Pinhole repair before prime/paint

Post photos and descriptions of your ongoing projects here. No project is too big or too small.
dmairspotter
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Wind Horse
Boat Type: 1974 Dufour 27

Pinhole repair before prime/paint

Post by dmairspotter »

I'm finally getting off my duff and doing something to the boat. The boat was awlgripped sometime long ago, and the stern, particularly, is in really bad shape. Being the lazy cuss that I am, I have decided to just clean up the stern (repaint) and then go sailing instead of painting the whole thing.

Anyway, today I sanded off the old whitish awlgrip, and what I guess was the light gray primer underneath. It appears to me that I'm down to the original gelcoat, which is white. I found these very small pinholes through the "gelcoat" down to the fiberglass.

So, the question is, what is the best fill method. These are really small and I'm afraid epoxy won't penetrate, especially if it has any filler in it.

I'm planning to try Toplac or Perfection topsides paint...

Any thoughts?
Capn_Tom
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Type: Westsail 32

Post by Capn_Tom »

Interlux Surfacing Putty is pretty creamy and light bodied. Force it in with a squeegee or putty knife prior to priming.
The board does not cut itself short!
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

I suggest something like Alexseal 202 fairing compound, or the similar Awlgrip Awl-Fair fairing putty. These are smooth, fine fillers designed for exactly this sort of thing; both are excellent.

Interlux changed the surfacing putty a while back, and while I used to like it, I was underwhelmed when last used it, and wouldn't recommend it based on that experience.

Another choice might be System Three Quik-Fair putty. I used this extensively in the past, though not recently. Advertising photos from System Three show this stuff being a totally different color than it was when I used it, so I don't know what they've done to it. It used to be a smooth, creamy purple microballoon compound, but now it looks to be tan in color. Who knows if it works the same or not.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

I think they changed the quick-fair when they got into the whole "Gel-Magic" thing. It's definitely more gel-like than paste-like.
Speed of cure and hardness/sandability of end product are comparable to the old version, as far as this shadetree-mechanic's eye can tell.
CharlieJ
Wood Whisperer

Post by CharlieJ »

I've used 3M acrylic body filler under paints for years now. They make a red, and a green. Plus there is a marine version in white. I use the white under light colors and the red under dark colors.

Comes in a big tube like toothpaste. Applies with a squeegee, cures fast and sands easily.

The pin holes you picture are exactly what it's designed for.
Ceasar Choppy
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist

Post by Ceasar Choppy »

I used the green 3M spot putty last time I painted... was easier to see what was left while fairing. In fact, I used it ALL OVER my boat because it had significant crazing that high-build primer wouldn't fill and it would have taken me forever to open and fill each crack. Lasted about 7 years, cracks are back-- but its not my boat anymore.

But the spot putty was great stuff and easy to use.
ArielHull97
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by ArielHull97 »

Here too used 3M spot putty 20 bucks a tube, put it on in coats, as it will shrink when it cures. Dont do as a did and just pile it up in a attempt to make sure there was enough to compensate for the cure, it just makes more work.
1963 Pearson Ariel hull #97
Susquehanna River / Chesapeake Bay
HdG, MD
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED