New Gas For Columbia 34

Post photos and descriptions of your ongoing projects here. No project is too big or too small.
Columbia34
Almost a Finish Carpenter

New Gas For Columbia 34

Post by Columbia34 »

The old gas tank was failing and could only hold about 12 gal with out leaking, the new tank is all stainless steel and holds about 29 gal. The tank location was under the dinette seat, not the best place for it and we talke about relocating it but a new non-leaking tank in the same location should be fine.

Mark.Wilme
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Post by Mark.Wilme »

NICE TANK !
Mark.
S/V Calypso. 2001 Beneteau Oceanis 381
Not quite a plastic classic yet
dmairspotter
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Wind Horse
Boat Type: 1974 Dufour 27

Post by dmairspotter »

Nice fit!!

That is going to be on heckuva boat!
Columbia34

Post by Columbia34 »

Thanks for the comments we are getting there, now its time to put it all back together. plus add a few new systems like air/heat and a anchor windlass.

Scott
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the sheer SIZE of this boat. It's a full order of magnitude beyond my normal thought process. That tank would be half of my friggin boat! :)
Columbia34

Post by Columbia34 »

Its a 29 gallon tank 1 gallon smaller than orginal and its still almost did not fix back in the hole. Its a big boat there is a full 6+ feet head room everywhere, except in the salon area there is a good 7'. The boat has an average freeboard of about 5 feet about 6.5' at the bow. It been a big project but I am trying to take advantage of the heated shop and get as many projects done as I can.

Scott
Ceasar Choppy
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist

Post by Ceasar Choppy »

Figment... I think you'd be surprised. I'm looking at having a similar sized fuel tank made (although out of plastic) and I would estimate its dimensions at around 10" high x 28" wide x 25" long. Just enough to fit under your entire cockpit area no doubt! :)
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

Beautiful!

Now I see more holes in the top than I can explain. Fill,supply,return, quantity guage and what are the others?...

Well, Mike won't fit a square ten inch high tank under his cockpit but he could get 29 gallons in there if he really wanted to (and he ripped out his nifty new exhaust system). My tank-under-construction-as-we-speak is similar in capacity but I could never guess it just by looking at it. I still doubt my calculations but if that gorgeous work of art is 29 gallons then I guess I am in the ballpark too.

-Britton
-Britton
Work is overrated.

Most everything you read on the Internet is wrong.

The Website
The Blog
Columbia34

Post by Columbia34 »

Yeah there is a fill, sending unit, vent, return, and a spot if we or someone eles wanted to add a generator (for noe it will just be pluged). Its a crazy shapped tank but we water tested it and it held 29 gallons.

Scott