What's you favorite GPS handheld and why?

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Scout

What's you favorite GPS handheld and why?

Post by Scout »

Time to upgrade. Although it may never happen I suppose the idea of being able to connect to a non existant chart plotter and or an existant Furuno radar would be ok.

Thanks in advance.
Jason K
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Rambunctious
Boat Type: J/30

Post by Jason K »

I don't know about their interface capabilities, but I really like any of the Garmin GPS Map 76--- series. The navigation is intuitive (superior in my opinion to that of their newer chartplotters), the screen is big enough, and the whole unit is small enough.
- Jason King (formerly #218)
J/30 Rambunctious
http://www.rambunctiousracing.com
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

What's the budget? What do you really use it for?

I've never really wanted more than my Garmin 72, though I got to play with a 476 (stretching the definition of "handheld", I know) for a few hours last weekend and it was definitely a few notches up the cool-scale. I'm told that the current generation can overlay weather info.
CharlieJ
Wood Whisperer

Post by CharlieJ »

We continue to use our Garmin 76 and 72 ( the 72 is our backup) Both give us channel bouy info on the built in maps, both will connect to ships power so no need to change batteries and both will interface with our laptop, using the free downloaded NOAA charts and Maptechs free Chart Navigator, so we can use it as a chart plotter if needed. We seldom do.

My eyes aren't good enough to be using a map on the tiny screens on a hand held.
Noah
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by Noah »

I have a GPSMAP 76 with the blue chart for Lake Champlain loaded and it works pretty well. One thing to remember is is really only works for local details, etc. The display only shows the actual chart when you are zoomed in to .3 miles. It's fine for figuring out where you are, but not great for planning routes, etc. I do almost all my waypoint editing and route planning on the computer, then upload it to the GPS.

I've had that GPS for 4 years now and it still works perfectly - no problem with quality.
I want a shop!
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

I'm not on the verge of buying a GPS, most likely, but as long as the thread's going....

I get what Noah is saying about the limited usefulness of the "MAP" part on the tiny screen. Charlie, are your 72 and 76 both "non MAP" versions? (I saw one of those for a price at which I just might buy one sooner rather than later.)

Thanks for clarifying,

Rachel
catamount
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: GREYHAWK
Boat Type: Peterson 34

Post by catamount »

I have the non-map Garmin GPS 76 and it works fine. It has got most of the buoys and other navigational marks loaded, so you can see you position relative to them, but you need to have a real chart to cross-reference against, as there is no coastline on the GPS display.

That said, there have been occaisions where having a chartplotter display, even a little one such as on a Garmin GPSMAP 76, would have been helpful, like going through the Goose Rock Passage in thick fog, or finding the entrance to the Cape Cod Canal at night against all the shore lights, etc...
Tim Allen -- 1980 Peterson 34 GREYHAWK
Harborfields Housekeeping Cottages, West Boothbay Harbor, Maine
Sailors for the Sea, a new voice for ocean conservation
Peter
Boat Name: Pagan
Boat Type: Albin Ballad 30

Post by Peter »

GPSMap76, by itself for daysailing, hooked up to the laptop for voyaging, running Memory-Map Navigator Pro with A.I.S.
If I were to upgrade it would probably be to the 76C (color) version.
I'm happy with the screen as it's very user-configerable (is that a word?) and all the info windows can be shut for a full screen map, then easily recalled.
Peter
==================
Victoria BC Canada
Albin Ballad 30

http://www.mostlyaboutboats.ca
CharlieJ
Wood Whisperer

Post by CharlieJ »

Yep Rachel- both "non-map" The 72 is currently the better buy. The two units are virtually identical, with the 76 having a bit higher screen resolution. Personally we can't see the difference.

They both have the bouyage shown on the standard map they have-the one you see as you travel, with the pointer showing the waypoints., NOT a chart type map- ICW markers and all channel markers for major channels crossing the ICW are shown.. At least from here to Florida so I assume round the coast.

Laura has figured how to develop a route on the laptop and down load it to the GPS ( either model) and we already knew how to set up waypoints on the computer then down load the waypoints. Since then both units have all the exact same names for waypoints, which makes it easy to use either one. I thnk we are using the free Chart Navigator for that.

