I'm going to use Silicone

Post photos and descriptions of your ongoing projects here. No project is too big or too small.
s/v Groovy
Master Varnisher

I'm going to use Silicone

Post by s/v Groovy »

I'm going to use Silicone, to back the carpet I cut for my interior. The old carpet that came with Groovy, was roughly cut to shape for the different sections of the interior. I freshened it up , by just tossing it in the washing machine, and then troweling flexible bathroom caulking on the back. This helped to stiffen it and make it fairly nonskid. I finally found a remnant I liked, and cut it to a close fit. I'm having the edged professionally bound, and will then use silicone for the backing this time. One silicone layer to seal the backing and a second applied with a glue trowel to give it nonskid 'ridges'. My thinking is silicone will have a bit more grip on the fiberglass pan in Groovy.

I'll admit that a teak and holly sole would be nicer.....baby steps.

I hope I found an acceptable application for silicone, I will never again apply this evil stuff directly the boat. But as nonskid carpet backing I hope it is permissible.

The cut pieces are at the at the carpet binder, pics soon to follow....
Gregg
Pearson Renegade #145
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Post by dasein668 »

It should work well for what you describe.

I just hope you don't ever have to get it all off!
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Thank heaven...I thought perhaps you'd lost your mind from the subject! hehe

Sounds like you've come up with a good use for the rubbery characteristics of silicone.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

You got me, too! I nearly skipped ahead in my "posts since last visit" list just to open this one and read the bold assertion followed by the (justified) outcry. Heh.

I've heard of people making their own version of sailing dinnerware by running a ring of silicone (or perhaps other) caulk around the bottom of a plate or bowl. Never tried it myself, but only because I'd rather use Scoot-Gard than try to wash and clean around those rings.

Rachel
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

LOL, I think you will trap many of us into reading your post whether we are interested in your real topic or not with that title!
s/v Groovy wrote:I'll admit that a teak and holly sole would be nicer.....baby steps.
I was sooo tempted to make one for my Renegade. That is until the first time I cleaned out down below. One piece plastic cabin sole with no seams and rounded inside corners; nothing cleans easier. Take out your carpet, use a scrub brush, soap, buckets of water and/or hose. Then pump out the bilge. I decided to do many other woodworking projects instead. Actually, I don't use a carpet either. My sole is Interdeck with a nice teak and holly inspection port to the bilge.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Post by dasein668 »

Tynaje wrote:Nothing at all worng with using silicone for bedding. I am serious, knock off that lost mind crap!!!! Read your own rules or PROTOCOL!!
Easy tiger.

Many of us have had serious problems dealing with silicone removal during our projects. Sorry, but it 'taint "mind control." The stuff leaves a tenacious film that stubbornly resists removal and can cause serious problems with coating adhesion. It's a fact. Does that mean that no one should ever use it in any situation? No, probably not. Does that mean that many of us have advocated against its use as an every-day boat product? Yes, and for reasons born out of first hand experience.

If people want to use it, they should go right ahead. But neither should those of us who hate the stuff refrain from suggesting alternatives.
Tim

Post by Tim »

Tynaje wrote:I am serious, knock off that lost mind crap!!!! Read your own rules or PROTOCOL!!
I don't see what the forum rules or protocol have to do with any of the postings here. But in any event, please leave such determinations to the moderators only.
Tynaje wrote:Nothing at all worng with using silicone for bedding.
Other than the fact that you can never completely remove the residue and it contaminates the surface--and often the adjacent surfaces--forever.

If you have a secret that eliminates this problem, please share it with the rest of us who have struggled unsuccessfully for years with this issue. I know I'd love to have a method for removing it from all the boats I work on that have been carelessly slathered with the stuff over the years; dealing with silicone removal sure makes it hard to prep for paint or other treatments. I'm sure others would like to know too.
s/v Groovy
Master Varnisher

Post by s/v Groovy »

Pics...

Before, with old carpet:

During, fiberglass liner:

After, new carpet:

Binding edge detail:

Silicone application:

new upholstery and Formica yet to come....
Gregg
Pearson Renegade #145
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

Though I must say that I would've used lots of velcro before resorting to direct adhesion, I really admire the new installation!

The bright yellow plam actually looks GOOD with the grey carpet! What's the plan for the new color?
Tim

Post by Tim »

Unless I misunderstand, I think the point of the silicone is not for direct adhesion, but to create a rubbery mat on the back of the carpet to prevent slippage. I think the carpet is still loose. Correct?

That yellow is so crazy that it almost seems to work. Perhaps now you need some hot pink and lime green cushions?
s/v Groovy
Master Varnisher

Post by s/v Groovy »

yep, not glued down at all, Silicone applied as backing only, sealed the carpet backing from crumbling and gave it an effective nonskid backing. It doesn't really move at all, and I have maintained my pledge to never apply silicone directly to a boat again ;-)

The carpet is kind of light taupe, tanish grey I guess. $40 bought me a 60sq foot remnant, and I liked the linear pattern. I have enough left over I can replace sections if needed. For cushions I was thinking about a dark blue or green, maybe with cream piping that matches the cabin liner. The pro that is going to make the cabin cushions for me is going to make some suggestion too, when she makes the patterns. I think I'm going to sew the v-birth set, using a memory foam bed topper we were given. The Formica will become 'white suede', white with a slight pattern to it to help conceal the eventual blemishes.

I could always use this, her name is 'groovy' after all...

http://reprodepot.stores.yahoo.net/alohapink.html
Gregg
Pearson Renegade #145