Triton main halyard

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Triton main halyard

Post by Figment »

It would seem that my main halyard evaporated over the winter.

Any reccommendations on line type and size? how about the terminal fitting?

Length?
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

I used (I think) 7/16" Sta-Set for the halyard. I put on a hefty screw-type halyard shackle like this one.

Ronstan Headboard Shackle
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
D. Fox

halyard replacement

Post by D. Fox »

Mine is 7/16" also.

Let me ask a related question...I want to convert the wire/rope halyards to all-rope on my B27. Anyone have any idea as to whether I'd need to replace the sheaves? I asked the Bristol list and gotten different answers...

I don't see why they would need to be replaced as both wire and rope runs through them in the current setup. Would you need to replace the sheaves on a Triton?
Tim

Post by Tim »

I did not replace my sheave when I went to all line. Technically, these sheaves are designed to properly cradle a thin wire when the sail is raised--they have a deep V shape to accommodate the wire. But it seems to work fine for the line, too. It's not like the line ends up jammed in the groove or anything. In fact, the groove is slight enough that it is relatively insignificant. This is the second old Pearson now that I've replaced the old wire/rope. No trouble to date.

If you were crossing an ocean or something, a more specifically-designed sheave might be prudent. For the way we're all using our boats, it's not necessary, and this topic is one of those silly things that people love to argue and opine about, but that makes no practical difference in the real world.

Is it technically better to use a sheave designed perfectly for the line size you have? Of course. That doesn't mean you have to go to the trouble of doing it "just because".
Figment

Post by Figment »

While speaking of sheaves.... Do you guys lubricate your masthead sheaves?
Tim

Post by Tim »

Kind of personal, don't you think? ;-}

But no.
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Post by dasein668 »

I have not, yet, lubed my masthead sheaves.
Figment

Post by Figment »

overthinking again;

Ok, I got a little bored last night. It's rerun season after all. My new main halyard line and shackle had arrived, so I decided to see if I could remember how to lay a splice....

After I'd tapered it out, it's a good 7 inches or so between the bolt of the shackle and the point where the line returns to normal size. Is this going to be a problem, getting jammed in the masthead sheave? Should I have just tied a stinkin bowline?

Background on stupid question: It's been a few years since I've dealt with a "normal" boat like this. My mind may still be in the beach-cat rut, where the halyard shackle has to go all the way to the very top of the mast and engage a hook.
Tim

Post by Tim »

Figment wrote:Is this going to be a problem, getting jammed in the masthead sheave?
Well, there's a pretty easy way to find out for your specific setup.

Your main will only be raised as high as the black band near the mast head (assuming you have the band, or the remnants thereof, still on the mast). So, with the mast still on the ground, if you run your halyard through the sheave, and keep the shackle down so that the pin is, say, 3/8" below that black band (to simulate the depth of the grommet or headboard on your sail), you should be able to see how that splice lines up. Typically, there are a few inches between the top of the sail and the top of the sheave.

But given the width of the splice, there is a chance that you could have a problem. I think if it ends up that only the top half or so of the splice is inside the sheave, you should be fine. And even the thicker part might be OK.

My halyard shackle is tied with a bowline that extends probably 1-2" above the top of the shackle. No problems. Less elegant than a nice double braid splice would be, for sure. But easy! Easy to end-for-end the halyard after a few years too.