Forestay Fitting Ideas

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Bluenose
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Bolero
Boat Type: Modified Shields One Design

Forestay Fitting Ideas

Post by Bluenose »

Almost all of the deck fittings on Bolero need to be replaced. The current forestay fitting either needs to be completely replaced or rebuilt.

The original parts to rebuild, not included the housing cost $241 from the current builder, which seems quite pricey to me. I had great success buying parts from Marshall Marine (elliptical ports) so I am wondering if I should look for this fitting from some other boat manufacture. But I can find a source for this type of part anywhere. Every forestay or headstay fitting I can find online is for smaller boats.

If anyone has source a replacement headstay fitting or added a baby stay fitting I would really appreciate a recommendation.

Thanks
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

Now that you mention it... just what the heck is all of that anyway?

I get the below-deck part. Basically an inside-out stemstrap with a drag-link of sorts that connects to the deck fitting.

But what is actually the deck fitting? that half-toggle looking thing attached to the broken half of the drag-link? Is that meant to swivel or remain fixed? Is it like the top half of a turnbuckle?

Is that sculpted chrome deck fitting really a structural part of the whole deal, or is it more like a mast-boot?

It would be super cool to put back exactly what was there (but new) and retain that much more of the Shields foundation of the boat, but this could easily turn into that last 2% of perfection that consumes 98% of the effort.

I don't think the deck fitting needs to be much more than a pair of padeyes through-bolted back to back, then a turnbuckle below deck to transfer the tension to a fitting on the stem.

Now that I think about it, $241 isn't such a bad deal.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Figment wrote:...just what the heck is all of that anyway?
Here's how it was assembled on the boat.

---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
jollyboat
Boat Name: Jollyboat

Re: Forestay Fitting Ideas

Post by jollyboat »

Quote -"The original parts to rebuild, not included the housing cost $241 from the current builder, which seems quite pricey to me."

Given the extent of the Bolero project - $241.00 for the right parts for the right job do not seem too expensive to me. Unless this arrangment is not going to work in concern to the changes that are going to be applied to the boat - plug and play items like this save a ton of money and time.
Brian
Jollyboat, Triton #466
Sepi,Triton #346 (1st, Triton)

No Quarter
Bluenose
Boat Name: Bolero
Boat Type: Modified Shields One Design

Post by Bluenose »

Given the extent of the Bolero project - $241.00 for the right parts for the right job do not seem too expensive to me. Unless this arrangment is not going to work in concern to the changes that are going to be applied to the boat - plug and play items like this save a ton of money and time.
I know you are right about this. But having picked up all the component for a 4 to 1 Harken traveller system for about $350 this just seems steep. Maybe I just need a bit of time to get over it.

I will say that ordering parts from Marshal Marine was one of the nicest shopping experiences I have done in a while. Maybe after the Holidays I will be in a giving mood and send in the order.

Figment, I would still love those measurements for your boom kicker and vang set up. I have read where they recommend the vang be 25 to 33 percent of the boom length from the mast. Yours seems a bit closer. The dimension look like I could squeeze it onto Bolero.
jollyboat
Boat Name: Jollyboat

Post by jollyboat »

Seems to me if you find a good rigger who has a shop that the parts you have could be rebuilt for a little less - but then again it will be a time and material job so you are still facing down at least $65 dollars and hour plus material. Looks to me like an adjustable headstay arrangement could be installed without too much difficulty. I do not know what you plans are for the headsail though so I am way ahead of myself. I am confident that that guy, Tim, that you are working with will have some suggestions for you to consider <grins>.
Brian
Jollyboat, Triton #466
Sepi,Triton #346 (1st, Triton)

No Quarter
dmairspotter
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Wind Horse
Boat Type: 1974 Dufour 27

Post by dmairspotter »

Could just the U strap and the through the deck rusted thingy be fabbed up locally? Seems like the deck housing looks OK.
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

Right, boomkicker measurements, I forgot. PM me a reminder on saturday.

Offhand, I'd say that I'm well under the 25% mark. 25% of 13' is 39", and I'm not sure that the whole boomkicker is even that long.
deckhand
Rough Carpentry Apprentice

Post by deckhand »

sounds like a rip off for a couple of pieces of sheared and bent 12 guage stainless welded or bolted to piece of rod. A welder would probably charge you 10 bucks for that 1 weld if you came up with all the parts. That top piece looks like it could be reused.
Dave
T30 #164 "Hobyn"
www.dkyrejko.com/hobyn