Cockpit Size

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
rshowarth
Skilled Systems Installer

Cockpit Size

Post by rshowarth »

What are some boats with large comfortable cockpits?

I know the J-80 has a twelve foot long cockpit. Anything like that in a Classic Plastic?
Read

Catalina 27
O'Day Rhodes 19 Custodian
Jason K
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Rambunctious
Boat Type: J/30

Post by Jason K »

The Pearson Ensign and the CD Typhoon both have large cockpits for the size of the boat.
- Jason King (formerly #218)
J/30 Rambunctious
http://www.rambunctiousracing.com
MikeD
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Totoro
Boat Type: Sea Sprite 23 (#626)

Post by MikeD »

And the 26 ft Pearson Commander...
Mike
Totoro (SS23 #626)
Case

Post by Case »

Bristol 27 Weekender. Its an Alberg design, slightly bigger than the Commander. Has a huge 8 foot cockpit. Comes with either a motorwell or an inboard motor.

Sea Sprite 23 - The Daysailer version, the cockpit is just like the Ensign - nearly a virtual twin. These are rare as compared to the Weekender which has a smaller cockpit but a larger cabin (only slightly, its still small!).

Typhoon - The Daysailer version. Most Typhoons are Weekenders and the cockpit on these are small. The Daysailer is masthead rigged and has no cabin. Weekenders are fractionally rigged and has a small cabin. I think there might be a couple of really early Typhoon Daysailers with a fractional rig and a cabin but they are exceedingly rare. I know that the Typhoon has already been mentioned but I wanted to be more specific.

There's another Alberg design... the name slips my mind but its a 19 footer. Slightly larger than the Typhoon but has a large cockpit, not self-bailing. Built by Sailstar, I think.

All are Alberg Designs. I can't think of any more other classic plastics with large cockpits as of now... I'm sure there are more.

Oh, by the way... the Marshall Sandpiper and Sanderling Daysailer has HUGE cockpits. The Sandpiper is a 15 foot catboat and the Sanderling Daysailer is a 18 foot catboat. The cockpit on both is nearly the entire length of the boat. I don't know about the Sandpiper but the cuddy cabin Sanderling (not the daysailer version) does sail very well, I have trouble with them all of the time when sailing in my Sea Sprite 23. I consider catboats to be plastic classics and both of these designs were first built in the 1960s and are still in production today.

- Case
rshowarth

Sea Sprite

Post by rshowarth »

Here is a Sea Sprite with a gaff rig:

Sea Sprite
Read

Catalina 27
Dave
Bottom Sanding Grunt

Large Cockpit

Post by Dave »

I have a 1971 Irwin 38 classic centerboard. Lines are very close to Alburg 37. Very large cockpit, at least 6 feet between cabin and wheel, then a "t" shaped cockpit behind the wheel. I can sail the boat alone very easy from the wheel with the traveler just in front of the wheel. Can have at least 6 guests forward of the wheel with nobody being in the way. Also, she is a very nice traditional sailing boat which was built very well before Irwin cheapened everything.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

You have to make your own to get a 12' cockpit.

---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Case

Post by Case »

That Sea Sprite 23 with the Gaff Rig is a Weekender version, not a Daysailer. The Daysailer has a much larger cockpit than the one shown in the photograph. The Weekender has a 6"2" something cockpit, merely average sized. It feels crowded if you have more than 2 people in it. The cockpit can handle 4 easily but the sailing companions better be comfortable in close quarters. The Daysailer version can easily handle 6.

I think the Marshall Sanderling Daysailer has a cockpit almost as big as the Triton Daysailor. Other than the Marshall Sanderling Daysailer, I don't think there are any stock other classic plastic sailboats with a cockpit near 12 feet long. Tim said it right... need to customize a hull if you want a 12 feet cockpit or so.

That 19 footer sailboat I mentioned earlier... I think it was called the Corinthian.

- Case
bhartley
Boat Name: Ariel Pyxis
Boat Type: Sea Sprite 23 Cape Dory 25D

Cockpit size

Post by bhartley »

The Typhoon and Sea Sprite 23 cockpit seats are essentially the same length. We swapped cushions back and forth for one season before I sewed new cushions for the Sea Sprite.

The Sea Sprite Daysailor is harder to come by, but it does have a huge cockpit.

The seats on our 25D on the other hand are a good bit shorter! Go figure.

Bly
CharlieJ
Wood Whisperer

Post by CharlieJ »

[quote="Tim"]You have to make your own to get a 12' cockpit.

