color scheme of boot stripe and bottom

Post photos and descriptions of your ongoing projects here. No project is too big or too small.
BALANCE
Skilled Systems Installer

color scheme of boot stripe and bottom

Post by BALANCE »

This is not happening in the next few days but....

Hull is beige, current boot stripe is brown, bottom is blue - what's left of it. Sailcloth is brown. Bulwarks exterior are brown. Tim, I know you have deep felt opinions on all this.

At some point, I'd like to make the hull dark, either green or blue. In the meantime I was pondering a dark green bootstripe (I don't think this will be too weird with brown sailcloth). What color bottom would look good to a green boot stripe? Red seems to dark, teal doesn't seems right, nor does blue.

If I do change the color or the boot stripe, do I have to change the color of the bulwarks?

None of this is important to her integrity (and all that falls in that category , like the boomkin and rebedding of some hardware) but it's fun to think about this kind of thing while I am contorted doing the harder stuff. It allows me to envision the ultimate goal of getting off the hard.
So girls, what say ye?

S/V BALANCE
Westsail32
Oscar
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Lady Kay IV
Boat Type: 1990 Dragonfly 25

Post by Oscar »

Take the above picture of your boat and get a cheap/free photo manipulation /art shareware program to doodle, this is THE way to visualize........... (In fact I think the average PC comes with something like that....)

Example: As a result of the above described exercise I was able to rule out the flaming green without spending a penny......Image

If you don't have the tech know how to pull that off I can work with you. Oh, and paint the bottom black.
Out there, alone, there is only truth.
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Are you keeping the brown dodger on a long term basis?
Oscar

Post by Oscar »

Like so:

Bluenose
Boat Name: Bolero
Boat Type: Modified Shields One Design

Post by Bluenose »

Tim, I know you have deep felt opinions on all this.
And I would say that either of these two pictures.

Should quickly bring him out of hiding.

For me, and I am definitely no expert having almost completely deferred to Tim on matters of color, I would worry that a dark topside color would accentuate the fullness of your Westsail. I also like the contrast between the topside and the bulwarks. And it sure would be nice to have some contrast between the boot stripe and the bottom paint.

For color mockups I can recommend two products that I used to make the 300 or 400 versions of Bolero:

Paint.net (http://paint.net/)

and

Pixeur (http://www.veign.com/application.php?appid=107)

Paint.net is a very capable paint program that easily (at least for me) allows you to import and color fill photos.

Pixeur is a color mapping program that lets you find the computer RGB and Hex values for any color on any image.

You can then plug this exact color into Paint.net and use it to color fill your new image. I used this to get values for Alexseal topside paints and epaint bottom paints. They are not perfect, but not too bad either. I think that a scanned image of their paint chart would be better than their online colors.

The only other thing I would add is that having white as a bottom paint choice does add some new possibilities. That is one of the nice things about epaint (http://www.epaint.com/). Although there may be other bottom paints with this option.

Cheers and happy coloring, Bill
Oscar

Post by Oscar »

And I would say that either of these two pictures. ........Should quickly bring him out of hiding.
I must re-emphasize that the lively green tri will never happen.....and that both pictures were just a hasty demonstration of technique........Image

Tim, in all seriousness, as it appears you have know-how and talents regarding the subject, what color WOULD you paint the floats and trim stripe on the cabin top of my tri, or is the very vessel not worthy of discussion?
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Oscar wrote:Tim, in all seriousness, as it appears you have know-how and talents regarding the subject, what color WOULD you paint the floats and trim stripe on the cabin top of my tri, or is the very vessel not worthy of discussion?
I don't know offhand what color I'd choose, but I think that the look and design of your trimaran nearly screams for something bold and different--have a little fun.

It depends on what colors you like and how crazy you want to be, but at a minimum I'd envision clean white with the color brought in through multiple stripes of interest. Bright colors are fun, but are too much in large areas.

Or, your tri might be a good candidate to bring in some yellow on the hulls, which you could get away with on that boat.

The nuke green is definitely a little much in entirety, but could be an interesting accent color. (A bit '80s, perhaps, but interesting anyway. Maybe.)

I'd go with multiple narrower stripes on your cabin, instead of the big wide stripe, personally. I'm not a big fan of wide striping, which is a very dated look to me and doesn't wear well.

