Raycor filter maintenance

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Marshall Wright
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: s/v Sunset
Boat Type: Pacific Seacraft 25T

Raycor filter maintenance

Post by Marshall Wright »

Greetings,

Perhaps a silly question?
I changed out the filter in my older model raycor for the first time over the weekend since buying the boat. Very dirty.

Here's my question. Before unclamping the clamp that holds the top in place, I unscrewed the drain in the bottom of the bowl. Nothing dribbled out. Due to a vacuum because the top was tight?

Is the proper sequence to unclamp the top and then bleed off some fuel (and whatever water might have accumilated?) from the bottom screw valve?

Thanks in advance.

Marshall
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

No vacuum is going to keep the fuel in with the drain plug out.

Maybe plugged? or maybe I am not familiar with the style of filter you are talking about.

I might just put a bucket/milkjug/whatever around the filter and unscrew the whole thing.

Is this for diesel or gasoline?
-Britton
Work is overrated.

Most everything you read on the Internet is wrong.

The Website
The Blog
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Quetzal
Boat Type: LeComte North East 38

Post by Quetzalsailor »

I know I know! Call on me!

Mine was the same and the bottom of the bowl was so foul that the drain could not function. Take it apart and clean it. You'll be amazed.

If it's a 500, you'll lower the level enough when you remove the filter element to not make nearly the mess you fear.
Adam
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: Tinker
Boat Type: Marshall 22

Post by Adam »

Well, one, don't even bother with the little screw drain at the bottom of the bowl. Take it from me, after running offshore fishing boats for 20+ years, I have a "special" relationship with Racor – usually with cursing and kicking things, followed by a call to Sea tow or Boat US….. If you’re getting junk or lots of water in the filter - replace the filter. Junk could be stuff in the tank - or the rubber fuel line could be starting to fall apart - in either case you'll need to address these issues first. Also, once water gets in the filter, the filter starts to get fouled permanently - no matter how much draining off the bowl. It may take several filters BTW to filter off the water as well.

Of course sailboats don't run engines like a power boat, but I replace mine once or twice a season (depending on use hours), and carry at least one spare. Too many 30+ mile tows in my time....

One last thing - if the bowl is the clear or other plastic kind - replace it immediately with the metal or glass type - or replace with a non-bowl filter. Lots of fuel leaks in the bilge from age cracks with plastic...Boom!

One last thing ^2 - I probably don't need to mention this but most, if not all of these bowl screws are "opposite" threads - IE to drain you screw in, to seal you screw out....