Winch Salvage

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Jason K
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Rambunctious
Boat Type: J/30

Winch Salvage

Post by Jason K »

My winches sank and were submerged for at least a month, and have had several weeks of drying out with no treatment. While it sucks that they were in my guest bedroom at the time :) , it does pose a question.

Are they salvageable? I haven't found them yet and I'm wondering if they are worth looking for. I know they are not that mechanically complex, but I wondered what effect their harsh treatment would have on them. It would be similar to salvaged winches from a boat that went under.
- Jason King (formerly #218)
J/30 Rambunctious
http://www.rambunctiousracing.com
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

If you find them, it's certainly worth salvaging them. Most of the internal parts are bronze, stainless, or plastic, and if things are gunked up a good soak in some diesel fuel or kerosene should take care of almost anything. I'm sure there are winches that have been through a lot worse.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Invitation
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by Invitation »

Your winches should be fine. Take them apart, clean them, lube them and put them back together.
Harry James
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by Harry James »

Along the line of salvaged winches, there should be a lot available coming out of the Katrina impact area. Jason, you have any contacts for this?

HJ
Jason K

Post by Jason K »

Along the line of salvaged winches, there should be a lot available coming out of the Katrina impact area
I'm pursuing that now, as a matter of fact. The problem here is that the flooding of almost the entire city has really had a significant effect - considerably worse than when a hurricane blows through and the waters recede. People have been displaced for so long they are either in no hurry to come back, or aren't coming back at all. That, coupled with city management, has led to many unanswered questions and frustrations regarding salvage operations. The salvage contract went to a company called New Orleans Iron Works, who aren't well versed in marine salvage or maritime law. Its hard enough to find an insurance adjustor to talk to - much less find out anything definitive. I've tried contacting multiple insurers to discuss part salvage.

Additionaly, those that are uninsured are almost impossible to locate. Most people lost their homes, so any phone number looked up probably won't be valid and the harbor master and marina personnel haven't been seen since the storm, at least by me. There is some activity on craigslist.com but I don't think they're meeting with much success either.

I found a Triton (I think, more on that in a future post) and left a note for the owner - no word yet, but my fingers are crossed.. there's too much good Triton stuff to just go to the chainsaw.

The opportunites will be there, but as of now the city is still reeling from the blow and very little progress has been made. Most people still can't get to their boats at all, without considerable risk. To get to mine, for instance, I have to either crawl through the shell of a boathouse stepping on the few remaining supports or climb over a stack of boats.

That said, yacht club activity has really started to pick up, so I should be able to find something. In fact, tonight's race is just up the street from my office at Bruno's Bar...
I'm sure there are winches that have been through a lot worse.
I doubt it. :) Besides, I still can't find the darn things.
J/30 Rambunctious
Jason K

Post by Jason K »

OK, I found the winches. Uggh, no fun there. Here are a couple shots:

I have a general idea of how to refurbish them. I'm a little intimidated by the springs and pawls, but I doubt the project will be as bad as I am making it out to be. The plan is disassemble and refurb one winch at a time. I'll start by soaking the parts in either diesel or mineral spirits, rinsing them thoroughly, oiling the springs and pawls, and greasing the shaft and gears. Any steps missing here? Advice?

Also, what type of oil and grease should I use? There are no chandleries in New Orleans now, so I'm left with auto stores, Home Depot, and Lowes. I could order online if the stuff should be specifically marine, but shipping is a pain.
J/30 Rambunctious
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

It sounds like you have a good plan for recovering your winches. Before I took my winches apart I had heard they could be difficult. They are not. At least the ones on Tritons. Very basic construction inside. The springs and pawls were simple and rather crudely built actually.

I didn' bother with any oil. I think boat trailer grease works fine. It is water resistant and lasts a long time.

-Britton
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Use a lightweight lubricant on the bearings and gears. Heavy stuff will just gum up over time, and is a poor choice. In any event, you need very little. A light coating of whatever you use is fine. I'm not that familiar with trailer axle bearing grease, but if it's fairly lightweight, it should be OK. Worst case is that the winches will need attention sooner than later. Don't grease the pawls or springs; use a light oil, if anything.

