Boat photo project

Post photos and descriptions of your ongoing projects here. No project is too big or too small.
jeffwagnpete
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: Frogman
Boat Type: Pearson Ariel

Boat photo project

Post by jeffwagnpete »

Wow, just figured out how to adjust the size of photos. I can only have 3 downloads at a time on this forum, but here is my boat project. The blue tarp was completely ripped off due to 65 to 75 mile an hour winds we had last Sunday and Monday. Along with a weeks work of rain and I went to check on my boat on Thursday and there was 3 feet of water inside my boat. I was devastated to see this. I normally live onsight in that building behind my boat, but last week, I had to take shelter elsewhere due to the weather, I was devastated to see this. All hardware was off and I was not finished with the recoring of the top deck, I am recoring from the inside leaving the top skin in place, all is going fine until last week. When I was grinding, chipping and ripping away the all rotted balsa some very small areas were not rotted (about 5 inch spots were not rotted) but it still had to go, the whole deck needed a new core. So, as I was chipping away, I tore through the top skin leaving holes, oh well, can be fixed by fiberglass, so I cut my plywood patterns first, a nice pointed U shape and I matted the plywood really good and used lots of resin to stick above and used drywall screws to pinch the core and top skin together. Oh, I sprayfoamed the cavity right under the toerail before I put up the new plywood so it was air tight, too. After a week I used filler around the edges and made a nice curve with my finger so the matting and cloth would be applied nice. My plan this weekend was to matt and cloth the new backbone and a rib using oak 1x's and matt and cloth the edges completing core fitting, then adding layers of cloth to build up the glass on the deck. Instead, I was pumping out 3 feet of rain water out of my boat and wrapping tarp directly around the boat and wondering if all that hard work I had done is down the toilet. Since I was not done with glassing, the rain water was seeping into the open cavities. Do I have a disaster on my hands? Or does the show still go on? Now I have to figure out this shelter issue. Man, I have some problems I am facing right now, don't I? I actually had tears in my eyes yesterday? And I don't tear up that easy. Man o man!

Jeff
Attachments
SDC10594.JPG
SDC10594.JPG (47.38 KiB) Viewed 1335 times
SDC10591.JPG
SDC10591.JPG (49.7 KiB) Viewed 1339 times
SDC10589.JPG
SDC10589.JPG (46.36 KiB) Viewed 1332 times
Henk
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: Aurora
Boat Type: 1963 Islander 32

Re: Boat photo project

Post by Henk »

Not a nice day at all. A setback for sure but I don't think the end of the world. I understand that the plywood is still bare? Then I would think the moisture can still evaporate. I've got visions of roofers applying shingles on the plywood sheeting a day after it rained. The underside is exposed to the air in the attic and the wood will dry out and not rot.
This will slow you down somewhat, but it won't stop you.