If I were buying new right now, I'd get the 72.
Noah

Post by Noah »

One thing I should mention is that the Garmin "BlueChart" CD's that you load into the GPS can be used on any computer, and allow realtime tracking from the GPS on the chart. IE I have a 10 year old laptop on the nav station running the BlueChart software with my GPS connected to it. This allows me to do navigating on the laptop screen with big maps.
I want a shop!
Summersdawn

Post by Summersdawn »

I have the Garmin eTREX Legend C. It is a great handheld. Connects very easily to a laptop with a USB 2.0 cabel, has a colour plotter, and comes loaded with base charts and lights.
Rick
Summer's Dawn
24 San Juan #380
rshowarth

Charts, GPS and Depth

Post by rshowarth »

When racing on the Delaware River north of Philadelphia, we are often concerned with the tidal current and the depth of the water. We want to get out of the stronger current in the deeper channel when going against the current, and we do not want to run aground.

When the charts give depth readings, is it at low tide?

What combination of GPS and charts will tell me when I am getting close to running aground?

Most of this can be developed with experience and a depth meter. This is not life or death racing, but it would be nice to have this equipment if not too expensive. I see the Garmin GPS72 can be had for about $140.00.

Please advise your thoughts.
Last edited by rshowarth on Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Read

Catalina 27
O'Day Rhodes 19 Custodian
catamount
Boat Name: GREYHAWK
Boat Type: Peterson 34

Re: Charts, GPS and Depth

Post by catamount »

rshowarth wrote:When the charts gice depth readings, is it at low tide?
Usually, yes. It should say on the chart somewhere what vertical datum they are using.
Tim Allen -- 1980 Peterson 34 GREYHAWK
Harborfields Housekeeping Cottages, West Boothbay Harbor, Maine
Sailors for the Sea, a new voice for ocean conservation
Figment

Post by Figment »

Read that's EXACTLY how we use the 476 for on the raceboat..... current management. Where can we hide? Are we getting swept yet? By how much? Where is that rock we "tickled" last year?

But when being used in this manner, it really does require someone's undivided attention. Yeah they can work the pit or if it's not a puffy day they can trim the main as well, but that's about it.

If you're not going to run on that razor's edge then I think a bit of local knowlege and a depthsounder are all you need.
Case

Post by Case »

Seriously... spend the money on a handheld GPS that will show a tiny chart on it. Unless your eyes are too bad to read the images, you will not regret the purchase.

The better types shows a REAL chart, not the "emptie" types of chart. I own a Garmin GSMAP 76 with BlueChart. Wonderful. Its great at the 0.2 to 0.3 miles range which shows just enough detail such as depth, ledges, and doesn't have to refresh to show a new area to often. With the correct detail setting (its variable), I can thread through ledges and so on with it. I also keep a large chart book to plan ahead for areas beyond the 0.2 or 0.3 mile range I choose for my Garmin GSMAP76.

The color ones are worthwhile the extra moolah, I think. They are brighter, easier to read. Mine is black on white (grey, really) and are not as legible. When the one I have dies, I will spring the $ 400 or so for the color display. Oh, theres a pointer... get the ultra expensive Energizer Lithium batteries... They do cost 3 times more than regular AA batteries but last 4 or so times longer. Definitely worth the extra $$. Only downside is that these batteries dies abruptly... the battery life meter on the handheld GPS is worth nothing with the lithium batteries for some reason. With the cheap AA batteries, the battery life meter is consistent, shows steady decrease while with the Lithium batteries... shows full life then BOOM, dead. But after using both types, I cannot stand the cheapie AA batteries, they are only good for a day or so. Lithium... good for a month for me.

- Case
Bluenose
Boat Name: Bolero
Boat Type: Modified Shields One Design

Post by Bluenose »

I just picked up a refurbished Garmin GPSMAP 76S on ebay for $149 including shipping.

I added the Bluechart maps for Puget Sound from Amazon for $105 (add to shopping cart for this price).

The 76S adds a compass and barometer. I am still getting used to it but I am liking what I see so far. I find the small display very useful.