Just ideas; I don't have a coalesced image in my head, but that's one direction I'd consider if it were me. You can't use a lot of colors on more "classic" boats, so to my way of thinking when one has a more radical boat, why not have fun with the color scheme?
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Re: color scheme of boot stripe and bottom

Post by Tim »

BALANCE wrote:This is not happening in the next few days but....

Hull is beige, current boot stripe is brown, bottom is blue - what's left of it. Sailcloth is brown. Bulwarks exterior are brown. Tim, I know you have deep felt opinions on all this.

At some point, I'd like to make the hull dark, either green or blue. In the meantime I was pondering a dark green bootstripe (I don't think this will be too weird with brown sailcloth). What color bottom would look good to a green boot stripe? Red seems to dark, teal doesn't seems right, nor does blue.

If I do change the color or the boot stripe, do I have to change the color of the bulwarks?
How soon do you anticipate being able to consider redoing the hull in the manner you really like?

I am not a big fan of brown, but given the overall look of your boat now, and the general mix of colors you have going on now, I'd suggest that you ought to leave well enough alone for the moment. The various shades of earth-toned colors work relatively well together, and as you mention, you can easily run into problems when trying to make a change to only one color of a whole color scheme.

But beyond that:

If you change the boottop, I believe the sheer strake (bulwarks) should be the same color.

The brown canvas might go with some other trim colors, but the whole package you have sort of works together, and I'd be wary of changing one thing without changing it all. (Yup, it's all connected, sorry!).

You need a contrast between the boottop color and the bottom color to give them some visual separation. With your boot butting up to the bottom paint, this limits your options with the color hull you have. Changing to green striping might be OK, but none of the bottom colors would look very good butting up directly to the boottop.

The only other interim option that occurs to me would be dark red (i.e. Claret) for your striping, sticking with the blue bottom that you have. The dark red would look better next to the blue bottom than green would and would have more contrast against it.

All in all, unless you're ready for a wholesale change, I might stick with what you have for now.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
BALANCE

Post by BALANCE »

yea, I s'pose you're right. Waiting for the if or when I change the topsides. I'm stuck with the brown ensemble. Not my fave either.

I think the boat could pull off a dark hull though, she has 'fullness' to spare!

So, Oscar, humor me....show me a or navy hull with with a white boot stripe and white bulwarks and a teal bottom? That's my favorite combo.
S/V BALANCE
Westsail32
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

Less is more.

It is what it is.

Orange is fast.
BALANCE

Post by BALANCE »

And good for the Coasties in the next perfect storm!
S/V BALANCE
Westsail32
LazyGuy
Boat Name: Paper Moon
Boat Type: Luders 33 (Allied Boat Co.)

Post by LazyGuy »

Sorry Fig,

You can paint EVERYTHING on a Westsail 32 orange and we are still talking sl.......o.........o........o.........o........w.. But very comfortable.

If you painted her orange, you would have to rename her Moxie.

Dennis
Cheers

Dennis
Luders 33 "Paper Moon" Hull No 16

Life is too short to own an ugly boat.
Oscar

Post by Oscar »

Excuse the crudeness.....to get it perfect would take a much higher resolution image and many hours.....

Oscar

Post by Oscar »

Orange is fast.
Yes it is! Image It's also VERY visible, from a helicopter, when it's upside down.....

I had an orange version of LKIV, seems to have fallen off my desk....
Jason K
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Rambunctious
Boat Type: J/30

Post by Jason K »

There's a green Westsail in my marina. I'll go take a few photos so you can get a feel for what it looks like. I think I would prefer green to blue on the Westsail hull. I'll post the photos in the next day or two.
- Jason King (formerly #218)
J/30 Rambunctious
http://www.rambunctiousracing.com
BALANCE

Post by BALANCE »

Oscar, thank you. Jason, I think you are right. I only know of one dark hulled WS - Galena, she's green and I like it. Do you know if they made it green or it came that way. Any and all pictures would be greatly appreciated, thank you. Every other seems to be white, not beige like mine. Dark is far saltier in my mind. The white sheer strake and the buff decks doesn't cut it, it would have to be buff to work, I'm thinkin'. Same with the green, or repaint the decks white- what the hey, all is fair in a dream!
S/V BALANCE
Westsail32
BALANCE

Re: color scheme of boot stripe and bottom

Post by BALANCE »

I'm going with Bristol Beige on the bulwarks and bringing the bottom paint (red) up to the water line. No boot stripe.

Decrevi!
S/V BALANCE
Westsail32