Imitation Manilla for Docking Lines

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Marshall Wright
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: s/v Sunset
Boat Type: Pacific Seacraft 25T

Imitation Manilla for Docking Lines

Post by Marshall Wright »

Greetings,

I'm trying to maintain a "traditional" look for my old PSC 25 and would like to try those imitation manilla lines for my docking lines.

Has anyone had any experience with these products? Sold under such names as Leoflex - X and Posh Double Braid. Spoken to a couple of salesfolks and they are quick to point out these are best for running rigging as they don't stretch much.

Advice most appreciated.

Marshall
Ceasar Choppy
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist

Re: Imitation Manilla for Docking Lines

Post by Ceasar Choppy »

Marshall Wright wrote: Spoken to a couple of salesfolks and they are quick to point out these are best for running rigging as they don't stretch much.
If they don't stretch much, then by definition, they aren't good dock lines. Docklines need to have some stretch to absorb shock loads.
Last edited by Ceasar Choppy on Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

I think the leoflex could be a decent dockline, so long as it isn't oversized. The braided dacron is a bit stiff, though, and gets stiffer with age.

Or you could soak some ordinary nylon lines in a bucket of stain overnight. I suggest "English Oak".
Marshall Wright
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: s/v Sunset
Boat Type: Pacific Seacraft 25T

Imitation Manilla Docklines

Post by Marshall Wright »

Figment -

Are you serious. Will nylon actually soak up some colour? What kind of stain? If so, how long will this last in the sun and will it wear off on the deck, hands, etc?

Marshall
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

Completely serious. I know people do it to dacron. I think it's been done with nylon as well, but I'm not certain.

Ordinary oil-based wood stain is the thing. You'll have to experiment with soaking times and drying times and that sort of thing to find your happy balance of color.
kgs113
Bottom Sanding Grunt

Post by kgs113 »

Brian Toss recommended the use of Roblon on Traditional boats. Three strand, looks like manila but synthetic. Now called Spunflex. Here's the link:
http://www.shipsofwood.com/rope.asp