Finding age of outboard???

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Scott
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Finding age of outboard???

Post by Scott »

Hi,
I have an older 2 HP Johnson Seahorse, model#J2RCTD serial# E5723563. Can anyone tell me where I can find out the age of it, and pick up a service manual?
Thanks, Scott
Have recently purchased Pearson Triton which I will be restoring over the coming months/years!
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

A number of years ago I bought a runabout with an old Evinrude on it; I called my local marine place that serviced them and gave them the serial number and they were able to tell me that it was a 1964 motor.

Another time I had a Johnson 9.9 that I wasn't sure about, and that time I found an online "old motor" group who helped me out (I'll see if I can find the link to that).

I've seen a number of service manuals on e-Bay, but haven't purchased one there myself.

Rachel
Duncan
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Coquine
Boat Type: Cape Dory 27

Post by Duncan »

I just googled this stuff up, but it seems authoritative:
After 1970 model numbers include the HP, as in J33ELUTa.
J=Johnson
33=HP
E=electric start
L=long (20") shaft
UT=year code (see below)
a=production run

The year code uses the letters of the word, "INTRODUCES" to represent the digits 1-0. So the UT would be 73.

I N T R O D U C E S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0
http://continuouswave.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/011168.html
Based on that, plus this chart, I'd make your #J2RCTD out as J=Johnson, 2=2 hp, R=rope start, CT=1983, D=?

As far as manuals, I have one which covers a broad range of manufacturers, years and models. The information & photos seem very good.

Mine is on the boat, but I guess the point is you probably don't need a specific manual for your engine. Next time I look (maybe this weekend), I'll see if your engine is in there and I can scan the pages for you?
Cape Dory 10 & 27
Scott
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Thanks!

Post by Scott »

Thanks Duncan and Rachel,
That would be great Duncan if you could scan that info on this motor for me. It seems like it wants to run, but I can get the proper tuning on the thing!!
Take care,
Scott
Have recently purchased Pearson Triton which I will be restoring over the coming months/years!
Duncan
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Coquine
Boat Type: Cape Dory 27

Post by Duncan »

Hi Scott
I got it, 6 pages, scanned to a .pdf file. If you PM me an email address, I can send it as an attachment.
Cape Dory 10 & 27