Cure for an itchy fiberglass spar -- questions.

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Cure for an itchy fiberglass spar -- questions.

Post by Rachel »

My Fatty Knees dinghy utilizes a two-piece fiberglass windsurfer mast section for its mast, and over the years it's become "itchy," in the way that old fiberglass sometimes does. I tried waxing it a few years ago (I had no access to other supplies at the time), but that didn't do much for it.

Now I'm thinking I'll paint it - probably by brushing (or "mitting" since it's round?) on two-part paint. What I'm wondering is if a typical, high-build primer - in combination with the paint - will be enough to tame the itch; or if I need to do something more drastic first, such as to prime with epoxy or barrier coat.

Anyone have experience with this? I had lots of old kayaks "go itchy" back in the day, but then we just lived with it. Now I'm not quite as accepting.

Thanks,

Rachel
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

I would think sanding and painting ought to do the trick. But I've never specifically addressed this problem (which I've only really experienced with mooring pick-up buoys).
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Al
Rough Carpentry Apprentice

Post by Al »

Why not just "paint" it with epoxy?
Al Lorman
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

If you do "paint" it with epoxy, be sure to also paint the epoxy with (duh) paint, since epoxy is not UV resistant.

Or, you could add an additive to the epoxy to create the necessary UV protection. I think something in the West System arsenal would accomplish this.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Yes, the reason I wasn't going to only epoxy coat it is epoxy's lack of UV resistance. Since there's no need for fiberglass to be "preserved" from rot, and since I'd have to paint over it anyway, I wondered if high-build primer and 2-part paint would just do the job themselves.

Not that I want to try it and find out I have to start over from scratch, though!

Rachel
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Quetzal
Boat Type: LeComte North East 38

Post by Quetzalsailor »

I had the same issue with our Forespar Man Overboard Pole. It was yellow fiberglass and had an orange plastic covered float. I sanded it as clean as reasonable, painted it with Brightside polyurethane and sanded it again before repainting with the Brightside. Needs the two coats since the first merely immobilizes the glass fibers.

It looks a hell of alot better in white, doesn't prickle, and the visibility issue is poppycock since the float is in the water and the pole is quite thin; it's the flag that you see.

D
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Quetzal,

Yep, there was a COB pole just like that on the boat I cruised on (never fixed that one though), and that is the exact same problem as my mast has. Good to know that paint/primer will be sufficient, and I don't need to get into pre-coating with epoxy just to cure the itch.

Thanks,

Rachel
MQMurphy
Topside Painter
Boat Name: Ikey Boy
Boat Type: Paceship Westwind 24

Post by MQMurphy »

Rachel wrote: . . . have to start over from scratch, though!

Rachel
No pun intended, eh?
- Mike Murphy
S/V Ikey Boy
1968 Westwind 24
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Quetzal
Boat Type: LeComte North East 38

Post by Quetzalsailor »

I had considered coating the fiberglass with epoxy (the resin of choice in my shop) but went the lazy route of paint. Clearly the epoxy would have bonded the shaggy fibers, but the thing would still have required two coats of paint for adequate coverage. Plenty good enough with two coats beats not much better with three coats any day.