Bill
Tony
Boat Name: S/V Bonnie Blue
Boat Type: Catalina 22

Post by Tony »

Only downside is that these batteries dies abruptly... the battery life meter on the handheld GPS is worth nothing with the lithium batteries for some reason.
Case,
The lithium batteries really do act this way. Regular alkaline batteries start at some voltage above their rate, say 1.8 V for an AA. Their voltage drawdown is fairly constant with use, in a fairly straight downward curve until they hit 6V or so, where the curve turns more sharply downward. This is because of the chemical reaction that provides the voltage difference. Lithium batteries use a different kind of chemical reaction. If you looked at a usage curve, you'd see them stay at their rated voltage for a much longer period of time. After a certain period of usage, you'd see a slight downturn then a severe downward curve as the chemical reaction peters out. Your GPS's battery meter is calibrated to work with Alkaline batteries. I haven't seen your model specifically, but if it's the kind with 3 or 4 little bars, it's programmed to show full throughout the top 85-80 or so %* of the rated battery voltage before it shows a drop. With the lithium batteries, once you get below that 85-80 or so %*, you're already below the 3db point on the usage curve and diving for 0V.

Hope that helps you understand it a little better.

*85-80% is just a WAG, but it's in that neighborhood.
Tony
Case

Post by Case »

Interesting. I didn't know that. Something new to me.

I occasionally see the battery meter slightly less than 100% full but most of the time its just full or totally dead. In between is very rare. I always bring two extra AAs along with my GPS because there simply are no warning about the battery nearing its end. Its a little annoying but the awesomely extended lifespan is worth it for me. Besides after the two AA batteries "dies", they still have enough juice left to power my small LED flashlights for quite a few hours. That way, I get more bang for my buck out the pricey lithium batteries.

- Case
CharlieJ
Wood Whisperer

Post by CharlieJ »

Do you not have a cable to allow the GPPS to be powered from ships batteries? On a longish trip, such as our 30+ day cruise to Florida or Laura's recent 11 day single hand trip, the cost of batteries would be high. Either of our GPS units will run exactly two days on a pair of AA's if we are only running during the day. That would be 15 batteries on a 30 day sail, more if sailing offshore and using the GPS 24 hours a day.

Plus you don't have to worry about the unit suddenly going dead on you.
Peter

Post by Peter »

The Garmin 76 manual says it will run off 8 to 35 volts DC.
That's pretty versatile. I run mine off the ship's battery, using a coil cord going to a double phone jack that supplies 12 volts and data lines. My laptop plugs into the other side of the jack, to send and receive data from the gps.
You can also buy a cable on eBay that has a serial plug for a PC, a Garmin plug, and a cigarette lighter plug, that does the same thing. Being obtuse, I made my own ;-)
Peter
==================
Victoria BC Canada
Albin Ballad 30

Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Nice avatar, Peter!

And thanks for the additional GPS info to everyone above.

Rachel
Peter

Post by Peter »

Rachel wrote:Nice avatar, Peter!
Thanks Rachel. It's an old photo ... I recently changed my canvas to "toast" , after seeing how good Tim's Triton looks.
Peter
==================
Victoria BC Canada
Albin Ballad 30

Figment

Post by Figment »

Figment wrote: I've never really wanted more than my Garmin 72,
Until today.

I brought the boat around to branford today for a casual race tomorrow. It was to be an ever so casual delivery. It was foggy, but I could see about a mile. At first.

Hours later, visibility was 20 yards as I turned into the channel.
I HATE motoring in fog. Sailing in fog, I'm cool, motoring in fog just creeps me out because I can't hear anyone coming. I killed two air horns on this approach.

The garmin 72 let me bump my way up the channel, though as you can see by my track it wasn't elegant. The problem came after I'd passed thorugh the mermaids. That loop is where I dropped my main. In the process of dropping the main, visibility dropped to ten yards. It is now that I notice that the 72 is absolutely useless to me because the remainder of the channel is defined by land features, not by government marks.
So I backtrack to the big Mermaid and strike a course of 045 for the river mouth. General disorientation and correction for propwalk set me a bit north of that, as you can see. I saw the lump of rocks labeled "Branford Pt" and mistook it for the lump of rocks east of the river mouth.

The southern edge of Parker Memorial Park is a seawall. A 40' high wall of granite blocks. Atop this wall is a shiny white flagpole, and it's a good thing, because the panic-stop initiated upon spotting that flagpole stopped me about 25' shy of the wall I couldn't see. Too close.

I now have DEEP appreciation for chartplotting gps displays.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Figment wrote:...the panic-stop initiated upon spotting that flagpole stopped me about 25' shy of the wall...
I bet that got the adrenaline flowing!
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

Funny, I always get a bit more creeped out under sail in the fog than motoring. I have to think about more stuff with the sails up.

