Anyone have drawings of Pearson Renegade keel & Ballast?

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Polecat

Anyone have drawings of Pearson Renegade keel & Ballast?

Post by Polecat »

I need to know what is where before delving into a possible problem. PO had mentioned that he had touched a rock coming in to his slip once and had a "professional" repair a small leak into the bilge. It's not leaking but it looks like bondo on the repair area -
jim
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

I don't know of any detailed drawing of the keel. What exactly are you looking to find in a drawing?

The keel is a hallow fiberglass shell, an extension if you will of the hull. Into it was placed a precast lead ballast shaped to fit in the forward portion of this keel cavity. The lead was then glassed in to prevent it from moving. The aft portion of the keel cavity, sometimes called the false keel was left open to the bilge creating a nice sump well.

If you look into the bilge/keel cavity though the access opening at the foot of the companionway ladder you can see the step that is the top of the lead (glassed over) and the sump or false keel area. With a little imagination and measuring, these locations can be relatively well transferred to the exterior. Would this give you the info you are looking for?

The use of a filler as part of the repair to a damaged keel is not necessarily bad. If filler only was the repair to a leak caused by grounding, then that was most likely a poor, even criminal solution. If you are concerned with the previous repair, the only real solution is to grind it back and see what is there. If the "bondo" is just a thin coating used to fair out the repair, then just replace it. If it is thick, then make it all go away, grind to an appropriate bevel, and reglass.

Hope this info helps. And remember, pictures are allowed.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Hirilondë wrote: And remember, pictures are allowed.
Nay, required. ;)

R.
Polecat

I'll dope out the new info and get pictures tomorrow -

Post by Polecat »

I've owned the boat since last august and am now just getting to work on it full time --- if I could just get some good weather, about all I've done on it so far is count her warts & problems. One good thing - the beer stays cold without carrying ice
jim
Polecat

Sorry - can't figure how to get the pictures up

Post by Polecat »

Thanks for the info Dave -- was able to figure out where the ballast area is with your help. There are 2 vertical breaks about 5" long about 10" up in the ballast area. No glass was used - they just wiped on some bondo. Will be easy to fix though. I have some good pictures with the outline of the ballast area taped off if anyone needs them
jim
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane

Post by Hirilondë »

Hmm, I can't see any pictures. ;>)

Glad I was able to help. Good luck with the repair
Dave Finnegan
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
s/v Groovy
Master Varnisher

Post by s/v Groovy »

I have a PDF of an old Renegade Ad, doesn't show the keel detail but shows configuration of the dinette model.

can I post a PDF?
Gregg
Pearson Renegade #145
Ceasar Choppy
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist

Post by Ceasar Choppy »

Polecat

Renegade

Post by Polecat »

Thanks CC - Glad to see exactly whats in there.

Dave - Tim is working on a set of picture instructions so simple that even I can get them on.

Groovy - Need to ask Tim about the PDF thing - do you have a renegade?
I haven't even sailed mine yet have a couple hundred hours in it mostly feet propped up & calculating how to make her shine...
jim
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane

Post by Hirilondë »

In case you didn't know yet, Caesar Choppy is the former owner of Renegade #3 "Athene" and the administrator of http://www.renegade27.org/ and an e-mail group of Renegade owners. Both Groovy and I are members of the e-mail group and have registered our boats on his web site. You definitely want to come here for technical advice, but may want to join the e-mail group to get in touch with more fellow Renegade owners. I'm sure Caesar will be glad to give you more info.

Seems you have found the needed resources to fully evaluate your damage and make the repair. My best to you with the project, and remember: you are allowed to post pictures before, during and after the work. I know at least a couple of the members here like to look at them.
Dave Finnegan
Ceasar Choppy
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist

Post by Ceasar Choppy »

Thanks Dave... I thought polecat was already on the list, but perhaps not.

Polecat: Please send me a private message through this web site with your name and e-mail address and I'll hook you up.
forrest
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: Ophelia
Boat Type: Pearson Renegade

Post by forrest »

Wow, how about that angle iron holding the works together. That's pretty interesting, I would not have imagined that lurked inside my hull...
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

I couldn't competely understand what was going on in those photos. Were the angles something that was added to "stabilize" a repair, I wonder? Or are they part of the build that was uncovered while grinding away some problem areas?

If boats could talk...

Rachel
s/v Groovy
Master Varnisher

Post by s/v Groovy »

Groovy - Need to ask Tim about the PDF thing - do you have a renegade?
sure do....

if you want the advertisement PDF just PM me your e-mail.
Gregg
Pearson Renegade #145