Atomic 4 thermostat

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Scott
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Atomic 4 thermostat

Post by Scott »

Anyone know where I could pick up a thermostat for an A4 which is in a boat I am selling? A used one (working of course!) would suit the bill. I know these things can be expensive!!
Scott
Have recently purchased Pearson Triton which I will be restoring over the coming months/years!
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

I'd start the search at moyermarine.com, but I'm not sure that he ships to canada. Featherman would be next, followed by Torresen.

used thermostat? man even I'm not that cheap. It should be less than $20US including shipping.
Jason K
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Rambunctious
Boat Type: J/30

Post by Jason K »

Be sure you order the right thermostat, as early model and late model A4's use different ones. Actually, some early A4's don't have thermostats.
- Jason King (formerly #218)
J/30 Rambunctious
http://www.rambunctiousracing.com
jollyboat
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Jollyboat
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by jollyboat »

If you still have the thermostat that now needs replacing you might also try a good auto parts store to see if they have a match or cross match. Otherwise Figments suggestions are good ones. Shipping to Canada from the States is not that big of deal so I would be surprised if that is an issue. In my Atomic Four days I was able to get everything on the basic needs list for my A-4 at an AP store for much less than any marine related source. (Now I am sounding like Don Casey)
Brian
Jollyboat, Triton #466
Sepi,Triton #346 (1st, Triton)

No Quarter
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

From what I understand, some Atomic Fours use a rather expensive thermostat (~$140). I'm guessing that's what you've run into (see, he's not THAT cheap).

Moyer Marine makes a housing for those that allows a "normally-priced" thermostat to be used. Details are here (scroll down the page):

http://tinyurl.com/yffh9r
Scott
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by Scott »

A thremostat from Moyer is $142.13 plus shipping to Canada. I'm probably looking at close to $175.00 I admit I'm cheap, but that sounds a little much for a thermostat!! Has anyone out there with an Atomic 4 ever purchased a replacement from a local auto parts dealer, if so how did you make out with it and where did you get it? I figured that with the raw salt water cooling system, the A4 required one especially made for that type of service. Yes, I am cheap, but not easy!!
Have recently purchased Pearson Triton which I will be restoring over the coming months/years!
Jason K
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Rambunctious
Boat Type: J/30

Post by Jason K »

A thremostat from Moyer is $142.13 plus shipping to Canada
Before spending that money on that thermostat, spend a little bit less and get the newer conversion kit. Once you install that, you'll be able to use the much cheaper (but larger) thermostats.
I figured that with the raw salt water cooling system, the A4 required one especially made for that type of service.
\

It's a size issue rather than a saltwater one. However, because your engine is saltwater cooled, it will be more prone to accumulated sedimentary deposits from the water. Acid flush the engine every 2 or 3 years.

As for the thermostat in salt water - you should be fine if you soak it overnight in vinegar once a year.
- Jason King (formerly #218)
J/30 Rambunctious
http://www.rambunctiousracing.com
Scott
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by Scott »

Thanks to all who responded! I never realized that Moyer sold a conversion kit. Sounds like the way to go. Thanks Jason
Scott