Electrical Question - Bilge Blower Wiring

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Dan H
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Electrical Question - Bilge Blower Wiring

Post by Dan H »

On my boat, I have re-installed the saildrive engine. I was not planning on installing a starting battery, it's only 15hp. The more I think about it, the better things would be with one. The main reason is because the engines electrical system is already factory wired to use it's own battery. The house bank can be completely separate. The starting battery will be charged from the small internal engine charger (3amp) and the house batteries will be charged from belt driven alternator (35 amp). This gives me two completely separate systems.

The starting battery, and it's isolation switch, will be located inside the engine compartment. This way, I have to open the engine compartment before energizing that electrical system. The house system has the standard 1-2-BOTH disconnect switch that can be accessed from inside the cabin. If the blower is wired from the house bank, I could run the blower before energizing the engines electrical system.

The question is, which electrical system should the bilge blower be supplied from, the house batteries or the starting battery?
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

I'd run it off the house bank. This keeps your engine system completely separate and just for engine cranking.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

Interestingly, I chose the opposite argument. I chose to put the blower on the engine electrical system. If the house bank is dead then I can still run the blower and start the engine. If the engine electrical system is run down to where I can't run the blower then I won't be able to operate the engine starter anyway. You could start the engine and with the alternator producing power then run the blower but I am pretty fanatical about running the blower prior to engine start.

The need to factor this into the electrical system is pretty limited I think. The chances of running the house bank down so low that the blower won't work is pretty remote. A more likely scenario is that there is a fault in the house system the shuts down everything on the house system and prevents the blower from working at all.

Ultimately, either way probably works fine. In both installations, a set of jumper cables between the battery banks will cure most anything.

-Britton
wstokes
Bottom Paint Application Technician

Post by wstokes »

I would agree with Tim, it should be run from the house system. In any case you should probably look at replacing the battery switch with a parallel mini switch like the one Blue Sea sells. I am replacing my basic battery switch this year as it was the partially the blame for frying my handheld GPS this past year. As well this type of switch allows you to connect the house with the engine system if needed to in an emergency.
Ronbye
A30_John
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Post by A30_John »

I am replacing my basic battery switch this year as it was the partially the blame for frying my handheld GPS this past year.
How so?
John
wstokes
Bottom Paint Application Technician

Post by wstokes »

How so?
When crossing Trinity Bay last summer I realized that I had forgot to switch from my starting battery (No.1) to my house battery (No.2) after about 2 hours sailing. I was using my radar and my handheld GPS (Eagle Explorer) was plugged in to my 12volt outlet. So I reached into the boat and switch from No.1 position to No. 2. The voltage drop as the switch was being used and the GPS could not handle the voltage drop and then died. A couple of months later the Eagle Explorer dealer next to my place of work told me that the older Eagle Explorer models could not handle varying levels of voltage. This has since been corrected with the newer models.
Ronbye
Shark
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Scoot
Boat Type: Shark 24

Bilge Blower

Post by Shark »

Two years ago I witnessed a runabout with an inboard engine explode and burn only a few yards away from the gas dock. The driver escaped with his life, just, and the boat was a write off. It took a very long time to extinguish the fire. Portable extiguishers were inadequate and only a tug with a water canon finally brought it under control!

It was an memorable illustration of how dangerous gasoline fumes can be.

Lyman
Dan H
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by Dan H »

That's why it is so important for me to get it right. My wife gets very sick in just a few seconds being around diesel so there won't be any of those in my future, unfortunately.
Thanks for the replies,
Dan
Curmudgeon
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by Curmudgeon »

My wife gets very sick in just a few seconds being around diesel so there won't be any of those in my future
Hehe, I'm assuming you mean there won't be any DIESEL in your future, and not the other way around. You never know.... some people are really attached to their diesels.