic thru hull fitting.

To reduce strain on the fittings I used the most flexible rubber hose I could find.

Early stage of Tank Construction:

When I tested the tank and measured it's capacity I emptied it by opening the thru hull ... it didn't take long with the boat sitting on a trailer but a sea trial is the only way for a real test.

John, I really like your bronze fittings. I may have to upgrade mine in the future.
Peter
==================
Victoria BC Canada
Albin Ballad 30

Peter

Post by Peter »

Finally down to the small stuff, ready to launch as soon as I receive the knotmeter thru hull and install it. It's going to be great to have the old girl back in the water :-)
Peter
==================
Victoria BC Canada
Albin Ballad 30

Tim

Post by Tim »

Can't wait to see her in the water again! Good luck.
Tim

Post by Tim »

Nice job on the letters, BTW. I don't know how anyone can freehand lettering and that sort of thing; it's a skill I don't remotely possess. I'm jealous.
Peter

Post by Peter »

Tim wrote:I don't know how anyone can freehand lettering
Well, it wasn't exactly freehand. I printed out the name on stiff paper, cut it out with an exacto knife to make a stencil, pencil-lined the letters onto the hull, and "borrowed" one of my dear wife's art brushes to do the final strokes.

A little penetrol in the paint really helped it flow. By the time I got around to the dinghy my hand was getting a lot steadier. Maybe I should have started there!
Peter
==================
Victoria BC Canada
Albin Ballad 30

Tim

Post by Tim »

Peter wrote:Well, it wasn't exactly freehand.
That's freehand in my book!
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

Most impressive. This really is a vanishing art.

For decades all of my family's trucks were hand-lettered by the same guy. Boats too. The Lettering Guy retired in the early 90's, just a few months before my father bought his Luhrs. He tracked him down and got him to put the name on the boat. Years pass, and dad gets the Ocean, again he tracks down The Lettering Guy and drags him out of retirement to put the name on the boat. I think he had to drive the guy to the art store to buy a few brushes on the way to the boatyard.
The Lettering Guy passed away the following year.
My brother and I mildly suspect that part of my father's reluctance to move on to a more sensible boat is that he wouldn't know who to call to apply the new name.
Peter

Post by Peter »

The Vega is finally back in the water. It's amazing how well she sails with a clean bottom and new rudder bushings ... like a whole new boat :-)

Short video clip of the "test sail" in perfect weather. (Caution: big file)

All the new "improvements" are working well, including the knotmeter (thanks Todd!)
The "kiss" holding tank passed with flying colors ... just don't try to empty it when heeled way over on the port tack.

Now it's time to get busy provisioning for a three week trip up the inside passage in May.
Peter
==================
Victoria BC Canada
Albin Ballad 30

Tim

Post by Tim »

I don't think anything beats getting your project back into the water for the first time.

Looks like great weather! I can't wait to go sailing again myself. Still a ways off, though.
Shark
Boat Name: Scoot
Boat Type: Shark 24

Albin Vega Project

Post by Shark »

Way to go Peter!

Congratulations on finishing your overhaul.
Lyman
Shark 24
http://www.shark24.ca
kabauze
Boat Name: Nevermind
Boat Type: Pearson Triton #450

Post by kabauze »

Congrats, Peter! Your planned trip sounds like a great adventure - have fun!

Todd
Peter

Post by Peter »

A small footnote to an old thread:
Groco issued a recall on the valves I used, so I had to change them. Using my beaching legs on two consecutive days I managed (with the help of a fellow sailor) to change all four valves, in spite of the fact they were installed with liberal doses of 3M 5200 Fast Cure on the thru-hull threads!

The secret was to apply heat, with a small propane torch, to the body of the valve inside the boat while the 'volunteer' helper stood outside in the mud and used a 2 foot pipe on the end of a home-made through hull wrench to slowly unscrew them.

We got the last bit of cleanup and bottom paint touch-up done while lying in the dinghy as the tide rose. Great fun all 'round ... thank goodness that's done!
Peter
==================
Victoria BC Canada
Albin Ballad 30

Peter

Post by Peter »

My most recent edition is a propane locker, to supply fuel to a new Force 10 Cozy Cabin heater. Heat at the push of a button ... what a concept!

I copied the locker design from another Vega. We both have Navik wind vanes, and his solution was a neat work-around for getting the tank installed where the vane mounts came through.

Initial box outline. I had to remove and plug the bilge blower hole. The Navik mounts were moved from the back of the cockpit combing to the back of the box. The box is securley fastened to the deck with angle brackets and lag screws through the rear corners, and should be rigid enough to hold the wind vane.

Finished box (minus latches) painted with "in stock" paint. It'll get recoated when I repaint the decks ... one day.
The front lower corners of the box (just out of sight) have 1" holes to allow any fumes to dissipate overboard.
The lid has non-skid on it, and with the solar panels flipped back, makes a great seat.