Or have a BUNCH of bucks so you can buy one of the new line of daysailers like the Alerion..

I don't have that kinda money!!!
jollyboat
Boat Name: Jollyboat

Post by jollyboat »

Well, though not huge-I am very happy with the size of the Triton cockpit. I intend on installing cleats (the wooden kind guys) on either side of the cockpit well so that I can install 'cockpit boards' which will be at the same height as the benches. With this arrangement I can lay out the 'bottom sider' cushions and the ladies can have a big place to sprawl out and oil up while at anchore. With my status as Admirl, I can stand in the companionway and keep an eye on the attractive poop deck.
Last edited by jollyboat on Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brian
Jollyboat, Triton #466
Sepi,Triton #346 (1st, Triton)

No Quarter
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando

Post by Tim »

Brian's Bevy of Beauties?
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

CharlieJ wrote:Or have a BUNCH of bucks so you can buy one of the new line of daysailers like the Alerion..

I don't have that kinda money!!!
http://www.alerionexpress28.com/id130.html
Alerion wrote:The special features are open cockpit, complete simplicity and a friendly price designed to introduce sailors to the Alerion Express Fleet.
Hmm, seems Alerion doesn't think they are expensive Charlie. But if the numbers I have heard about the AE 20 at the yard are anything close I think their idea of reasonable and mine are a little different.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
rshowarth

Post by rshowarth »

The Sanderlings clearly have the large comfortable cockpit.

http://www.marshallcat.com/M18Lines.htm

Tim's Daysailor is hard to beat. Between the classic lines of the Triton and the trim design of the cabintop it takes the blue ribbon.

Anyone have a picture of a Sea Sprite Daysailor version?
Read

Catalina 27
jollyboat
Boat Name: Jollyboat

Post by jollyboat »

Mike D mentioned the Pearson Commander - this is one of my top ten favorite boats and the size of the cockpit is huge. I teach sailing on the weekend several times a month on Pearson Ensigns which also have very large cockpits but the cabin affords little space for those of us that are six feet and up. The Commander on other hand, though also with a modest cabin, is large enough to allow for easier movement but more to the point the cockpit is large and roomy. I would say for the money (since that became part of this threads points) that the Commander boast one of the largest cockpits at the best price in the "plastic classic cockpit shoot out" and vote the Commander #2 overall behind the Daysailor Project and #1 for production boats.
Lets compile and overall list -

1. Daysailor Project
2. Pearson Commander
3. Pearson Ensign
4. . . . . .please add at will . . . .
6. Put the Triton at number six for a reference point (subject to change)
Brian
Jollyboat, Triton #466
Sepi,Triton #346 (1st, Triton)

No Quarter
rbloomer
Bottom Sanding Grunt

Post by rbloomer »

The Sonar has a pretty nice cockpit. I think some day she'll be a classic.

http://www.sonar.org/site/files/Library ... /Sofas.jpg
Case

Post by Case »

rshowarth -

Most Sea Sprite Daysailors are pretty old and often look a little odd because their owners did not paint the boot-tops, waterline, etc properly.

Unlike most of Alberg's designs, SS23s actually tend to be bow down on their lines, not stern squat. That is because the SS23 was designed to have an inboard and almost all ended up going engineless or has an outboard.

That said, when you adjust the waterline, boot-top correctly, they look very nice. A great project boat if you can find one.

The current administrator of the Sea Sprite website has a Sea Sprite 23 Daysailor, called Grayling. He restored it and its among the better looking SS23 Daysailors out there.

Link:

http://www.seasprites.com/profile_grayling.asp

Depending on your connection, the website may load slowly. The website has too much background to load, slowing down things.

- Case
rshowarth

Sea Sprite

Post by rshowarth »

Case-

Thank you for the link.

Cannot quite tell the difference between the Weekender and the Daysailor from the photographs, but they certainly look like they provide a good cockpit.

Looks like the draft is reasonable as well.

Where did the prop exit the hull in the inboard versions?
Read

Catalina 27
bhartley
Boat Name: Ariel Pyxis
Boat Type: Sea Sprite 23 Cape Dory 25D

Daysailor vs Weekender

Post by bhartley »

Weekender is deck stepped just forward of the cabintop. Daysailor is stepped on the cabintop. Daysailor has a cuddy type cabin with doors. Weekender has a bridge deck with traditional hatch boards.
Ceasar Choppy
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist

Post by Ceasar Choppy »

My Pearson 39 has a 10 foot cockpit and is quite comfortable.

