More Deck Fairing

Post photos and descriptions of your ongoing projects here. No project is too big or too small.
jhenson
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

More Deck Fairing

Post by jhenson »

I know these pictures are a bit boooooring, but I'm excited to be closing in on fair decks. Please forgive the poor qualitiy of the photos, as well. It was a rainy day here today. So, I vacuumed dust all day, and took these shots under the tarp.

I have been off from work this week spending my time at home fairing decks on the Triton. I am very pleased with the progress, but I still have a ways to go on them. There are about 10,000 small spots I need to fill, but the bulk of work on the decks is complete.

I also managed to install the engine access hatch hardware and gasket. The latches were adjusted and the hatch seem so to fit well with the gasket compressing evenly around the opening.

Joe
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Not boring at all! I could look at that stuff all day. Thanks for the update.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

Hey! you have been keeping too quiet on your work there. That's a lot of work!

Kinda tight working the deck around the cabin sides isn't it?

-Britton
-Britton
Work is overrated.

Most everything you read on the Internet is wrong.

The Website
The Blog
jhenson

Post by jhenson »

Britton,

It feels like a lot of work!! You?re right though, I need to post pictures more often.

The side decks, with this awning frame is less than ideal to say the least.

Maybe we will both have newly painted Tritons in the spring!!! I can?t seem to resolve the issue of topside color yet, so it is just as well that I will not be ready to paint this fall.

Joe
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

I don't have any colors 'resolved' either.

Once the prep work is done I figure re-painting shouldn't be a huge ordeal.

-Britton
-Britton
Work is overrated.

Most everything you read on the Internet is wrong.

The Website
The Blog
Tim

Post by Tim »

jhenson wrote:I need to post pictures more often.
Always!

Seriously, no one's bored by incremental progress photos (well, if they are, they don't have to read the threads), so keep em' coming.
jhenson

Post by jhenson »

The temperature is up to about 70 degrees today, so I am spot fairing the decks and starting on the obvious sections of the hull.

Joe
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

Joe, what's your hull number?

Do yourself a favor on that aft deck. The backstay chainplate will always flex forward and make a little crack at the joint between the toerail/curb and the deck. You might as well accommodate it. Dig out a bit of that joint and extend a little bit of the toerail/curb farther forward.
jhenson

Post by jhenson »

Mike,

Hull #114. Pretty close to yours.

Thanks for the advice. I wouldn't have thought of that. I need to cut a new opening anyway, since I have been a little sloppy with fairing compound.

Joe
Figment

Post by Figment »

Tim

Post by Tim »

Figment wrote:The backstay chainplate will always flex forward and make a little crack at the joint between the toerail/curb and the deck.
Kind of like this...

jhenson

Post by jhenson »

Dig out a bit of that joint and extend a little bit of the toerail/curb farther forward.
I confess that I really didn't understand what you were saying initially. Thanks for the captions. Do I need to laminate some biax material on the forward side of the toerail? How about from below? If so, how many layers? Do you have any pictures of what was done to yours?

Joe
Tim

Post by Tim »

If I were "fixing" that little problem, I'd be inclined to make a sort of "power bulge" forward of the chainplate, thickening and reinforcing only that area. I'd fair that cleanly and smoothly into the remainder of the taffrail molding.

If you add material, do it from the top side; adding more thickness below is only going to decrease the available clearance for the chainplate, and may not eliminate the problem (never mind the difficulty of working in that space beneath). The molding in that area is extremely thin and fragile to begin with, so additional material, even over the entire leading edge of the taffrail, would be a good thing. Heck, the entire poop deck on these boats is wafer thin and fragile, for that matter.

I never noticed this problem on Glissando because of the way my boxed toerail works, but it is a pretty standard feature on Tritons with this sort of molded taffrail and chainplate design. 75% of the Tritons currently in my care feature this little annoyance (assuming that it exists on 381 as well, which I expect it does).
jhenson

Post by jhenson »

Tim,

Thanks for the help!

Joe
Figment

Post by Figment »

I was thinking along the same lines. Don't try to resist the inevitable, but accommodate it instead. Rather than try to limit the movement or resist the (quite considerable) force, I'd give that thing all the space it wants.

"power bulge"... yeah, I think if I were to come at it fresh I'd precast a thickness of reinforced epoxy in the bottom of a coffee cup or something, and then cut it in half. Basically make a smaller mirror-image of the "power bulge" that's just forward of your new hatch-hole, the one originally intended to accommodate the mainsheet blocks.
jhenson

Post by jhenson »

Mike,

I have a pretty good picture of what you are talking about. I will post some pictures when I get going on this little project.

Thanks again,

Joe