Mast step question

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
galleywench
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: TBD
Boat Type: Rhodes 19

Mast step question

Post by galleywench »

Hi all, I've been following this forum for some time and have been messing about in old boats for as long as I can remember. I own a 1962 Alberg 35 that I have neglected for far too long (sailing is more fun than grinding).
The list of things to do is long, but for the upcoming year I really need to recore the decks, replace rigging, barrier coat the hull, and if time permits, replace the wheel with original tiller (I much prefer the feedback of a tiller).

So here is my question (probably the first of many): The beam under the mast step appears to be in good shape, but the deck is somewhat soft surrounding it. Does anyone know whether the mast step is sitting on cored material (between the aluminum step and the beam) or would it be on solid glass? Also, is there anything I can look for to diagnose any possible structural issues?

Thanks in advance,
-matt
Ric in Richmond
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Andiamo
Boat Type: Alberg 35

Post by Ric in Richmond »

Matt,

Welcome to the forum!!

I have an Alberg 35 as well.

I don't know if there is core in that area. I would guess not....but am clueless so take that for what it is worth!!!

It does look like mine may have been repaired at some point in time though based on non skid appearance.
Ric Bergstrom

http://andiamoadventures.blogspot.com/

Archived old blog:

http://andiamo35.blogspot.com/

~~~~~([\~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~
~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
galleywench

Post by galleywench »

Thanks Ric, I hope your right, but I will find out this spring when I open up the decks (it's not gonna be pretty). I haven't seen any evidence of deflection in the cabin top with the mast up or under load while sailing, but there is some crazing/cracking in the area, so I can't say for sure.

By the way, what year/hull# is your Alberg? Mine is an oldie (hull #16).
Ric in Richmond
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Andiamo
Boat Type: Alberg 35

Post by Ric in Richmond »

I have an oldie too!

1962. No idea the hull number. Have searched high and low!!!!

Ever find it someshere besides the builders plate?

You can see some pics in the blog on my sig.
Ric Bergstrom

http://andiamoadventures.blogspot.com/

Archived old blog:

http://andiamo35.blogspot.com/

~~~~~([\~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~
~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
David

Post by David »

If you haven't already, remove the drawers look on the bottoms, as well as the inside or hidden sides of other woodworking pieces. Builders sometimes put the hull number on those pieces that were gang cut or gang built. I already knew my hull number, but when I removed some old mahogany trim on a bulkhead, I found those pieces were all numbered.

David
galleywench

Post by galleywench »

Ric in Richmond wrote:I have an oldie too!

1962. No idea the hull number. Have searched high and low!!!!

Ever find it someshere besides the builders plate?

You can see some pics in the blog on my sig.
I've owned the boat since 2000 and have never found signs other than on the builders plate, but to be honest I haven't looked on the bottoms of the original drawers.

There was a 1961 hull #11 (I think that was the number) a few months back, so my #16 must have been an early '62. I'm not sure how many were built that year but I'm sure you could narrow it down to <75 or so. Not that important, but fun to find out.