Books on navigation

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Ryan
Skilled Systems Installer

Books on navigation

Post by Ryan »

Can anyone recommend books on sailing navigation? There are tons of them out there and I have a sneaking suspicion that someone here may have an opinion on which one(s) are best! Thanks.

Ryan
Eric
Almost a Finish Carpenter
Boat Name: Sophia
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Boater's Bowditch

Post by Eric »

I can highly recommend Boater's Bowditch, The Small-Craft American Practical Navigator, by Richard K. Hubbard, published by International Marine. [See on Amazon]

IMHO, it get the job done like no other single volume and is clear and very accessible.

-- Eric
Sophia, Triton #635
Robert The Gray
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Post by Robert The Gray »

It seems that with the availability of the gps, celestial navigation may go the way of sundial making, charming antiquities. So books that include celestial work may be thick with info that most of us do not need. I distinguish between ocean navigation and coastal piloting. The information in Herreshoff's The Complete Cruiser was extremely helpful with regards to piloting.
In the absence of gps and radar, I feel that skill in reading the chart, a good ability work with the compass rose, practice in taking bearings with a hand bearing compass, and some familiarity with basic distance estimation, should lead one to be able to find oneself without to much difficulty, unless, of course, it is a dark and stormy night and you have no accurate charts. In those situations I believe the old stand-bys of patience, prayer and sea room would serve.

r
Former Owner: Whisper, now Alma 1960 WC Triton
Whisper Projects
Daysailfilms
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

Herreshoff spelled it The Compleat Cruiser for some reason.

(just in case anyone wanted to google)
Robert The Gray

Post by Robert The Gray »

thanks figment.
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

Herreshoff spelled it The Compleat Cruiser for some reason.
Just a bit of useless information. Francis was copying the writing style of an earlier work entitled "The Compleat Angler" which was written in England back when that was the proper way to spell 'complete'.

-Britton
Mark.Wilme

Post by Mark.Wilme »

I like Calders book "How to read a Nautical chart" which incorporates Chart number 1. Great first few chapters.

Mark