JOLLYBOATS MAST SUPPORT BEAM REPAIR, CONTINUED

Post photos and descriptions of your ongoing projects here. No project is too big or too small.
jollyboat
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Jollyboat
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

JOLLYBOATS MAST SUPPORT BEAM REPAIR, CONTINUED

Post by jollyboat »

I am pleased to report that I was able to remove the mast support beam from Jollyboat without any problems. I have secured strips of white oak to proceed with this project. I am seriously considering an elaborate repair of the existing beam or at least incorporating "parts" of the existing beam into the new 'frankinstien' that will be installed. Somewhere in the threads I read that it helps to have another boat to sail on while working on your own or else it can be hard on ones spirits - this could not be more true for me as I want to sail Jollyboat very much - so this has led me down 'quick and dirty lane' on many of my projects. Because I have done this all before and the hard way at that - it has kind of made it easier for me to take the high road on many of my approaches - don't get me wrong - nothing has been hack - all first class but with less blood sweat and tears.
Today, I am breaking down and buying a (@#$&!#!!) camera so that I can get some photos up here.
Brian
Jollyboat, Triton #466
Sepi,Triton #346 (1st, Triton)

No Quarter
jollyboat

WHITE OAK STRIPS - Blown Up Saws

Post by jollyboat »

June 2, was a difficult day. Lagistics are huge problem for me in really getting anything done on 466. Not having any 'real' place to set up jigs - tools - store things - is a real bummer. After driving all over creatation to assemble tools, wood, clamps - what have you - I attempted to cut out some white oak strips out of huge board. I pretty much destroyed two table saws in the process - ruined a nice piece of lumber and am no further ahead today than yestday - extremely frustrating. I have tons of expierence with power tools and table saws and never have had anything like this happen to me in the past. Huge bummer - very disappointing - was so fired up yesterday I almost threw in the towel. MH has kindly offered to let me borrow his original mast beam support as a template - going to get that today. thank goodness there is cold beer in the fridge.
I need a sandwich. [img][img]http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/upload ... 142520.jpg[/img][/img]
Brian
Jollyboat, Triton #466

No Quarter
jollyboat

MAST BEAM ATTAINED

Post by jollyboat »

OK - much better day today - drove to NH's boat shed and exchanged 466 original south coast winches for Mikes mast beam - problem solved - sanded down the replacement beam and took it to the boat for a fitting - fits like a glove - very pleased with the out come. Also discovered why I blew one of the table saws yesterday - turns out that the saw I was using had a broken "over heat" switch - which would shut my saw down before it melted down - no switch, no auto shut down = buying my father a new table saw - expensive lesson. Things happen. Here is a pic of the old and new beam and of 466 at her mooring with the mast on deck waiting for her new mast beam. (finally pictures)
Brian
Jollyboat, Triton #466

No Quarter
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

I love it when a plan comes together!

Seriously, I'm just psyched that something good came of my pack-ratting. I considered discarding that beam at least a dozen times over the last few years. It's going to go sailing again, and that's a great thing. White oak needs a boat.
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Post by dasein668 »

I loved! that show when I was a kid!

I'm amazed that the beam from one Triton actually fit into another, frankly, given the weird construction differences from boat to boat. That's really slick!
jollyboat

mast beam continued

Post by jollyboat »

That mast beam had me at "hello". I must admit that i was a bit surprised at the fit too - then I just figured - what the hell, go wiith it - this about getting the be boat commissioned for sailing. I have also overcome the hurdle as to how I am going to get my outboard mounted in such a mannor that it can reach the water when deployed and be completely removed once I am out of the river and in open water for sailing. All good things. I was also able to hook up with Rig Rite Rigging and they are sending me new gooseneck and vang fittings. So I am in good shape. I am having Hathaway shorten my backstay for a purchase and having turn buckles installed on my jumpers. Very exciting stuff! Thanks to all for you comic relief and help concerning this project. Three Cheers!
Brian
Jollyboat, Triton #466

No Quarter
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

And we have a flag on the play. Pop-culture reference violation.
Jerry MaGuire may not be referenced in the same thread as The A-Team.
Somebody find my cat-o-nine. ;)

Gotta love the A-Team. Particularly as I grew up with a big ol' chevy conversion-van as the family car. (my brother and I were hockey brats). When the time came to retire one van and buy another, both my brother and I were heartbroken that Dad bought another chevy instead of a GMC.

I too am baffled that the beam actually fit. I really was mostly-joking when I suggested that it might. More than anything else, this probably says something about how loosely these beams fit when they were new. These things weren't built with Onionskin Tolerances, eh?

Can't wait to see the outboard mounting solution now!
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando

Post by Tim »

jollyboat wrote:I was also able to hook up with Rig Rite Rigging and they are sending me new gooseneck and vang fittings.
Let us know when you actually get the fittings. Forgive me, but I always expect the worst from Rig-Rite, so if you end up with a positive experience and parts in hand, it will be good for all readers to know, including (especially) me.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
jollyboat

RIG RITE FITTINGS

Post by jollyboat »

I received the RIG-RITE fittings. They are very beautiful and were shipped in a timely mannor. I worked with a woman by the name of Megan at Rig-Rite and all went very smoothly. I have techical drawings for pretty much every part on the TRITON and sent the mast profile over to RIG-RITE with my questions on the parts that I wanted to order. As I am sure you know - the original masts that were installed on the Tritons were PEARSON mast and PEARSON did a lot if not all of the fabrication for the little bits that went along with the rigging. I ordered parts for J-24 mast to achieve what I wanted to do - a fixed goose neck fitting and a fixed vang tang for a rigded vang. The vang tang I ordered is designed for J-24 mast but I am installing it on my boom - the math works so what hell - I went for it. I set up a commercial account with RIG-RITE so as to get terms and time. I asked for 30 days - they gave me ten - fine with me. One crazy thing with RIG-RITE is that they do not seem to do the whole e-mail communication thing - they like to communicate (for everything -) via FAX
Brian
Jollyboat, Triton #466

No Quarter
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando

Post by Tim »

I'm glad to hear that you had a good experience with Rig-Rite. If I hear a couple more good stories I am willing to reconsider my own views!
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
jollyboat

Post by jollyboat »

Tim - I remember your comments about Rig-Rite - I thought of you when first picked up the phone- but after I started faxing things over -things seemed to smooth out. I will say that because of the whole FAX thing that things seem to go at slightly slower speed - I guess, in this case I have my parts - ordered on friday -here on monday.
Brian
Jollyboat, Triton #466

No Quarter
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Re: RIG RITE FITTINGS

Post by dasein668 »

jollyboat wrote:One crazy thing with RIG-RITE is that they do not seem to do the whole e-mail communication thing - they like to communicate (for everything -) via FAX
That's exceptionally convenient for those of us without fax machines. Glad to hear you had good luck, though.