Cleaning and relubricating the winches is easy. Just watch it when you take them apart, in case the pawls or pawl springs want to fly away. It's annoying to have to replace these. Otherwise, it couldn't be easier.

Note that the end of one of your winch handles will fit that wide slot in the screw that holds the winch drum onto the base. Otherwise, you can use a screwdriver to turn the big screw.

Diesel fuel or kerosene are the best solvents for cleaning the parts, and also have some residual lubrication properties.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

Use a lightweight lubricant on the bearings and gears. Heavy stuff will just gum up over time, and is a poor choice.
There you go then. I just figured nothing lives a tougher life than boat trailer bearings. I will just have to monitor my winches and see how long they go for. I did notice that they got easier and easier as my summer sailing season went on. I avoided oil because I figured it would never stand up to the inevitable water entry. I suppose if you do the right thing and service them yearly then most anything would work.

-Britton
windrose
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Post by windrose »

I just kept applying a little PB Blaster each day until the big screw in the top easily unscrewed with the winch handle. One of my pawl springs was broken so I fashioned one out of a heavy duty clothes pin and I was going to buy some spring wire later. The "clothes pin" spring worked all season long so....

http://www.kodakgallery.com/PhotoView.j ... derid=2004
Ric in Richmond
Boat Name: Andiamo
Boat Type: Alberg 35

Post by Ric in Richmond »

Other easy to get waterproof grease is Mercuriser gear lube or its generic equivalent.

Should be easy to find something like that...

How is Hurricane rebuilding going?
Ric Bergstrom

http://andiamoadventures.blogspot.com/

Archived old blog:

http://andiamo35.blogspot.com/

~~~~~([\~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~
~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

One of the best pieces of advice I've ever heard:
Before disassembling a winch, place it in a cardboard box that's at least twice as deep as the winch is tall.
You'll spend less time combing the floor for parts that went a-flying.

Keep on truckin'
CharlieJ
Wood Whisperer

Post by CharlieJ »

While we are on the subject of those type winches- does any one have a picture of one of the winch handles? Or can you tell me where to GET a winch handle for them?

I have two of those winches, in aluminum, but no handle at all.
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

I think the guys at Taylor and Snediker were planning on selling replicas when I asked them last year. I haven't followed up, though...

www.lvjwinchesusa.com

They're sure to be pricey, but Christmas is right around the corner.

I see them on ebay and in consignment shops all the time, but that takes more patience.
windrose
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Post by windrose »

Charlie, there is a used place here in Annapolis that always has the handles and winches in stock. Let me find the link for you. Here is the link to their site. The handles are generally like $25 for the smaller ones and $45 for the larger size.

http://www.baconsails.com/
tikvah59
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Emily Hope
Boat Type: Nimble 30' yawl

Post by tikvah59 »

CharlieJ wrote:While we are on the subject of those type winches- does any one have a picture of one of the winch handles? Or can you tell me where to GET a winch handle for them?

I have two of those winches, in aluminum, but no handle at all.
Charile,

I think I have a winch handle for one of those. It came with my boat. If you're interested I'll dig it out. Let me know.
Emily Hope
Nimble 30' yawl
CharlieJ
Wood Whisperer

Post by CharlieJ »

Mark- Thanks. I have these two large aluminum winches like that. I'm not using them at the moment and have no plans to do so soon, BUT I'd really like to have at least ONE handle to fit them, should I decide to use them later ( or sell them).

I'll try to find some on the market- keep yours for someone who needs it NOW, unless you just HAVE to clean out the space.
Jason K

Post by Jason K »

Well, that wasn't so bad. I simply disassembled the winches and soaked them overnight in diesel. This morning, I cleaned them up with some wire brushes, a toothbrush, and some sandpaper to remove the tarnish and old grease. Then I lightly oiled the pawls, lightly greased the shaft, and reassembled.

These Southcoast winches are ridiculously simple. Here is a during and after shot to go with the before shots above:

Image[/img]
Last edited by Jason K on Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
J/30 Rambunctious
heartofgold
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by heartofgold »

Sweeeet! I am glad to hear that it turned more easily than you expected. Nicely done.
Doug
http://heartofgoldsails.com
"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears or the sea."
Karen Blixen