Fiberglass exhaust elbows.

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Dan H
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Fiberglass exhaust elbows.

Post by Dan H »

The wet exhaust hose on my boat is twisted all over the place. It has bends in every direction and I hate it. It?s like trying to wrestle and Anaconda in there. I wonder if it would be possible to make my own epoxy and fiberglass exhaust elbows? I can find 90 deg elbows in the size I need, (1 5/8?) but that?s it. I?m wondering how difficult it would be to make a few 45 deg elbows or a custom angle as required. I was thinking about some 1 or 2? wide strips of 17oz or so biax. wrapped around and around a form until is was what I needed. I haven?t figured out how to get the form out of the epoxy elbow just yet but I was thinking of using a piece of radiator hose for the form. Something cheap that I could slice and twist it out of the form. Just thinking aloud here. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Dan
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Dan,

I don't know how appropriate making your own exhaust elbows is, but as to getting the mold/form out of a fiberglass "hose" you've made, you can saw the whole works in half (length-wise), then take out the form, and then put the new piece back together and wrap it with more cloth.

To give proper credit: I got this idea from Charlie and Laura when they made new cockpit drains for their boat. They posted many pictorials when they were doing the rebuilding (before he joined here - they were on the Trailer Sailor board), so I picked up a number of ideas :-)

--- Rachel

PS: On that boat the drains go from the after end of the cockpit into a motorwell, so there are not the stress/movement problems you'd have doing that sort of thing with a Triton-style drain that goes from the cockpit sole to the hull.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

There may be specific requirements for the laminate in a fiberglass exhaust elbow--I have no idea, frankly. It's not a place I'd want to make a mistake, though.

The pre-made versions tend to look as if they use directional S-glass, a very strong product. I don't see any reason not to make your own, but they should be strong, if nothing else. And of course you can only use them in the water-filled portion of your exhaust outlet.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating