Alex Seal Paint

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
gone2ddogs
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: Silver Girl
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Alex Seal Paint

Post by gone2ddogs »

I'm repainting the "ship" and my thoughts are to use Alexseal. My plans are to sand off all 8 layers of old Interlux bright sides and what ever paint used in the past down to the bare gel coat with 80 grit and my new PC 7335 RO sander. Fair the imperfections with epoxy thickened with Colloidal Silica. sand those with the 80 grit. Prime with Alexseal 302 High build primer, sand, Prime with Alexseal 442 grey primer, sand, Topcoat with Alexseal T5200 Midnight blue or T5158 Majestic blue.
#1 Does this seam correct?
#2 Should I bag fairing with epoxy and use the Alexseal Fairing compound?
#3 I'm looking for something darker than Flag Blue anyone seen a boat panted with the Midnight or Majestic blues?
#4 Is a gal of color enough to do the topsides of a Triton?

John
Triton #15
Last edited by gone2ddogs on Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Re: Alex Seal Paint

Post by Tim »

gone2ddogs wrote:I'm repainting the "ship" and my thoughts are to use Alexseal. My plans are to sand off all 8 layers of old Interlux bright sides and what ever paint used in the past down to the bare gel coat with 80 grit and my new PC 7335 RO sander. Fair the imperfections with epoxy thickened with Colloidal Silica. sand those with the 80 grit. Prime with Alexseal 302 High build primer, sand, Prime with Alexseal 442 grey primer, sand, Topcoat with Alexseal T5200 Midnight blue or T5158 Majestic blue.
#1 Does this seam correct?
#2 Should I bag fairing with epoxy and use the Alexseal Fairing compound?
#3 I'm looking for something darker than Flag Blue anyone seen a boat panted with the Midnight or Majestic blues?
#4 Is a gal of color enough to do the topsides of a Triton?
1. Yes, but your fairing filler should be made with microballoons, with only a bit of silica to gain the consistency you want

2. If you have only fine fairing to do, such as minor gouge filling, then use the Alexseal fairing compound. For bulk fairing start with epoxy. You'll need the fine fairing compound to fill the pinholes characteristic of microballoon fairing in any event.

3. The "darker" blues are incrementally darker than flag blue when seen in person, but not drastically so. Flag blue is pretty dark and already looks black under many lighting conditions.

4. Absolutely, even by brush.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating