Looking for a ladder that fits these mounts

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
A30_John
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Looking for a ladder that fits these mounts

Post by A30_John »

Does anyone know where I could buy a boarding ladder that uses these mounts that a previous owner installed on my boat? I haven't seen them before. My search has come up empty. Thanks!

John
Eric
Almost a Finish Carpenter
Boat Name: Sophia
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Eric »

They look mis-installed to me. West sells at least one ladder (I just received one as a gift) that uses these brackets, however they are installed oriented such that the large end of the slot is at the top.

It looks like the screw pattern is square--if so, it would be an easy matter to rotate them.

Sophia came with a pair of these installed, but the spacing doesn't accomodate my new ladder so I will have to move one of them. I'd be happy to measure the spacing required by the West ladder next time I'm aboard if that would help...

-- E
A30_John

Post by A30_John »

Eric, thanks for the info. If you could measure the ladder, I'd much appreciate it. The next time I'm out, I'll check the existing spacing. The orientation of the brackets baffled me also. It seems even if they were meant to be installed horizontally, one of the brackets would have to be turned around so the larger hole was oriented in the same with as the other brackets, otherwise I can't see how a ladder could be inserted. Vertical orientation seems the only sure way to go.

Do you like the West ladder?
John
Eric

Post by Eric »

Your brackets could be used by inserting one leg at a time and then centering , but there would always be the threat of sliding one way or the other when using. If this were prevented somehow (i.e., with lashings) then it might be more secure than the conventional approach which depends on gravity.

The West ladder is sturdily constructed of stainless and is not light. I have the four step version that looks just right for the Triton as the hinge will be just about at the water line, thus two full steps below. Folded, I have several convenient and seaworthy places to stow it.

I'm not wild about the look of the brackets on my topsides, but, I think I prefer them there rather than on my side decks (toe catchers). I like the security of a captured ladder and this one looks plenty strong enough for my 250# bulk. So yes, on balance I think I can say I like the solution for my situation.

I'll get that measurement this week...

-- E
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando

Post by Tim »

I also have a West Marine ladder that uses those same keyhole mounts, or very similar mounts. However, my ladder has a curved top that extends over the gunwale, so the brackets are installed on deck instead of on the topsides. I'm sure I have a picture somewhere, but I can never find photos of my ladder when someone asks, so I'm not even going to look at the moment.

My first thought was also that your brackets were mis-installed, as I'd expect the wide opening of the keyhole to be on the same side so that a ladder could be inserted and slid into the narrow part. I also think that vertical is the safest way, as once you've applied your weight to the ladder it can't come out of the brackets. It would be easy to have the thing slip side-to-side of the brackets are horizontal.

I like the ladder we have. It's good and strong, sturdy, and secure when in the mounts. We have a very long one and have 3 or 4 steps below the waterline when installed--very easy to use. The brackets are pretty low profile, and I haven't found them to be toe stubbers on the sidedeck. They're no taller, and more streamlined, than the genoa tracks, for example.

I stow the ladder strapped to the backstay when not in use (which is most of the time). The only change I'd make to my installation woudl be to have the opening lifeline gate in the same location as the ladder brackets; now, ours is in the non-opening part of the lifelines, which means you have to climb over. My gates are all the way aft, and I couldn't reach under the deck in this area to secure the ladder brackets, so I moved them forward to where I could. Compromises, always compromises!
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

Tim wrote:My gates are all the way aft, and I couldn't reach under the deck in this area to secure the ladder brackets, so I moved them forward to where I could. Compromises, always compromises!
pffffft. this smacks of laziness, if you ask me!

;)
A30_John

Post by A30_John »

Is this the ladder you're all talking about?

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/st ... tId=139820
John
Eric

Post by Eric »

Yup. I guess you missed the link I hid in my earlier post...
Eric wrote:Sophia came with a pair of these installed, but the spacing doesn't accomodate my new ladder so I will have to move one of them. I'd be happy to measure the spacing required by the West ladder next time I'm aboard if that would help...

-- E
Eric

Post by Eric »

I measure 13" on center +/- 1/8" for my ladder.

-- E
A30_John

Post by A30_John »

Thanks. I'm on my way to the boat now... I'll measure the sockets.
John
A30_John

Post by A30_John »

My measurement was 13" on center. Looks like a go.. I'll order the ladder. Thanks for your help.
John
A30_John

Post by A30_John »

Ladder ordered, delivered, and tested on boat. I think the sockets were actually intended to be installed as they are. You put one side of the ladder in first, slide it all the way over, install the other side, then slide the whole thing back into the center. The advantage of this is it won't ride up, and only one side of the ladder can come out if for any reason the ladder slips sideways. So far it has stayed in its center position without moving. If movement became an issue, it could be held in the centered position with lanyards. So far I'm a happy customer!
John