Securing all chain rode in anchor locker

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
BALANCE
Skilled Systems Installer

Securing all chain rode in anchor locker

Post by BALANCE »

What is the best way to attach the chain to the anchor locker without pulling my boat apart :)
S/V BALANCE
Westsail32
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

In the W-32 I sailed on, the chain was attached to the samson post (be sure it's in good condition if you do this) with a length of line.

I think the minimum is enough line so that the line will come up through the chain pipe if you let out all your rode -- in case you want to cut the anchor chain free.

We had 50+' of stretchy nylon three-strand, because we felt we wanted that extra "give" if there was ever a time that (for one reason or another) the chain all went out in a hurry. This would relieve some stress if that were to happen.

Rachel
BALANCE

Post by BALANCE »

Alas, no samson posts
Last edited by BALANCE on Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
S/V BALANCE
Westsail32
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

How does the bulkhead between the anchor locker and the v-berth look? It should be strong, I think, but it might already be - or you might be able to beef it up. Or, is there a fore-and-aft divider in your anchor locker?

I'll have to come up with something along these lines myself - where do people usually fasten the line when they don't have something as obvious as a samson post?

R.
Zach
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist

Post by Zach »

Any thoughts on using a bow eye with a pair of eye nuts on to the inside. Primarily so it doubles as the attaching point for the nylon snubber on the anchor rode.

Downside... Pulling a hole in the bow.
BALANCE

Post by BALANCE »

my anchor locker is UNdivided, for now. I'm wondering if it is better to have a ring of some kind to be glassed to the stem inside, or the bottom or just a ring to a piece of wood that would act as a stopper on deck. I've seen both and both give me the jitters. I realize that the likelihood of running all (275') is slim but I'm more comfortable erring to the 'just in case'.
S/V BALANCE
Westsail32
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

I don't know that I'd do a bow eye on a westsail, but are the bolts for the bobstay fitting accessible for an eye nut?

Along the same line of thought, how about the bolts that secure the bowsprit to the deck? You're monkeying with those anyway to address backing-plate issues, aren't you?

Whatever the solution, a length of nylon would be a requirement in my book.
David

Post by David »

I attach my chain to the chain locker bulkhead below with 30' of 1/4" polyprop line. Then if I ever need to let the chain go to clear out of an anchorage, the line will float to the surface and allow me to retrieve it later. Also, the line is light enough that if the chain runs out for some weird reason, it will break rather than damage the bulkhead.

David
BALANCE

Post by BALANCE »

Figment, although I've sailed for years and years I am a neophyte to systems, nuts and bolts etc., so bear with me. I put that post up about backing plates but I never really got any feedback that they were a horror story - so no - I was not intending on messing with them anytime soon.

Rachel, my bulkhead between the V and the locker is thick - 5/8-3/4 ply but I would not describe it as strong.

David, after reading your situation, I'm wondering if 30 feet of a line that floats NOT secured is equally as good, if not better. I'm trying to play out the worst case scenario where the rode flies out uncontrolled AND I have a knife in my hand, I think I'd be waiting for it to stop before I attempt to get in it's way, at which point whatever I was attached to might have been dislodged....no matter how I spin it - run down to the locker itself and cut where connected, cut it from on deck...
S/V BALANCE
Westsail32
Al
Rough Carpentry Apprentice

Post by Al »

I just had to deal with this on my new-to-me Bristol. My anchor rode is 150' of chain and 100' of rope. The boat had been widely cruised so you can imagine my surprise when I discovered rooting around in the anchor locker that the only thing that kept the rode from departing the boat forever was that it was tied to a foot long piece of wood which would not fit through the hole in the deck. I attached a fairly heavy U bolt to the bulkhead between the anchor locker and the v berth. The bolt came with small backing plates fore and aft, but I will probably install a larger backing plate on the back. In fairness to the PO, there's a dedicated cleat on deck to which the rode is attached when anchored so there was probably little chance that the original piece of wood was intended to do much.
Al Lorman
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

I vote for attaching to the boat - probably to something that if it did (heaven forbid) tear out, it wouldn't leave a hole in the bow. So, bulkhead (which could be strengthened) or the like. It's hard to say without looking at it though... more photos?

The idea of someone leaving a 30' long floating poly line in an anchorage that others might also be trying to clear out of gives me the shivers, since people often leave under engine power.
BALANCE

Post by BALANCE »

I suppose a hole in the bulkhead is better than a hole in the hull. So, backing plates...no need for glass.
S/V BALANCE
Westsail32
CharlieJ
Wood Whisperer

Post by CharlieJ »

I'm with you on that one Rachel- that could cause others to have serious problems.
Capn_Tom
Boat Type: Westsail 32

Post by Capn_Tom »

If your 32 has the full liner, it turns up at the forward end of the locker in the v-berth just aft of the chain locker bulkhead. If you put a padeye low in the locker you can thru bolt with a backing plate in the locker below the berth. Plywood+fiberglass pan+backing plate = strong.
The board does not cut itself short!