I had a similar heart pounding experience on my two month cruise two years ago. That was one of the few times when sailing really wasn't much fun.

I don't know if I really trust chart plotters but I want one on the boat. Actually, what I really don't trust is dimwit boaters driving along at full speed staring at their screens and forgetting that chartplotters don't show everyone else out there.

Chartplotters are just plain 'cool' too. Nerdy perhaps but cool.

-Britton
-Britton
Work is overrated.

Most everything you read on the Internet is wrong.

The Website
The Blog
A30_John

Post by A30_John »

It's in these types of situations that I reeeeaaaaallllyyy wish I had radar. :-|
John
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

What the boat wants...
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

Radar is getting cheap too. A few years ago I never would have entertained the idea. Now I know I will have it eventually.

Then I, too, can throttle up, engage the autopilot, go down below, watch TV and let the radar warn me if anyone gets too close...

-Britton
-Britton
Work is overrated.

Most everything you read on the Internet is wrong.

The Website
The Blog
Ceasar Choppy

Post by Ceasar Choppy »

I use a PDA with a plug-in GPS and Maptech charts on a flash memory chip. The PDA runs old Maptech software for PDAs that I think is available for a lot less now than it cost me 5 years ago (free maybe?). Actually the whole set-up costs a lot less than what it cost me 5 years ago.

The beauty is that it functions as a full chartplotter with touch screen capabilities.

The downside is that sometimes the GPS conflicts with other programs on the PDA, and it is not waterproof. I've had it long enough to know how to troubleshoot the GPS problem.

I also use a Aqua-Pak waterproof bag that allows me to run a 12v power cord if I need it, but more importantly, allows me to use the touchscreen with my finger through the plastic.

Best of all, I don't need no steeeinking Garmin! (Although I have a couple of those around too). :)
A30_John

Post by A30_John »

What kind of PDA do you use? I have an Axim X51 and would never trust it for something "mission critical" because of a) the waterproof issue, and b) it runs on an OS that has had a history of being very buggy. Maybe you've found something better. I sure like the idea of being able to use something less expensive in terms of charts.
John
Ancient Race
Almost a Finish Carpenter

Post by Ancient Race »

I picked up a Garmin GPSmap 76, largely on the advice here. It looks to be more than adequate for my purposes, which at this point are limited to coastal daysailing and racing.

I don't use a PDA - fortunately my schedule is limited enough that I don't require it - but I'm planning to grab one of these when they hit the US market at the end of the year.
Tartan 27 #77
Seafarer Meridian 26
Jet 14 #952
Scout

Post by Scout »

We ended up buying the map76Cx off of ebay for 260.00 - a refirb.

Took it out yesterday only to discover there are no charts in there!! Thought it would be like our old gps only in color. So, in looking at the chart software, it's not clear to me which CD is appropriate..."Americas"? "Atlantic"?

Feeling pretty stupid here.
Ceasar Choppy

Post by Ceasar Choppy »

A30_John wrote:What kind of PDA do you use? I have an Axim X51 and would never trust it for something "mission critical" because of a) the waterproof issue, and b) it runs on an OS that has had a history of being very buggy. Maybe you've found something better. I sure like the idea of being able to use something less expensive in terms of charts.
It is an Axim actually. I'm thinking of upgrading because, as you pointed out, the software is no longer supported.

The reason I got the Axim in the first place, lo these 5 years now, is that it had the biggest screen of all at the time. That and it had both a CF slot for the GPS, and an SD slot for the charts. I see Dell offers a PDA with a GPS already built in which can only be a good thing.

I'm holding off a bit because I'm going to try and upgrade to a permanently mounted computer below and hoping to use bluetooth to send the charts to a handheld in the cockpit. That is the plan anyway. More like a winter research project...

Re the waterproof issue: I use an Aqua-Pac waterproof case with great results. No loss of GPS signal, I got the one that allows an external power cord, and best of all, the soft plastic allows me to still use the touch screen with my finger. I've navigated through many a squall, and into some tough spots at night with this.

I prefer the raster charts, btw, because they are basically traditional charts that I'm used to reading. For me, it is easier to extrapolate a fudge factor with a good idea of the surrounding area, rather than following the GPS verbatim.