Wood Table Inlay

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Triton106
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Wood Table Inlay

Post by Triton106 »

Hi All,

I found this picture of a nav station chart table on the Pearson Ariel Forum and would like to copy it (no, I don't have a large nav station on my Triton, it's for my icebox which will also serve as chart table). Since the forum does not have any description of how it is made I googled around and but have not found anything that descibes how to make wood inlays that I can copy. Most of the wood inlay websites use actual wood for the inlay which is very difficult to do not to mention expensive. I am thinking of just using a high quality picture glued to the table and sealed with epoxy (eg. System Three Mirror Coat). But I have no idea how to actually execute the idea and what I need watch out for. If anyone on this forum has direct or indirect experience I would very much appreciate your help.

Thanks and best regards,

Ray
Ray D. Chang
Triton 106 in Berkeley, CA
One Way David
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Type: Pearson Ensign

Post by One Way David »

I think the simplest way would be to use veneer wood. Choose your colors by spieces of wood. Draw out the design contrasting the woods in the design. Veneer woods could be cut easily with exacto knives. Mark the table top with an outside perimeter line and rout inside the line to a depth the same as the thickness of the veneer. Glue the pieces in with contact cement and use whatever surface finish you like.
Never finish all your projects or you'll be bored.
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

Gluing in a picture is called decoupage. Lots of info on line about it

http://www.wikihow.com/Decoupage

Inlaying veneer is called marquetry. Lots of info on line here too.

http://www.inlay.com/marquetry/marquetr ... uetry.html

Decoupage is quite easy, marquetry is not so easy. Marquetry would definitely look nicer, but be a lot more work with a good sized learning curve. Its really a matter of whether learning to do it well is something you are willing to invest time into. Before attacking your ice box top with either process, I would practice on a side project.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
dmairspotter
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Wind Horse
Boat Type: 1974 Dufour 27

Post by dmairspotter »

If you are interested in info on inlay and marquetry information, or anything else woodworking, i recommend www.sawmillcreek.org.

Join and search the threads there. Amazing information and talent.

As far as "gluing" a pic to the top, I think West makes a specific epoxy that is meant to make a clear protective glass like top on surfaces. Seems like you could glue you pic down then coat the whole top with clear epoxy for a nice effect. http://www.westsystem.com/ss/table-top-applications/

I have thought about doing this with a chart of my home sailing grounds. Would make a pretty nice cabin table top, and useful too.
Ric in Richmond
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Andiamo
Boat Type: Alberg 35

Post by Ric in Richmond »

Wonder if you could do the pic on rice paper that would "disappear" once applied?

One of our friends did a great image using stain of various colors after her floors were sanded and before the finish was put down.

Mixed various darkness of stain and applied. Used varnish to mask areas she didn't want stained.

Very cool.
Ric Bergstrom

http://andiamoadventures.blogspot.com/

Archived old blog:

http://andiamo35.blogspot.com/

~~~~~([\~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~
~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Triton106

Post by Triton106 »

Thanks everyone for the advices and tips. It's very helpful. I went on a couple of the websites mentioned in this thread and decided that I don't have the skills or the patience for marquetry. Decoupage is within my skill level. Looking at the example of the compass rose inlay in the above picture I think what I really like about it is that the image and the background wood color are harmonegous. I searched for compass rose images on Google and just cannot seem to find one that matches the color of my table (Hydrotek marine plywood). I have also thought of using the local SF Bay chart or a world map as the inlay but for the time being my heart seem to set on the compass rose, if I can find one with the right color scheme.
Ray D. Chang
Duncan
Boat Name: Coquine
Boat Type: Cape Dory 27

Post by Duncan »

Triton106 wrote:... the image and the background wood color are harmonegous...
Good word!

I was delighted to see all these ready-made marquetry compass roses at Inlays.com (the site Hirlonde linked to for tips on Marquetry). They are small, but surprisingly affordable.
Cape Dory 10 & 27
MikeD
Boat Name: Totoro
Boat Type: Sea Sprite 23 (#626)

Post by MikeD »

There was a beautiful example on this forum a while ago of a a table with a compass rose that his Dad made him for his boat...

--- found it here ----

http://www.plasticclassicforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=2595

Mike
Totoro (SS23 #626)
Capn_Tom
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Type: Westsail 32

Post by Capn_Tom »

Using the "preformed" inlays that Tim linked would not require much skill or effort using a top bearing pattern bit in your router with a pattern matching the diameter of the compass rose. IMHO I think the end result would be much more impressive than decoupage.
The board does not cut itself short!
Triton106

Post by Triton106 »

Using the "preformed" inlays that Tim linked would not require much skill or effort using a top bearing pattern bit in your router with a pattern matching the diameter of the compass rose
Tom, you don't know my skill level, or lack there of, yet :<)
IMHO I think the end result would be much more impressive than decoupage.
Absolutely agreed! You are right the price is not as bad as I thought (thanks for the link Duncan) but I am really nervous that I will screw it up. But you convinced me enough to rethink my decision.
Ray D. Chang
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

A variation of inlay into the table would be to do the marquetry on a thin piece of plywood, then inlay the whole finished piece into the icebox lid. This way you could be assured you are happy with the design portion of the project first, and the final inlay into the lid would be a more simple circle. The final inlay could even be cut in with a router.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
Duncan
Boat Name: Coquine
Boat Type: Cape Dory 27

Post by Duncan »

I just came across some nice work at

http://www.oceaninlay.com/default.htm

I doubt their work is inexpensive, but they seem to be very capable.
Cape Dory 10 & 27