I need a Hookah

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Aweigh329
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: Aweigh
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

I need a Hookah

Post by Aweigh329 »

I'm shopping for a 110v dock side "hookah" style compressor and regulator setup for bottom cleaning, zinc replacement etc. If anyone has info on where I can buy one or personal experience with same I would appreciate the input.

Thanks,
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

I used one once, and absolutely LOVED it. I didn't love the pricetag, however. I think it was upward of $800, and that was ten years ago.

And the Triton just isn't that big. A snorkel does me just fine.
CharlieJ
Wood Whisperer

Post by CharlieJ »

Several people around here have purchased electric compressors with the "oil-less" setup on the compressor. I dove with one and my Hookah hoses- works just fine for shallow work. I don't know if it would support you deeper than 10 or 12 feet, or support two divers like my Brownies Third Lung will. But it worked just fine for working on my hull.

Be SURE the compressor is oil less. You cannot safely dive with a compressor that is oil lubricated- you'll mist your lungs - that could cause pnumonia.
Aweigh329
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: Aweigh
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Update on Hookah

Post by Aweigh329 »

For what it's worth; I bought a "Super Snorkel" compressor and regulator setup. Used it for the first time today. It was a little strange at first even as a certified diver. I'm not used to the 50 degree murky water of San Francisco bay. (that's cold in Cali) Dragging around 30 ft. of hose attached to your face is interesting also. After about 15 minutes I calmed down and got the job done in under an hour. I'm guessing it will take about 1/2 an hr. in the water next time. I think this set up will pay for itself in under a year and I will be able to scrub the bottom more frequently than I had been when contracting the job out.
cheers,