Cabin Floor in a Tartan 30

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
johnman135
Bottom Sanding Grunt

Cabin Floor in a Tartan 30

Post by johnman135 »

The cabin floor of my T30 is a thin wood veneer glued to the gelcoat floor below. The veneer has started to curl up and come unglued from the sole, any suggestions what to use to glue it back down? Is 5200 the wrong choice?
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

I'm a little confused. One would not normally see veneer only applied directly to a fiberglass subsole. When you say the thin veneer is curling up and coming unglued from the sole, what is the thickness we're talking about? Is your teak veneer applied to some thin plywood, which is then coming unglued? Or is it really just a veneer secured directly to the fiberglass?
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
johnman135
Bottom Sanding Grunt

Post by johnman135 »

I can't figure out how to upload an image, I took a photo. Basically, there's a 1/8" thick layer of teak? glued to the fiberglass pan below. If you can give me a hint how to insert an image....[/img]
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

jm,

The image has to be "hosted" somewhere on the web; that is, it can't come right from your hard drive, but has to be on some kind of a web page or photo hosting site.

Once you get it on the web, go to it and get it on the screen in a window (the regular sized photo, not the thumbnail), and then right-click (or whatever does that function on your computer) and you'll see "properties" in the list that pops up. Click on "properties" and there will be some kind of web address that ends in an image type (like .jpg or .gif). Copy and paste that line into the message box here, then highlight it (select it) and go up and click on "Img" in the little menu just above the message box. Check that the two Img tags and the text you pasted in are on the same line.

Then click "preview" and you can see how it will look as a post - so if it's not showing up properly you can try again. Then "submit."

(There may be more direct ways to do this from some image hosting sites, but I think this way should work for most situations.)
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Please see this thread (link) for detailed instructions on posting your photos.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
johnman135
Bottom Sanding Grunt

Post by johnman135 »

Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Here you go. I just removed the characters after the final ".jpg"

You can test your photo posts by hitting "preview" to see if they show up properly.

R.

deckhand
Rough Carpentry Apprentice

Post by deckhand »

Another t-30! Thought I was the only one. You're lucky about the sole, I have the nasty looking cork version (not that it matters, the whole sole is getting cut out this summer)

I'd clean it out really well and stick it back down with slightly thickened epoxy (after painting the veneer with unthickened) and lots and lots of weight (bags of sand work pretty well).

What year is your T-30?
Dave
T30 #164 "Hobyn"
www.dkyrejko.com/hobyn
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Dave,

I enjoyed following your web page (that's linked at the bottom of your posts) last year, but since you've popped 'round again this spring I haven't been able to get to it. Is there a new link -- or is it just my computer?

How are things with Hobyn?

Rachel
johnman135
Bottom Sanding Grunt

1977 t 30

Post by johnman135 »

Dave - So use epoxy, not 5200? What brand/type?

Thanks for the help with the picture , Rachael!
deckhand
Rough Carpentry Apprentice

Post by deckhand »

Rachel - I had to put the project on hold and face the mighty $ (working during the winter). Luckily the time has come to get back to the project. I'm going to see Hobyn this weekend for the first time since November! Expect to see updates very soon. The link and site are working fine, maybe you have an old book mark? Might be time for a redesign of the site too...

Johnman135- you can use any type of epoxy, there a lots ( and lots and lots ) of good examples of epoxy being used for just about everything on this site. I buy from UScomposites , good cheap epoxy with reliable results. Great prices on fillers to.
Dave
T30 #164 "Hobyn"
www.dkyrejko.com/hobyn
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Dave,

I understand the "working therefore not working on the boat" problem all too well. Glad you're getting back to it now.

When I click on the link at the bottom of your post, I get "Problem loading page." I've tried it from two computers, but they are both using the same satellite Internet service, so it could still just be me. Can someone else try it and report back?

R.
feetup
Almost a Finish Carpenter

Post by feetup »

Rachel;

It comes right up for me, so it could be your provider.

Tim J