We did the Annapolis Parade of lights a few years ago on a friend's P-39 on which we had a 18 piece band plus 3 of us that didn't play an instrument for a total of 21 people aboard.

In the cockpit, we had a drummer with a modest sized drum kit, three trumpet players, a clarinetist, and a Tuba-- and I was helming. Aside from constantly telling the tuba player to move when I had to go from forward to reverse, we fit pretty well. The rest were up on the cabin top. I only wish I had pictures-- but it was too dark anyway.

http://www.pearson39.org/history/p39_page6a.html
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Ceasar Choppy wrote:We did the Annapolis Parade of lights a few years ago on a friend's P-39 on which we had a 18 piece band plus 3 of us that didn't play an instrument for a total of 21 people aboard.
Wow, I don't think anyone but political refugees is going to top that one! Oh, for photos.

I agree that the Pearson Commander (same hull as the Ariel) does give you a lot of boat - and cockpit - for the money. They seem to sell for an all-out-of-proportion lower price than the Ariel (or other "cabin" boats), for what you get.

Not that you're planning this kind of trek, probably, but I read a very entertaining log (one of the few that could keep my interest without virtually no photos) wherein a trio (two brothers and a friend) took the family Commander (owned since new) from Chicago to SF Bay via the Panama Canal (with an outboard in a well, no less). One of the two brothers that made up the group had been transferred to the Bay Area and they decided that trucking would be boring. They made it safely and sounded like a neat trio. I'll post a link when I'm writing from my own computer, in case anyone's interested.

Added note: Oh, here, I found the log by Googling:

http://www.geocities.com/sjfaul/Sailing.html

At the same time, I picked up on a photo page that was posted by a friend of the trio who went along for a short period of time. Here are a few photos, and the links to the pages:

http://gallery.chambana.net/faith-20050412
http://gallery.chambana.net/faith-sean-pre20050412

rshowarth

Sonar

Post by rshowarth »

I had forgotten about the Sonar. I ran across it while looking at an Ideal 18.

It is roomy, but a little pricey. Still, looks swift and confortable.

There is a Commander on Yacht World:

26' Pearson Commander
Year: 1965
Current Price: US$ 2,900
Located In New Bedford, MA
Hull Material: Fiberglass
Engine/Fuel Type: Single Diesel
YW# 75343-1758446

Commander Link
Read

Catalina 27
Shoalcove

Post by Shoalcove »

I'm not sure if it is a classic but the Tanzer22 has a big cockpit. It is a pretty good sailer with keel or centerboard options. They built a pile of them and can be had for a reasonable price.
David
rshowarth

Tanzer 22

Post by rshowarth »

When Googling (sp?) the Tanzer 22 I came across this posting about one man's rehab.

http://tanzer22.org/2104/

It has nicely documented and detailed descriptions.
Read

Catalina 27
Duncan
Boat Name: Coquine
Boat Type: Cape Dory 27

Post by Duncan »

Rachel wrote:...a very entertaining log...wherein a trio... took the family Commander...from Chicago to SF Bay via the Panama Canal
That's a grand voyage! It reminds me I'd seen a Commander for sale in the Mediterranean about three years back. It had been on a long-term cruise, it had obviously crossed the Atlantic at some point, and they had it fixed up very nicely for (compact!) living aboard.
Shoalcove wrote:I'm not sure if it is a classic but the Tanzer22 has a big cockpit. It is a pretty good sailer with keel or centerboard options. They built a pile of them and can be had for a reasonable price.
David
As you say, "classic" might be a stretch, they're a bit unusual-looking, and certainly not "traditional". On the other hand, they're not bad-looking, either, and they are very practical.

As you say, the cockpit is great, and the cabin is very well set up with all the basic amenities. They are pretty good sailers, too, and a lot of fun to race. It seems like a very good candidate for the best family boat you could have in a 22 footer.

They were built here (Montreal), and there are at least "dozens" of them around, if not hundreds. I would hazard a guess that they are the most popular boat to be found locally.
Cape Dory 10 & 27
Al
Rough Carpentry Apprentice

Post by Al »

Actually, the Commander that was for sale in the Med a while ago go there from the West Coast via the Pacific on what was originally planned to be a circumnavigation.

My first boat was a Commander; the cockpit is 9' long. My old boat, Commander number 26, is for sale in MD (www.grabbagsailboats.com) for $2,900, somewhat the worse for wear since I owned it (despite the impression you'll get from the photo)..
Al Lorman