Documenting a boat.

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
windrose
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Documenting a boat.

Post by windrose »

First off Happy New Year. I am planning to head south after hurricane season and stay out for awhile. I know some of you have documented your boats, how do I start the process, how much does it cost, how long will it take, does it make the customs process easier when clearing in?

Thanks,
Ang
s/v Wind-rose
Pearson Triton #215
West River, Chesapeake Bay
JonnyBoats

Post by JonnyBoats »

You may want to start by checking out the FAQ list at http://www.uscg.mil/hq/g-m/vdoc/faq.htm

Documentation is relatively straightforward and barring unusual curcumstances (like a lack of clear title etc) you should be able to easily do it yourself.
John Tarbox
S/V Altair, a LeComte NorthEast 38
http://www.boatmaine.us
windrose

Post by windrose »

Great link!!!!! Thank you. Happy New Year!
s/v Wind-rose
Pearson Triton #215
West River, Chesapeake Bay
Zach
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist

Post by Zach »

Johnny and others...

How does one go about getting a builders certificate stating the boat was built in the US? Or does the title do it for a triton?

Thanks!
JonnyBoats

Post by JonnyBoats »

How does one go about getting a builders certificate stating the boat was built in the US? Or does the title do it for a triton?
For a boat built by Pearson, you shouldn't have any problem. Has the boat ever been documented before?
John Tarbox
S/V Altair, a LeComte NorthEast 38
http://www.boatmaine.us
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Quetzal
Boat Type: LeComte North East 38

Post by Quetzalsailor »

I think you will find that the 5 ton mimimum size for documentation eliminates most stuff under about 30'. The Morgan 27, at 7500 lbs and the dimensions used to calculate tonnage, just squeaks by.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Quite a number of Tritons have been documented successfully.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Ceasar Choppy
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist

Post by Ceasar Choppy »

Quetzalsailor wrote:I think you will find that the 5 ton mimimum size for documentation eliminates most stuff under about 30'. The Morgan 27, at 7500 lbs and the dimensions used to calculate tonnage, just squeaks by.

Weight has nothing to do with it.

The CG Tonnage measurement is more a measure of VOLUME. My old Renegade at 27 feet was at one time documented at 7 Tons Net. The web site should have a method for determining Net Tonnage for documentation purposes. The Triton at 28 feet should have no problem.
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane

Post by Quetzalsailor »

Actually, it's an estimate of cargo capacity. I don't have the formula handy, but length, breadth and depth play into it (which of course smells like volume). The depth of the Morgan 27 was measured to the hull-keel joint; boats with a less obvious place from which to measure depth can rate a higher capacity. (My dad heard of folks who extended the hull construction down over the keel joint to increase the 'depth'.) Our NE 38 has a depth listed as 9.5 feet which sounds a little deeper than from bottom of the hollow keel up to the sheer. The Morgan's depth is listed as 4.2 feet which is about from the keel joint to the sheer amidships.
Ancient Race
Almost a Finish Carpenter

Post by Ancient Race »

Quetzalsailor wrote:Actually, it's an estimate of cargo capacity. I don't have the formula handy, but length, breadth and depth play into it (which of course smells like volume). The depth of the Morgan 27 was measured to the hull-keel joint; boats with a less obvious place from which to measure depth can rate a higher capacity. (My dad heard of folks who extended the hull construction down over the keel joint to increase the 'depth'.) Our NE 38 has a depth listed as 9.5 feet which sounds a little deeper than from bottom of the hollow keel up to the sheer. The Morgan's depth is listed as 4.2 feet which is about from the keel joint to the sheer amidships.
USCG Tonnage Guide for Simplified Measurement
Tartan 27 #77
Seafarer Meridian 26
Jet 14 #952
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane

Post by Quetzalsailor »

Some of you may find the above link is a dead end, like I did. Here's another one: http://homeport.uscg.mil/cgi-bin/st/por ... 4d51cc0dac

10 pages; understandable, even by me.
Ancient Race
Almost a Finish Carpenter

Post by Ancient Race »

Quetzalsailor wrote:Some of you may find the above link is a dead end, like I did. Here's another one: http://homeport.uscg.mil/cgi-bin/st/por ... 4d51cc0dac

10 pages; understandable, even by me.
Sorry about the link. Apparently it's a classified document; that link leads to the same dead end for me.

In the right column of This DHS/USCG page is a list of .pdf documents regarding tonnage measurement, including the Simplified Tonnage Guide.
Tartan 27 #77
Seafarer Meridian 26
Jet 14 #952
CharlieJ
Wood Whisperer

Post by CharlieJ »

Quetzalsailor

Get "UNAUTHORIZED ACCESS DETECTED" on your link
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

Ang wrote:I am planning to head south after hurricane season and stay out for awhile...
You know, that little blurb got passed me the first time.

What's your plan? Can we expect some winter updates (with pictures) here on the forum?

-Britton
-Britton
Work is overrated.

Most everything you read on the Internet is wrong.

The Website
The Blog