Warning about PB Blaster!!

Post photos and descriptions of your ongoing projects here. No project is too big or too small.
Maine Sail
Skilled Systems Installer

Warning about PB Blaster!!

Post by Maine Sail »

Hi All,

I thought I would let you all know that I have discovered, the expensive way, that you should never use PB Blaster near ANY engine or transmission seals.

I needed to remove my shaft coupling so I sprayed the bolts with PB Blaster thinking nothing of it. Evidently some of it dripped onto my transmission output seal and when I went to the boat he next day the majority of my transmission fluid was in the pan and not the transmission.

My transmission is a 2003 ZF v-drive and had never ever leaked a drop. After speaking with a few mechanics about this they know it well. PB Blaster can eat engine seals, transmission seals and plastic cups. Keep this stuff far away from any output shafts, engine seals or seals you don't want leaking.

PB Blaster is great stuff but very dangerous to the tune of $800.00 on my transmission. Use it with caution!
-Maine Sail

Canadian Sailcraft 36T
Casco Bay, ME
http://www.marinehowto.com
MQMurphy
Topside Painter
Boat Name: Ikey Boy
Boat Type: Paceship Westwind 24

Post by MQMurphy »

Wow! Thanks for the warning. I'd never heard of that stuff until this month's "Sail" magazine came - it was mentioned as a super-duper corrosion buster for frozen bolts, etc.
- Mike Murphy
S/V Ikey Boy
1968 Westwind 24
Shoalcove
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by Shoalcove »

I had the exact same thing happen to me although I never knew that the PB Blaster was the problem. Had to replace a damper plate and used copious amounts of PB Blaster to loosen all the bolts and, voila, next day my tranny fluid is in the bilge. A little late for me but maybe someone will be saved the trouble.
BTW I still think PB Blaster is great stuff. I'll just be more cautious if I get another can. It is not available here in the frozen north.
Best regards, David
gonesail
Bottom Sanding Grunt

Post by gonesail »

wow that is bad. i did spray some WD40 on my shaft coupling after getting a little salt water on it. hope this is ok!!
Zach
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist

Post by Zach »

PB Blaster is some weird stuff.

It also will bring back dead weather stripping around fixed windows on cars.

Wonder what it actually does to rubber?