What's a good looking paint that can be used below the water

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
preserved_killick
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Seagrass
Boat Type: Alberg 30

What's a good looking paint that can be used below the water

Post by preserved_killick »

I've got a Catalina 22, which is not exactly a plastic classic~, but since my Alberg may not be ready for this season we're looking at putting the Catalina in the water. The rudder on the Catalina is fiberglass and hangs off of the transom, with two thirds underwater. Previous owner painted it with a two part paint urethane and the underwater section is all blistered.

Once I sand the old paint off, is there a paint that can be use above and below the waterline? This boat will be in a lake, and I'd rather not deal with using two paints on this.

I was thinking of trying this stuff:
http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/us ... oxy+Enamel

Circa 1850 Epoxy Enamel.

Anyone use this before???

Any suggestion appreciated.

-jeff
Tony
Boat Name: S/V Bonnie Blue
Boat Type: Catalina 22

Post by Tony »

Jeff,
Nice to know there's another C-22'er onboard. Most of the racers around here from fleet 20 are using Interlux VC-17. Looks coppery, is pretty slick and from what I've heard pretty easy to apply. A PO painted my boat (quite poorly, may I add) with some kind of blue topsides (probably housepaint) and regular ol' cheapo bottom paint. Whenever I get around to it, I'll probably use VC-17 myself. There's an article about it here.
Tony
Tony
Boat Name: S/V Bonnie Blue
Boat Type: Catalina 22

Post by Tony »

I missed that you wanted to paint the entire boat with it...you could still use VC-17, but you'd definitely wind up with that "solid gold" retro 70's look...

Is there something wrong with your gelcoat?
Tony