Distributor Cap Clips

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Aweigh329
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: Aweigh
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Distributor Cap Clips

Post by Aweigh329 »

I've run into a problem trying to replace the distributor cap hold down clips on my Prestolite distributor. I checked with Moyers and Indigo. Neither have them or have a source for them. Does anyone have a source for them or has anyone come up with a good workaround? I'm thinking of wiring it down until I come up with a better solution. I would hate to have to buy a new distributor just because of the corroded clips.
thanks,
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Quetzal
Boat Type: LeComte North East 38

Post by Quetzalsailor »

Car parts emporium. Online. Parting out yard.

Dad used to know which Vega the Atomic 4 shared ignition parts with. (I never learned since I went with the Indigo electronic ignition.) A few moments comparing part numbers online might work for you. With any kind of luck, Moyer would not have bothered changing the distributor part number from Delco's.
cmartin
Almost a Finish Carpenter

Post by cmartin »

No first hand experience, but this place looks promising

http://www.distributordoctor.com/distri ... clips.html

If they dont have exactly what you need, I bet they have something close.
Aweigh329
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: Aweigh
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Aweigh329 »

Thanks for the input. I'm thinking of trying to find clips that are similar and then grind/ bend into a usable shape and size. I'm not sure I want to put that much energy into it. Still looking though. I won't be buying another Prestolite distributor anytime soon. The guy at Moyers said they have a pile of them in the shop, most of them missing the clips as they have been cannibalized for parts for their rebuilt units. They were understandably unwilling to sell those clips as they have no source for more. Worst case senario = switch to Pertronix I guess.