Winch Identification

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Rick
Rough Carpentry Apprentice

Winch Identification

Post by Rick »

I've removed the old winches from my A21 and need to replace some springs. I can't find any name on them, just a logo. The logo on the winches in an anchor with the letters "R" and "C" on each side. Here's a photo, but the logo is pretty faint. It's on the lower left at about 8 o'clock.

Once we ID the winch, can someone recommend lubricants and parts sources? I'd also like to shine it up a bit, so recommendations for cosmetic repairs will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Rick
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

40+ views and no answers?

Well, I don't have one either.
The RC anchor logo (which I can't discern in the pic, by the way) doesn't ring any bells for me.

Pawl springs shouldn't be so troublesome to replace, though. They're probably interchangeable with the springs from a similar winch by other manufacturers.

As for the shine it up bit, sorry man that chrome is gone. Re-plating will completely renew the look, of course, but then you'll want to re-plate everything else on the boat, I'm afraid. Truly a tar-baby.
Rick

Post by Rick »

Figment, thanks for the reply. If it helps, the boat was built in California in the early '70's, but I guess the winches could have come from anywhere.

Sounds like cosmetics are a lost cause. Maybe I'll just buy some really nice winch covers!

Actually, do you think I should try to buff off the scratches to improve the look, or isn't it worth it?
Rick
Summersdawn
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by Summersdawn »

You should be able to make some pawl springs with stainless steel piano wire. Wrap it around and object slightly smaller in diameter than the loop in the existing spring (to allow some "springback"), and bend the ends out at the correct angle. I made some pawl springs for my winch 10 years ago, and they are still fine.
Rick
Summer's Dawn
24 San Juan #380
windrose
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Post by windrose »

Made them for my old Merriman winches out of heavy paper clips three + years ago, still going strong.
s/v Wind-rose
Pearson Triton #215
West River, Chesapeake Bay
Rick

Post by Rick »

Great advice - cheap, available and effective - thanks
Rick
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Here's a link to one guy's page on making homemade pawl springs.

Link: Making Pawl Springs
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Rick

Post by Rick »

Thanks for the link Tim. Do you have any suggestions which size wire is appropriate. I'm looking at the SS 316 spring wire @ McMaster Carr (pgs 3589-3590), but don't have a clue which size.
Rick
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Well, I don't know. Obviously, it's pretty small, and the size will probably vary winch brand to winch brand, as well as by winch size. I haven't tried making my own (yet), so I don't have any direct experience to relate.

If you still have a pawl spring from that winch, then you should match the size with the new wire; if not, the little recess in the pawl where the spring sets ought to give you an idea. Get out your micrometer! (I don't have one either, don't worry...)
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Summersdawn
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by Summersdawn »

Close is good enough. I got my wire at a Hobby Shop. I took a spring down there, and chose a similar sized wire from there stock. The good thing about buying it this way is they will sell it by the foot.
Rick
Summer's Dawn
24 San Juan #380