how to clean varnish from car seat...is it possible?

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
jlroberts280
Deck Grunge Scrubber

how to clean varnish from car seat...is it possible?

Post by jlroberts280 »

My wife spilled a can of Bristol Varnish on her car seat. Without knowing about the spill it remained on the seat until it was completely dry, imbedded in the cloth seat, and very hard. Is this a lost cause or is there something out there that might get this out?
Jon Roberts
Spirit '83 Ericson 35-III
Former owner of VSOP '69 Pearson Coaster #115
South Portland, ME
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Jon,

Is this the two-part Bristol Finish, or a one-part traditional varnish (not sure if there is one called "Bristol").

If it's the two part, was it catalyzed already or just the base? (I haven't used it, so I don't know if just the base would have hardened in the car without being catalyzed.)

My first thought is that you would want to try applying some of whatever thins the varnish to the usual "inconspicuous" place in order to see what it does to the upholstery material. But that might change depending on which exact product the Bristol is.

Rachel
Case
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by Case »

Ouch!

There's one thing you can do: Heat the spilled varnish. Get some hot water and pour it on the varnish spill, see if you can soften it. If that doesn't work, up the ante and boil the water, pour it on. If the varnish softens, scrape it up with a dull knife. I actually first typed "use heat gun" then remembered that it probably will scorch the fabric.

One other option: Just enjoy the varnished car seat, cover it up with a nice new seat cover. In time, the varnish probably will flake off the more you sit on it. The stain probably will be permanent...

I personally am curious about the feel of crunchy varnished seats. It might be an interesting experience.

- Case
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

New car.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

Re-upholster the seat or buy a fluffy sheep skin cover.
-Britton
Work is overrated.

Most everything you read on the Internet is wrong.

The Website
The Blog
jlroberts280
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by jlroberts280 »

I had already tried the suggested manner of cleaning. This of course did not work. I was looking for a miracle cure. Thanks anyway. Love the site.
Jon Roberts
South Portland, ME
jlroberts280
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by jlroberts280 »

FYI: It was the two part already mixed. The "feel" of the seat now is not comfortable.
Jon Roberts
South Portland, ME
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Yeah, I bet it's a bit firm...

Before you go the re-upholstery route, you might make sure the foam underneath has not been hardened as well.

A "new" seat from a junkyard is another possibility. Just don't go to a "pick-n-pull" to score some parts for really cheap and then leave your brand new multi-tool there by accident.

I'm just saying.

Rachel
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Quetzal
Boat Type: LeComte North East 38

Post by Quetzalsailor »

I fear that you're looking at replacing something. You may get by with buying a new seat cover from the dealer; buy the hog rings and the special pliers. If the foam is affected then a parting out yard may be the choice; even then you may buy the seat for the foam and the cover from the dealer.

Rather than visiting your parting out yard in the miserable off-season, spend some time on line. Many yards across the country can be contacted, and parts purchased, with a mouse.

Notwithstanding Rachel's concern for leaving tools; I always preferred pulling my own parts because I'd get every bit and bolt, knobs and trim, and I would not be taking shortcuts with acetylene wrenches and clippers. And it's always better to learn how something comes apart using somebody elses' car for practice!

Many's the happy hour I've spent in my youth pulling Studebaker parts, and later for my various Volvos.
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Quetzalsailor wrote: Notwithstanding Rachel's concern for leaving tools; I always preferred pulling my own parts because I'd get every bit and bolt, knobs and trim, and I would not be taking shortcuts with acetylene wrenches and clippers. And it's always better to learn how something comes apart using somebody elses' car for practice!
I agree, Quetzal. I love to get parts from the pick-n-pull for just those reasons. And now each time I do, I'm amortizing the cost of that multi-tool (actually, it was a gift, but still) ;)