Installing new traveler track

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
A30_John
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Installing new traveler track

Post by A30_John »

I'm getting ready to install my new Garhauer MT1 traveler. Garhauer prebent the track to fit my deck and it fits very well. I'm wondering if I should put anything other than sealant between the track and the fiberglass. The previous track had a strip of 1/4" plywood between it and the fiberglass.
John
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Post by dasein668 »

If you have a good fit, I would just use sealant, myself. I had to build a fairing block since I didn't get mine built, but otherwise I wouldn't have used any wood.

I think you'll like that Garhauer traveller. They build nice hardware!
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

I see no reason to use wood between the hardware and the deck, assuming you don't need a fairing block.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Quetzal
Boat Type: LeComte North East 38

Post by Quetzalsailor »

The only reason to use wood is the sex appeal. In which case, you'd use enough teak to be worth the visual, and then you'd get to maintain it. The old/original 1/4" plywood sounds like a waste.
A30_John

Post by A30_John »

Excellent, thanks. It's a very nice piece of gear - I'm impressed with the quality of construction. I'm looking forward to trying it out soon.
Last edited by A30_John on Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John
A30_John

Post by A30_John »

The old/original 1/4" plywood sounds like a waste.
I thought that as well. The old track was flexible enough to make the bend without difficulty and wasn't used for fairing purposes. I couldn't figure out why they used it unless it was to protect the gelcoat or some such reason.
John
AJ
Almost a Finish Carpenter

Post by AJ »

Be sure to post pictures of your new setup, John!

This thread reminded me of a few questions I've been meaning to ask about traveler installation. When you mount a traveler on a fairing block is it considered good practice to also have a backing plate below the deck in the lazarette or is simply using large washers with the bolts considered sufficient? And should any fairing block for the track be bedded in a compound with some adhesive properties like 5200, or is the bedding simply to keep water from getting beneath the wood?

I ask because I'm planning on installing a traveller on a fairing blockand would prefer not to bed it in some compound that will make it impossible to remove in one piece when I get around to refinishing the decks in a year or so.

AJ
A30_John

Post by A30_John »

AJ, My track will be held on by 1/4" machine screws (12 of them) and I'm planning to use fender washers to back them. The track that I'm replacing used smaller machine screws and regular washers to back them. There were no problems evident with that arrangement. I'm considering tapping the holes to take the screw threads, but it's probably not necessary.

As with any deck hardware, I would not use 5200 to bed the track or fairing block for fear of damaging the gel coat or fiberglass when it inevitably needs to be taken off.

I will be bedding my track with LifeCaulk. Hope this helps..
John
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

Mine is installed exactly as John describes and with the exact same materials. I do however prefer Sikaflex, especially if using white, but Lifecaulk is a good product.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Post by dasein668 »

I installed mine with 3M 101, tapped fasteners, and fender washers.
AJ
Almost a Finish Carpenter

Post by AJ »

Thanks for the information, guys!

I'll follow your lead and use fender washers then. When I pulled up the old traveler last fall it was bedded in 5200 and suffice to say removal wasn't pleasant! The 5200 is still there on the cockpit seats, but I've since learned of Debond 2000, have ordered some, and hopefully it'll take care of the remainder of that stuff once and for all.

AJ