A tiller idea

Post photos and descriptions of your ongoing projects here. No project is too big or too small.
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

A tiller idea

Post by Figment »

This is a tiller-and-a-half from a Valiant 40. I'm sort of adapting this idea for my tillerpilot.
jpmathieu
Almost a Finish Carpenter
Boat Name: Twize
Boat Type: Pearson Renegade

Post by jpmathieu »

You have to explain that contraption to everyone.
JP
Renegade #153 TWIZE

It never ends!
fusto
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Erebus
Boat Type: Apollo 16

Post by fusto »

hmm... It looks to me like when your underway and your using your tiller-pilot or a windvane to steer, you can fold the large human sized tiller up out of the cockpit and let the autopilot/windvane use the stubby one.

Or did I get that totally wrong?
Zachary
Adams, MA
CharlieJ
Wood Whisperer

Post by CharlieJ »

I 'd say you got it exactly right- that's what it looks like to me too- see the windvane control lines coming in from each side?

Neat idea.
Figment

Post by Figment »

That's the jist of it, though I've no plans for a windvane.

The tricky part will be the tiller head, I think.
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Post by dasein668 »

Figment wrote:The tricky part will be the tiller head, I think.
I see a funky custom bracket in your future...

How goes progress on your recessed tiller pilot box? Pics?
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

I've also seen a variation where the tiller is cut wherever you want the break and using a fancy-type lap joint. Then it's refastened using a pair of fasteners. That way you can take it apart and have the short tiller for use with a wind vane or etc. and then put it back together when you want the full-length tiller. It doesn't just flip up out of the way like that one, but on the other hand you don't have all that bracketry to deal with.

I would search up a photo right now but the Internet is sloooooow here today and it would take me forever.

Rachel
CharlieJ
Wood Whisperer

Post by CharlieJ »

Jon Eisberg on CSBB has his set up like that. I've asked him to post a pic so I could repost it here.
Figment

Post by Figment »

I've begun to wonder how funky or custom the bracket really needs to be. What's inadequate about a simple custom-cut stainless strap astride the rudder head, liberally through-bolted to the tiller?

The tillerpilot housing is very much as it was when you saw it. I managed to get a piece of tape over the seam before the cold weather hit, but nothing since.
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

Getting the tiller out of the cockpit while on auto sounds like a worthy task. I like the break down tiller idea Rachel mentions. I am a big fan of KISS. But then again, half the fun of these type projects is the process of creating a solution, good luck with it.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

If it were me, I'd prefer a setup that left the "real" tiller in place so that it was available when I needed it to actually steer the boat.

In an emergency, I'd rather not have to be stuck holding a short stubby semi-tiller, particularly when in a Triton it would be deep in the cockpit well and extremely awkward to handle (never mind the lack of mechanical advantage). A 2-part tiller that needed to be fastened back in place sounds like it could complicate a potential situation that having a real tiller close at hand would easily avoid.

Everyone who has used an autopilot has become complacent enough during its use to find themselves in a semi-cricital swerving situation to avoid something. When that happens, I'd rather be holding the actual tiller. That said, the idea of a short tiller for the autopilot that allows the real one to be swung out of the way is a good concept that opens up the cockpit. I just think the real means of steering should always be right there and ready for immediate use, without fussing or thought.

I don't think the bracket needs to be overly complicated. It just needs to work satisfactorily in both modes. How you achieve this can probably take a dozen different forms.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Peter
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Pagan
Boat Type: Albin Ballad 30

Post by Peter »

Here is another short tiller idea from a C27 website.
Peter
==================
Victoria BC Canada
Albin Ballad 30

http://www.mostlyaboutboats.ca
Figment

Post by Figment »

Hey, thanks Peter!
I like the way that one hinges off the main tiller and leaves the tiller/rudder head assembly alone.