Caprail; Wood vs. Aluminum

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
vindo40
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Caprail; Wood vs. Aluminum

Post by vindo40 »

Can I have your opinions as to why one is better than the other ?
In my boat the caprail was originaly made out of wood and now I'm considering replacing it with metal.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

One is warm and inviting and traditional.

The other is cold and industrial and modernistic.

Wood weathers, requires maintenance, and can rot if sorely neglected.

Aluminum weathers, requires little maintenance, and can corrode or pit if neglected.

Beyond the subjective, there's little solid reason to point you in one direction or the other. I don't think of aluminum as a substitute for wood, but if you like it, then go for it. Given the amount of wood on a Vindo, though, I don't see aluminum fitting in at all. But that's just a personal outlook.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
suntreader
Rough Carpentry Apprentice

Post by suntreader »

My Islander 32 had a wood caprail originally, the previous owner replaced about eight feet of it on each side with perforated aluminum similar to the one on the Hunter I used to have.

The aluminum gives you a place to hang fenders or snap on a snatch block, so there is a functionality argument to be made, it also looks like crap after a while and is uncomfortable to hang your legs over when sitting on the side decks. People talk about wood needing maintenance, which is true, but at least there is something you can do once it starts to weather, aluminum weathers too and theres little you can do about it on the boat.

My new caprail will be all wood.

A Vindo, at least the ones I've seen, are really beautiful modern traditional yachts, it would seem odd to put what is essentially a cost saving alloy caprail on it.

David
vindo40
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Thanks !!!

Post by vindo40 »

Thanks guys for your valuable oppinions. I think as I am getting older and lazier at the same time.