Open box showing 10lb aluminum horizontal tank. There's space for a couple of 4" PVC pipe caps to hold small 1lb bottles.
The locker may even be large enough for a 20lb bottle, but a 10lb bottle is a nice easy weigh to carry ashore and back.
(Yes, I know: 1 screw missing from the front support ... I ran out).
Peter
==================
Victoria BC Canada
Albin Ballad 30

Shark
Boat Name: Scoot
Boat Type: Shark 24

Post by Shark »

Peter,

Excellent job!!
Lyman
Shark 24
http://www.shark24.ca
Tim

Post by Tim »

I always knew you had a screw loose. ;<)
Chris Campbell
Boat Name: Luna
Boat Type: Yankee 30

Post by Chris Campbell »

That is beautiful. Well done! I have to build something similar on my Yankee 30, and now hope that there is enough room behind the cockpit for me to steal your idea! If so I'll certainly give credit...
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

Beautiful job! My only question would be: Does it have a drain in the bottom for any propane that may leak out? ABYC not only wants the locker to be closed and away from hatches but also wants it to drain any fumes (propane gas is heavier than air) in case of a leak. Your design seems to fit the criteria and blend in with the lines of the boat.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Peter wrote: The front lower corners of the box (just out of sight) have 1" holes to allow any fumes to dissipate overboard.
Dave - the aforementioned holes would do it, no? (Maybe you missed that sentence while reveling in the beauty of the new box.)

Peter: Wow, that is nice and tidy. Great job, and thanks for posting the results here, especially with the photos in stages.

I have a question for woodworkers: What do you call those corner shapes that are made of solid wood and accept the edges of the plywood sheets? I might like to ask someone to make me some lengths of those so that I can have them to use for projects, and I'm guessing they have a name other than "corner shapes."

Rachel
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane

Post by Hirilondë »

Aha, I did miss that line. Yes, that would meet the requirements.

I don't know of any name for the corner piece shape. Used a lot on boat cabinetry as the round corners are safer to bang into than sharp ones. They aren't that hard to make. Need a table saw and router (router table is even better). They can be made out of 2 pieces to give a large radius without using extremely thick stock and still look like they aren't a glue up.
Dave Finnegan
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

This probably sounds silly once it's obvious, but how do you divide if you're making them out of two pieces?

Rachel
bcooke
Master of the Arcane

Post by bcooke »

Well done.

Aesthetically, it fits perfectly.
-Britton
Work is overrated.

The Website
The Blog
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane

Post by Hirilondë »

Rachel wrote:This probably sounds silly once it's obvious, but how do you divide if you're making them out of two pieces?

Rachel
Like this:

Dave Finnegan
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Well that was worth 1,000 words. Thanks!

R.
bcooke
Master of the Arcane

Post by bcooke »

Best explanation I have read in a while :-)
-Britton
Work is overrated.

The Website
The Blog
Peter

Post by Peter »

Thank you all you the compliments. I copied the idea from another boat, and I suspect the originator was the second previous owner to the one who has it now. There's quite a story attached to this boat!

Tim, the "loose" screw has been installed. It was more a matter of a 'lose' , or lost, screw ;-)

I'm debating wether or not to install a shut-off solenoid. Reading some of the other boat forums, they seem to be problems with some of them overheating. Also, it's one more current draw and one level up in complexity.

The tank only serves the bulkhead heater, which is midway between the fore hatch and the companionway hatch ... both good escape routes. As I still love my Origo 3000 cook stove, I don't plan on changing it over to propane. But if I did, I understand a solenoid is mandatory.

Rachel, I'm not sure what the corner pieces are called. A friend, who owns China Cloud, suggested the method to me. I made them from a nice piece of old growth Douglas Fir, picked up from the front lawn of a late 1800's house being renovated. It still had square nails in it!

The whole box is wrapped in fiberglass cloth and epoxy, with reinforcements in the corners.
Peter
==================
Victoria BC Canada
Albin Ballad 30

Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Peter,

You know the fellow who owns China Cloud? Neato! Is he the same person the Farrells mentioned passing her along to? I'm glad to hear she's still cruising along. What a cool boat!

I saw China Cloud anchored in False Bay on Lasqueti when I was there in 2001 - I believe Mr. Farrell was aboard at that time, but I was too shy to approach the boat. I would love to have met him though, and to have seen China Cloud from aboard.

At the small, old-timey marina I lived in for a few months while getting ready to head north, "Native Girl" was just across the dock (another Farrell-built beauty).

(Image from site of Mark Wallace, Shipwright) http://www.markwallaceshipwright.com/native.html

I feel like I may have said this before (and if I have, I'm sure Britton will let me know ;), but before I went out there, I had heard of Allen and Shari, and that they built sailboats "from driftwood found on the beach, with hand tools." Being from Lake Superior, an image sprang to mind of the weathered, grey sticks that wash up on shore, and make good fires, or interesting decorations.

Of course once I got to BC, I realized that "driftwood" meant giant trees four feet in diameter and sixty feet long!

Rachel