Battery box - ABYC ?

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Mark.Wilme
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Battery box - ABYC ?

Post by Mark.Wilme »

I just collected my new T105's and it seems that they are a fraction larger than I had calculated from the specs. I don't think I will be able to use the exisitng off the shelf box I have and will need to make a custom box (I have the physical space for it).

I was going to build a plywood / epoxy box with a hinged lid, with integral hold downs and battery cable entry/exit points and then paint with bilgekote. Is this OK from a ABYC perspective ? Anything else here I should know about ?

Mark.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

The important aspects of battery storage are:

1. That the battery is secured against movement of more than 1" in any direction

2. That there is proper ventilation available

3. That the positive terminals are protected from accidental conductive contact. This can be accomplished with individual rubber boots, or a vented c over over the entire battery box.

Home-built boxes are fine as long as they meet these basic standards.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Ceasar Choppy
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist

Post by Ceasar Choppy »

Take a look at Nigel Caulder's Boatowners Mechanical and Electrical Guide. He shows how to build a battery box to ABYC and other specs.

Those T-105s: are they the wet cells or AGM? You can get away with less if they are AGM since they won't off-gas as much.
Mark.Wilme
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Post by Mark.Wilme »

Ceasar Choppy wrote:Those T-105s: are they the wet cells or AGM? You can get away with less if they are AGM since they won't off-gas as much.
Wet cells - my charger isn't set up for AGM charging and I stuck with wet cells for reasons I thought I covered in a post a ways back.

Thanks for your responses, always good to check.